“Great customer service, but you get what you pay for. Don't expect the Ritz.”

Econo Lodge Times Square
Ranked #258 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Wailuku, Hawaii
“Great customer service, but you get what you pay for. Don't expect the Ritz.”
Reviewed 5 May 2014 via mobile

After I booked the Hilton for the wrong night, I needed to find a place to stay asap. Hotwire placed us here and we walked a few blocks in the pouring rain, with our luggage to the hotel. Lol When we got there, we were warmly greeted by the front desk staff and quickly checked in. What a relief. The room was on the 8th floor, and when we walked in, it seemed as if the maid had just sprayed 2 whole bottles of fabreeze in there. It was very thick. After about 5-10 minutes of light choking on the fabreeze, we unpacked all the stuff we needed. The room was tiny tiny tiny, but I guess that's to be expected in NYC. I mean, the wifey and I are not big people, but there were places that we needed to squeeze by each other, that's how small it was. After a night on the town in the rain, we got back and fell a sleep. We were woken at 3am by a loud knock at the door, by someone who was supposedly given our room number to stay in, in error. Luckily I had put on the door latch, when we go in, or he would've walked right in with me and my wife fast asleep! After going to the door and telling him we were there, we got a call from the front desk, asking for our name!? After I told them what they wanted, no explanation was given, and she hung up. I was not pleased at this point, and called them back to find out what was going on. It looks like there was a miscommunication with the day and night staff, and that they had given that guy out room to stay in. We eventually fell back asleep, and the next day when we checked out, they had a card for us apologizing for the mixup. All in all, even with that A.M. mishap, it wasn't that bad. Everyone there was friendly and cordial, and if I needed to, I would stay there again.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Daisy S, Guest Relations Manager at Econo Lodge Times Square, responded to this review, 8 May 2014
Hello and Thank You for choosing Econo Lodge Times Square,

Thank you for your review. I am sorry to hear that you experienced a rough night in NYC after realizing you booked the incorrect dates at another Hotel. We are happy to know that upon arrival to the Econo Lodge Times Square Hotel you were warmly greeted and quickly checked-in. The staff here at Econo Lodge Times Square takes pride in their everyday work. On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologize for failing to exceed your expectations with the issues that transpired during your stay. I understand that upon entering your room there was strong smell of air refresher that made you feel very uncomfortable and on behalf of the team I would like to apologize for that. After further investigation we found that the room had just been serviced and this was the reason why the scent was a little bit stronger than usual. I would also like to apologize for failing to exceed your expectations with the room’s square footage. As you mentioned the rooms are tiny however we do offer other options like our Superior Queen and Deluxe Double Guestrooms which provide additional square footage for extra room. In the future please be sure to contact the hotel directly so we can assist you in selecting the room type which may be a best fit for you and/or your family. We understand you were woken up early morning hours and we are extremely sorry that this transpired. Unfortunately there was a glitch in the system which caused a misunderstanding with your room. We take our privacy and security measures very serious and rest assure this will not happen again. Please note that we have followed up with the designated individual in regards to the matter. Your satisfaction is important to us and we have used the feedback you have provided to make improvements to ensure we offer an exceptional experience for our guests in the future.

“Great customer service”

“Everyone there was friendly and cordial, and if I needed to, I would stay there again.”

Econo Lodge Times Square

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Galilee
Reviewed 2 May 2014

We Stayed in Econo lodge Times Square for six days in mid-April. The hotel is situated in in an excellent location, a short walk from 50th street subway station that takes you in a 40 minutes ride to JFK, and to most of Manhattan's attractions that are not walkable – though many are in a walking distance. Though it is located a five minutes' walk from busy Times Square, we felt very safe at nights. All of The staff members were extremely friendly and helpful and we felt very welcome. As for The room – it was clean and tidy, though very small, as one can expect from a Mid-town hotel. The complimentary breakfast was not fancy but it was a sufficient start for a walking day. The price that we've paid was quite modest, comparing the other equivalent Manhattan hotels.
There were three tolerated downfalls: one was the shower, for the unstable flow of hot water. We've complained about it and the stuff did check it out twice, but with no results. We felt discomfort to complain again because we did not want to nag, but it will be for the benefit of this lovely hotel to tackle this problem in order to avoid such complaints from future guests.
The second was the street noise, but the earplugs supplied by the hotel helped to ease that uncomforting a bit...
The third was the tiny space for breakfast. Only five small tables in the narrow lobby, and sometimes it got a little crowded...

