“Good place to stay”

Ranked #255 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Hamilton, Canada
“Good place to stay”
Reviewed 30 December 2013

I just stayed here over the Christmas holidays and it was a great. The location is great, the staff was friendly and the room was pretty clean. The rooms are extremely small, as it has been said before. I've stayed in other hotels in NYC and this was by far the smallest (there is literally maybe a foot on each side of the bed - no real room of lots of luggage). But again, small rooms are normal for NYC. I'd stay here again and recommend this hotel!

Room Tip: Higher level rooms will provide a little relief from the traffic noise. It's a block from Times...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Daisy S, Guest Relations Manager at Econo Lodge Times Square, responded to this review, 6 January 2014
Hello and Thank You for choosing Econo Lodge Times Square,

Thank you for your kind review. We are glad your stay here with us during the Holidays was great! There is no better place to be during the Holidays but NYC, it is beautiful. The staff here at Econo Lodge Times Square takes pride in their everyday work and we are glad we were able to meet all your needs and requests. We are also glad to know location was suitable and convenient for you. On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologize for failing to exceed your expectations of our room’s square footage. The rooms are small but the beds are very comfortable and clean as you mentioned. Your satisfaction is important to us and we will be using the feedback you provided to make improvements to ensure we offer an exceptional experience for our guests in the future.
Feel free to reach out to reservations@econolodgetimessqaure.com for any future reservations to inform you about our different room type categories that may be suitable for you and your guests. Also note that for any future stays we can also store your personal luggage in our storage room to provide more moving space in the guest rooms. Our goal is to provide exceptional service to all of our guests and again we apologize for failing to do so.

We appreciate your comment as it means a lot to us:
“I'd stay here again and recommend this hotel!”

We look forward to seeing you again;

Econo Lodge Times Square Team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Washington, DC
Reviewed 29 December 2013

First off I have to say all five young people at the front desk were professional, well-trained and able to mange multiple interactions with multiple guests simultaneously with expertise. And every one of them seemed genuinely friendly and bought into service culture. That's a BIG plus to me.

The location, one block from Times Square and walking distance to our favorite NYC restaurant in Columbus Circle, is also a BIG plus.

What's NOT so big is the room we had. I've had small rooms in Paris, Venice and New York before. I believe our room was 8 feet by 8 feet. There was no place to put our luggage except the windowsill and small cramped hallway - it would not fit on the floor between the bed and the wall on any side of the bed, and we only travel with luggage that meets airline overhead size restrictions. Now I have to admit the room was clean, and smelled nice, but it was beat up a bit (patchwork wallpaper) and the bed was comfortable on one side but not the other.

Other observations about this hotel:

The 19" tv had problems with over half the channels (a black window would appear in the middle with a bunch of code - see pic attached to review). Ironically, the screen size did not seem small, relative to the tiny room.

The elevator worked off and on, and I felt sorry for the Italian guest who were lugging huge suitcases up the cramped, dimly lit staircase.

There was a note posted on each floor apologizing for the telephones not working as well.

We are generally loyal to Choice hotels but I don't think I could stand a room this small again, even though we only come back to the room to shower and sleep. And I can't imagine the problems with the tv, elevator, telephones was a symphony of anomalies. Oh, I forgot to mention the cracked sink in the bathroom (pic) and the fights, sirens and endless honking outside the hotel until 3am on Saturday.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Hello and Thank You for choosing Econo Lodge Times Square,

Thank you for your kind review. The staff here at Econo Lodge Times Square takes pride in their everyday work and we are glad we were able to meet all your requests. We are glad to know location was suitable and convenient for you. On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologize for failing to exceed your expectations of our room’s square footage. The rooms are small but the beds are very comfortable and clean as you mentioned. Thank you for the television feedback, we will further investigate this particular room and assure the television channels are working properly. Please note that during the duration of your stay we had a few Verizon lines go down in the neighborhood which affected the hotel telephones and television lines in the rooms. This was an issue that was completely out of the hotel hands and the city was directly dealing with. Our elevator also went out for a short period of time and our technicians were immediately called for further investigation. Your satisfaction is important to us and we will be using the feedback you provided to make improvements to ensure we offer an exceptional experience for our guests in the future. We are pleased to hear that you are loyal guest to Choice Hotels. We understand that you probably will not join us in the near future due to the room’s square footage however please be advise that you were reserved to one of the smaller guest rooms the hotel has. Feel free to reach out to reservations@econolodgetimessqaure.com for any future reservations to inform you about our different room type categories that may be suitable for you and your guests. Our goal is to provide exceptional service to all of our guests and again we apologize for failing to do so.

