“Can't wait to stay here again!”
Review of Pod 51 Hotel

Pod 51 Hotel
Ranked #235 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 19 November 2010

I was a traveling to NY for a quick weekend trip alone. I knew this was a small hotel and was very excited to go. The rate for me was hundreds less and I didn't in the least mind sharing a bathroom.

The location is perfect (nice easy walk to Times Square and Madison and Park Ave). Check in was smooth. Room was very cleanly. Bed was comfortable. Never had any issue getting into a bathroom, which was always very clean. It was actually right next to my room and it was always vacant. I have heard complaints of noise, but I never experienced any.

Check out was seamless and the bellman was happy to hold my luggage for couple hours until I had to leave for my flight.

All in all this was a great place. I can't wait to come back again!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled solo

Reviewed 17 November 2010

Hotels in New York City are expensive ... no doubt about it! So if you looking for a budget option (relative to other NYC hotels) the Pod is for you.

As I was travelling Solo I booked the Single Pod with shared bathroom. I was a bit worried about sharing bathrooms before the booking but took comfort in other reviewers who said that sharing a bathroom wasn't a problem.

The room was small but I expected that from the hotel's site. However once you are actually faced with how small it is, it takes a bit of a mind shift to get used to the limited space.

Decor was utilitarian and functional. The room consisted of a bed which was pretty big for a single bed (I'm 6'1" and there was a few inches to spare) and comfortable. There was a small basin with just enough space to store my toiletries, plenty of towels and the room was spotless.

Negatives (not deal breakers but simple things that could make one's stay just that bit better):

The head of my bed was right against the aircon and under the window. The aircon was noisy (especially considering that my head was right by the vent). Even though it was winter there was definitely a need to get ventilation into the room either by opening the window or using the aircon. So I had a choice to open the window and deal with the street noise or use the aircon and deal with its noise. I opted for the latter.

Although the aircon was right by my head and making a noise it became a white noise and I was able to sleep. But I have a dad who I used to hear snore through the walls of our house when I was a kid, so lighter sleepers beware!! I could have moved my bed around and slept at the other end but I couldn't be asked to remake a bed that was tucked in and wasn't bothered by the aircon too much to ask reception to sort it out.

For lighter sleepers you might want to ask for a room as far away from the elevators as possible as they bing everytime they arrive. I didn't notice it from my room (which was the furthest away possible) but I suspect the rooms closer to the elevators would probably be disturbed by the bings. The doors of the room aren't the thickest ...

For those who think that retro is "so now" or like to be nosalgic the 14.4kbs dial up speed of the free wireless internet is ridiculous! I didn't go to NYC to sit and surf the Internet all day so I wasn't expecting South Korea 1000mbs speeds but when Gmail fails to load at times due to the slow connection it gets a bit annoying. One wants to be able to surf the essential sites such as Airway's self check-in, Gmail, Tripadvisor and MTA without having to hit reload several times before it works.

Bathrooms were very clean. They seem to be cleaned several times a day. There were two bathrooms on the floor I was on (11th) and most of the time they were available. At peak times 8am to 9am both were occupied but there was never more than a 5 min wait.

Be aware that not all bathrooms are made equal. Bathroom number two was bigger and had a bigger basin than bathroom number one but both were adequate.
Plenty of hot water and a lovely rain head shower.

One thing that would be great is if the hotel could supply robes. This would be useful when you want to nip to the loo in the middle of the night and don't feel like getting dressed (after a few beers the in-room sink looked very, very tempting but for all you who are thinking, "Oh my gosh he didn't did he??", I didn't...) and also after a shower it would be great not having to get dressed in the bathrooms (although I walked through the corridors with a towel around my waist putting anyone who walked passed me off their breakfast).

Roof deck is worth going up and having a look at all the skyscrapers and huge apartment blocks. One soon realises that New Yorkers live in tiny places too and the cramped conditions aren't only reserved to one's hotel room! Great for nightime photography with a tripod and in summer I would expect it would be a great place to hang out. There is a sign saying hours of operation are between 9am and 9pm but I went up there at 11pm and it was still open. Even though there was a security cam no one came to tell me to leave so I suspect they may not enforce those hours?

All in all I was happy with my stay at the Pod. Reception staff did their job but weren't overly attentive (not that I had much to do with them). Rooms are clean and deliver what they promise (don't compare prices with other cities - even London - you're just going to upset yourself) and the location is great for Midtown shopping and sightseeing.

If I were to go back to NYC I'd definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled solo
2  Thank HerschB
Reviewed 16 November 2010

Me and my son stayed here for the weekend and we're amazed by the hotel itself. Although the rooms are pretty small (which was expected), the overall stay was great. Close to the subway, shops, theatre district, restaurants. We loved the rainhead showers! And there's an eatery just at the corner of 51st and 3rd where there's a take out buffet. You can grab food, bring it up to the roof top patio and eat your meal with a bottle of wine with a great view of the city. There's also a grocery store on the corner of 51st and 2nd where you can purchase wine/beer/alcohol. If you're travelling with a friend, the bunk beds are the best value. Will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 November 2010

I would recommend this hotel for a short/shopping break in New York. Its located just a short walk from 5th. avenue behind the Waldorf Astoria. There is a subway station a block away that serves Union Square and goes straight downtown. The only thing is the rooms were compact, but I suppose its not called the pod for nothing! It kind of reminded me of being on a ship but the rooms were spotlessly clean. We had a shared bathroom but there was never a problem waiting for a bathroom, as there were 3 to choose from on the floor and a light in the rooms to let us know when the bathrooms were free. I would definately stay here again for price and location.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 November 2010

Nothing to say except that this was a good hotel and the rooms were clean and modern. A bit small though, but that's NY. It' also worth remembering that noise travels into the rooms from both the hallway and the street outside. We heard a lot from our fellow guests' activities. Definitely worth staying here though!

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 November 2010

What a cool vibe this place has, I felt like I was in a pop-art exhibition. The room was tiny!! Like they built the bed first and then constructed the hotel around it. There was such little room for luggage, but we made do. There’s way too much to see outside of the hotel room anyway (this is NYC after all), the only thing I really saw in the room was the inside of my eyelids while I was sleeping. The hotel is in a good location, close enough to the subway. Being in this city you should accept that you are going to walk a whole lot. There were nice eateries close by and late night convenience stores. Ess-a-Bagel on 831 3rd Avenue (51st/52nd Sts) is a must and is only a 2 minute stroll from The Pod.

The nightly rate was $197USD, not too bad for an expensive city. But do not expect a whole lot of space for your money. You should expect a clean, organised room in a safe area to rest your weary blistered feet.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 November 2010

The Location of the NY Pod Hotel is ideal for a short touristic trip. 10 min walk to 5th avenue for those of you that are into shopping
Legendary Steakhouse Smith and Wollensky is just a 5 min walk down 3rd Avenue.
The highlight of the hotel is the cosy rooftop terrace. To see new york in its nighttime beauty is a marvellous experience

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with friends