“Small, but served its purpose”

Econo Lodge Times Square
Ranked #270 of 471 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 17 July 2012

To say our room in this hotel was small is an understatement, but to be honest, it was cheap and central, and that's all we needed. If you are visiting NYC for pleasure and just want somewhere to keep your luggage and sleep in, this hotel is fine. It was clean enough, and the continental breaky (pastries etc) every morning was OK. Staff were very helpful and friendly.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Lindi T, Guest Relations Manager at Econo Lodge Times Square, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2012

Hi there! Thank you for taking a moment to comment on your stay. We are glad you had a pleasant experience at our hotel. We take pride in the cleanliness and aim at creating a comfortable stay for our guests. Hope to see you the next time you plan to visit NYC.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,270)

Reviewed 12 July 2012

I stayed at the Econo Lodge for 6 nights at the end of June. The staff were remarkably friendly and helpful. The rooms are not huge but are bigger than other NYC hotels I've stayed in before. The continental breakfast is enough to start your day with bagels, pastries, cereal and coffee.

The location is perfect for anyone planning to see a few shows. We were only a few blocks away from any theatre we needed to walk to.

I will stay here again on my next visit and certainly recommend it to anyone else!

Room Tip: Ask for a room further away from the street to minimize noise from the all night traffic.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank traveladdicted4

Very nice! It makes us proud to know that our friendly staff were able to take such good care of you. We are also glad you enjoyed our continental breakfast selection.Thank you for your recommendation, and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 11 July 2012

In June 2012, My husband and I had tickets to a show. So we decided it would be more convenient to stay in the city since I am a paraplegic and in a wheelchair, and we didn't want to travel home so late. When I called to reserve a room, I spoke to Nigel at the front desk, and specifically requested a handicap accessible room. Also, I made sure there were elevators and handicap entrances/exits. Nigel reassured us that we would be staying in a wheelchair accessible room and the hotel was as well. When we got to our room, it wasn't AT ALL handicap accessible, let alone wheelchair accessible. We asked Nigel if he could switch us to a different room and he said "there were no more rooms available in the hotel...all booked up". He went on to say that the "girl" that reserved our room "made a mistake and he would give her a call and get back to us". When I told him I couldn't fit into the bathroom, shower, and could hardly move about the room, he said he would "gladly check us out of the hotel, free of charge and we could stay somewhere else". After an hour of Nigel blaming the "girl" that messed up our reservation, he finally credited a few dollars back on our card. I was hoping he would just apologize and take responsibility for his mistake. But he insisted that I "must not have told the girl that I was handicap". I have been a paraplegic for almost 10 years and spend about 90% of my time in my wheelchair. I am still offended beyond belief. But he denied that we ever spoke while making the reservation. I wasn't able to shower, I barely slept, and my husband had to pick me up and put me on and off of the toilet whenever necessary. I called Econo Lodge Headquarters to make a complaint and nobody will return my calls...It's been a month now. My family, friends and I take frequent trips, in and out of state. Whether it's to eat dinner, shop, see a show, or on business. We will never stay at an Econo Lodge/Choice Hotels again!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Karyn G
Management response:Responded 12 July 2012

I would like to offer my sincerest apologies for the inconveniences that you experienced during your stay. An experience such as the one you described is taken very seriously by all of us here at the Econo Lodge Times Square Hotel, and we look forward to an opportunity to make it better. Although I cannot undo what happened, I would like to personally discuss your recent stay, and hopefully you will give us the opportunity to restore your faith in us.
I appreciate your feedback, as this helps us become the very best that we can be, and I look forward to speaking with you directly concerning your recent stay. I may be contacted at 212-246-1991, or lindi@econolodgetimessquare.com. In the meantime, we remain fully at your service and look forward to the chance of welcoming you back to the Econo Lodge Times Square Hotel.

Lindi

Reviewed 8 July 2012

The front desk staff were incredibly friendly and helpful. In particular Natasha who was there the day I arrived, and I believe her name was Serena, when I checked out. I arrived 3 hours prior to check in and the staff happily stored my luggage for me and offered me the continental breakfast even though I hadn't yet checked in. On top of that, they even let me store my luggage for 4 hours after I checked out the next day so I could continue my site seeing trip without finding a storage area for my bags. They even gave me tips for hailing a cab without making me feel stupid having never done it before. Yes, the rooms are small, but I was only there for a few hours to sleep, so no need to have a huge luxurious place to lay my head. The room was probably the cleanest I've ever stayed in, the bed was very comfortable, and as a woman travelling by herself I felt extremely safe. I even appreciated the healthy choices of fruit, yogurt and cereal for the continental breakfast. The location is perfect too . . . just 1 1/2 blocks from Times Square! What more could you ask for? If I ever come back to NYC I'll be staying at Econo Lodge Times Square and will recommend it to anyone I know travelling to NYC. Thanks for the great stay!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
Management response:Responded 12 July 2012

We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us at the Econo Lodge Times Square.
Natasha and Sh’keema are new editions to our small group of friendly staff. We make every effort to fulfill our guest needs. We will convey your gratitude to them. Hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 5 July 2012

Got a free night's stay through Choice Hotels' Best Rate Guarantee program. The front desk staff was incredibly friendly, I was able to drop my bag off in the morning and then come back and check in about two hours early which was greatly appreciated. My room was clean but very small, and when I went in the desk was positioned in such a way that I basically had to climb over it to get to the bed; fortunately I was able to fit it neatly in front of the wardrobe. Can't comment on breakfast because I was up late and didn't wake up before it ended. Overall a satisfactory experience and I would certainly consider staying there again.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank frozenactivist
Management response:Responded 12 July 2012

Thank you for taking a moment to write a review. Our Housekeeping takes great pride in maintaining the cleanliness of or rooms and providing guest satisfaction. We are hoping to see you again, soon.

Reviewed 1 July 2012

We are just back home after spending 9 glorious nights in NYC. We loved our stay at the Econo Lodge Times Square. The rooms are small, but clean and have everything you need. The front desk staff were extremely pleasant and helpful, especially Trinita! Thank you all for a wonderful holiday. We will be back!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Management response:Responded 4 July 2012

Hello! We are please that you enjoyed NYC and the Econo Lodge. Trinita is one of our friendly front desk agents. We will extend your thanks to her. See you soon!

Reviewed 29 June 2012

My daughter and I stayed here for 3 nights and were very pleased. The rooms were small, but very nice and clean. Breakfast was included, which was enough to satisfy us untill lunch. The staff, from the front desk workers to the housekeeping staff were very nice and friendly. There wasn't one time that we were in the lobby, that someone didn't speak to us. The location is great, just a few blocks from Broadway. As we were 2 woman traveling alone, we felt very safe in the neighborhood. One block over is restaurant row, which had a big variety of restaurants. I would highly recommend this hotel for lacation and value.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank janet31754
Management response:Responded 4 July 2012

Thank you for the recommendation. Hearing that all the staff met your expectations is a great compliment. Our hotel is centrally located and very close to various attractions and transportation. Thank you again and hope to see you soon.