We appreciate your comment as it means a lot to us:
“First off I have to say all five young people at the front desk were professional, well-trained and able to manage multiple interactions with multiple guests simultaneously with expertise. And every one of them seemed genuinely friendly and bought into service culture. That's a BIG plus to me.”

Melbourne, Florida, Usa
Reviewed 21 December 2013

Looking for an economic place to stay and visit New York then this Econo Lodge is it. Conveniently located within two miles of Times Square, the hotel is clean and affordable. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Daisy S, Guest Relations Manager at Econo Lodge Times Square, responded to this review, 13 January 2014
Hello and Thank You for choosing Econo Lodge Times Square,

Thank you for your kind review. The staff here at Econo Lodge Times Square takes pride in their everyday work and we are glad we were able to meet all your needs and requests as well. We are glad to know location was suitable and convenient for you. As you mentioned our rooms are clean and affordable and we appreciate your positive feedback.

We appreciate your comment as it means a lot to us:
“Would definitely stay again”

Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed 17 December 2013

Pros: Great location. Very helpful and friendly staff. The room was tiny, but that is expected and not needed since we spent our time in the city. The room was very clean and smelled nice.

Cons: Please read the terms and conditions first. I booked online. Three days before our trip an authorization was on my bank account for the first night total. Then, when we checked in, the staff stated they would put the total for the stay plus an additonal $821.00 on my debit card. We ended up paying cash because It was a headache.

Room Tip: We asked for a view and got a great view of the street. The room provided ear plugs, so road noise w...
Green Features: I am glad I stayed at a hotel with environmentally-friendly practices. That is important to me.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Daisy S, Guest Relations Manager at Econo Lodge Times Square, responded to this review, 23 December 2013
Hello and Thank You for choosing Econo Lodge Times Square,

Thank you for your kind review. The staff here at Econo Lodge Times Square takes pride in their everyday work and we are glad we were able to meet all your needs and requests as well. On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologize for the inconvenience our hotel policy has caused. Unfortunately, with debit card transactions the system automatically places a hold aside from the charge being made. Please note the authorization done 3 days before arrival is a just hold to verify that the card on file is valid. If you are paying with the same card placed on file that authorization will later become a charge upon check-in. Please note you are only being charged once and not twice. Your satisfaction is important to us and we will be using the feedback you provided to make improvements to ensure we offer an exceptional experience for our guests in the future.

aberdeen
Reviewed 10 December 2013

My daughter and I stayed for seven nights, ok the rooms were small but the beds were clean and comfortable and you are only there to sleep. There was a hair dryer, iron, ironing board and a safe in the room too.
The location was perfect within walking distance of many tourist attractions and shopping, we only had to use the subway a couple of times to go down to the Battery Park area, because that is to far to walk !
The staff were very friendly, helpful and made you feel very welcome, any requests were seen to right away. The coffee, tea, hot chocolate or iced water in the lobby at anytime was very convenient, in fact I don't think we ever passed on the way in, without helping ourselves to a cup, again the complimentary breakfast was enough to get you going for the day, if it was busy when we went down we just took it up to our room.
If we were returning to New York, we would definitely stay at the Econo Lodge again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank gwindles
Daisy S, Guest Relations Manager at Econo Lodge Times Square, responded to this review, 13 December 2013
Hello and Thank You for choosing Econo Lodge Times Square,

Thank you for your kind review. The staff here at Econo Lodge Times Square takes pride in their everyday work and we are glad we were able to meet all your needs and requests as well. We are glad to know location was suitable and convenient for you. On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologize for failing to exceed your expectations of our room’s square footage. The rooms are small but the beds are very comfortable and clean as you mentioned. Your satisfaction is important to us and we will be using the feedback you provided to make improvements to ensure we offer an exceptional experience for our guests in the future. We are pleased to hear that the complementary coffee, tea, hot chocolate, and iced water in the lobby were convenient to you when coming in from your daily outings. Our goal is to provide exceptional service to all of our guests.

“Perfect hotel for us”

Reviewed 9 December 2013 via mobile

When we arrived to the hotel we were greeted by a lovely girl at reception who we chatted away with, I had said I wanted to pay the few for the hotel by card and she advised me that if it is a debit card that the hotel can incur an extra authorisation hold on some money and not release the funds for 30-60 days, I immediately said no and decided to pay in cash which I did and that was fine.. Later that evening when I was checking my
Bank balance I seen that the money was also taken
From my account!! I went downstairs to the same girl and told her, she advised that she contacted the bank and they said it was only a hold and be be returned straight away. I found it quite odd and off putting that she had chose not to give me
A heads up about this when she first cancelled my card transaction, she just waited until I came
Down
Querying it, maybe she was hoping I wouldn't notice and it would go back in on time I'm
Not sure, anyhow I was happy it was going straight back in and left it at that. However three days later and still no money returned, massive nuisance for me as my holiday was almost over and I was down 600 dollars!! I had to go back and
Forth 3/4 times about this and finally they did get it put back onto my card. After this happened I remembered that I had used a friends card to confirm and preauthorise the first nights stay
Booking three days before I arrived and was told by email that it would return in 3-5 days, so I got onto him and of course the money still wasn't returned.. Still hasn't been returned!!! Again I was advised of this 30-60 day [--] , obviously I was very annoyed as it had now seemed like I was charged three times for one booking!!!! Another hour or two of nuisance caused by having to contact banks to get numbers etc so they could stop the hold on the money and
Still nothing as of yet. I'm
Sure if this hotel was booked by credit card or cash it would have been a lot better but DO NOT pay by debit card as you will have to chase them
For the money back! A great location and decent rooms for the price but absolutely shocking in terms of messing
You about money wise... You need to make your customers aware of the terms
And conditions and not just by having it on a sign in reception after you arrive!!!!

• Stayed December 2013
1 Thank Cathyhaughey
Hello and Thank You for choosing Econo Lodge Times Square,

The staff here at Econo Lodge Times Square takes pride in their everyday work. We apologize for the inconvenience the credit card hold has caused you. As mentioned upon your stay the process should not have taken as long as it did. This is a procedure that should have been cleared the following day. As per the credit card hold on the active booking you reserved; it was not a charge but just an authorization that was made 3 days before your arrival date to ensure the credit card was valid as hotel policy. We took all the necessary steps to expedite the process and again we apologize for any inconvenience. On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologize for failing to exceed your expectations. Your satisfaction is important to us and we will be using the feedback you provided to make improvements to ensure we offer an exceptional experience for our guests in the future.

Again, thank you for your time and valuable feedback. We sincerely appreciate your response and hope you will give us another chance to provide you with superior service and accommodations on your next visit to New York.

Please feel free to reach out to my direct email if you feel this issue was not rectify to your satisfaction at: Kathy@econolodgetimessquare.com

lebanon
Reviewed 25 November 2013

perfect location.got there late at night.my room was ready.staff was so kind.coffee was available 24h at the reception.room was very clean.i was expecting a bigger room, i was surprised but i did not spend time in there except at night.so it was ok being solo.just behind times square, location was perfect to walk or to find a bus.the only problem was the elevator.only one and very slow.i highly recommend this hotel.value for money was perfect.i will definitely check in again in the future.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank alda z
Daisy S, Guest Relations Manager at Econo Lodge Times Square, responded to this review, 27 November 2013
Hello and Thank You for choosing Econo Lodge Times Square,

Thank you for your review. The staff here at Econo Lodge Times Square takes pride in their everyday work and we are glad we were able to meet all your needs and requests as well. We are glad to know location was suitable and convenient for you. On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologize for failing to exceed your expectations of our room’s square footage and the elevator working slow. The rooms are small but the beds are very comfortable and clean as you mentioned. Your satisfaction is important to us and we will be using the feedback you provided to make improvements to ensure we offer an exceptional experience for our guests in the future. We are pleased to hear that our 24 hour complimentary coffee in the lobby is a plus; nothing cannot compare to a good cup of coffee to prepare for a long day of sightseeing and traveling in New York City.

Thank you for the comment, this really means a lot to the staff here at Econo Lodge Times Square. –

“i highly recommend this hotel.value for money was perfect.i will definitely check in again in the future.”