Overall - a nice and pleasant stay, in a lovely little hotel!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank JacobGalilee
Daisy S, Guest Relations Manager at Econo Lodge Times Square, responded to this review, 5 May 2014
Hello and Thank You for choosing Econo Lodge Times Square,

Thank you for your review. The staff here at Econo Lodge Times Square takes pride in their everyday work and we are glad the location was suitable and convenient for you. On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologize for failing to exceed your expectations with the maintenance issue which transpired during your stay. Please note that the matter was suddenly unexpected and we were working around the clock to fix as quickly as possible. I would also like to apologize for failing to exceed your expectations with the room’s square footage. As you mentioned the rooms are small but clean and tidy. Please note that we also offer our Superior Queen and Deluxe Double Guestrooms which provide additional square footage for extra room. In the future please be sure to contact the hotel directly so we can assist you in selecting the room type which may be a best fit for you and/or your family. I would also like to apologize with the street noise you encountered during your stay. In the future please do not hesitate to call the Front Desk so we may accommodate you in a room on a higher floor which is quieter. Please note that we can also provide a white noise machine and ear plugs for the inconvenience. Times Square is very busy and the noise can be overbearing at times so again our apologies. In regards to the breakfast bar area we apologize about the space. Please note that sometimes our lobby can be very busy during rush hour from 7am-9am. We welcome our guests to enjoy their breakfast in the privacy of their room for personal comfort. Your satisfaction is important to us and we have used the feedback you have provided to make improvements to ensure we offer an exceptional experience for our guests in the future.

We appreciate your comment as it means a lot to us:
““lovely 'Econo' hotel in Mid-Town Manhattan”

“All of The staff members were extremely friendly and helpful and we felt very welcome.”

“As for The room – it was clean and tidy, though very small, as one can expect from a Mid-town hotel.”

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Reviewed 27 April 2014

The hotel was nice, a bit out dated. Breakfast was ok but I recommend to switch it up because it's the same breakfast every morning. The rooms are very tiny but comfortable. I will like to thank stephanie (front desk receptionist) for the early check in! She was nice and always willing to help. If I come back to NY I will stay here again

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank j_souza1
Daisy S, Guest Relations Manager at Econo Lodge Times Square, responded to this review, 1 May 2014
Hello and Thank You for choosing Econo Lodge Times Square,

Thank you for your kind review. The staff here at Econo Lodge Times Square takes pride in their every day work and we are glad the location was suitable and convenient for you. I would like to apologize for failing to exceed your expectations with the room’s square footage. As you mentioned the rooms are small but most importantly comfortable. Please note that we also offer our Superior Queen and Deluxe Double Guestrooms which provide additional square footage for extra room. In the future please be sure to contact the hotel directly so we can assist you in selecting the room type which may be a best fit for you and/or your family. We are sorry to hear that the breakfast menu bar items were the same throughout the duration of your stay. Normally the breakfast items are changed on a monthly basis and we are working to towards a daily change. I also like to apologize for the hotel being a bit outdated for you, we are always looking to improve and renovate so on your future return you will see more changes and upgrades. Stephanie was excited to hear the nice comments you provided to TripAdvisor about her; as to how helpful she was with you and the early check-in that was honored. Your satisfaction is important to us and we will be using the feedback you provided to make improvements to ensure we offer an exceptional experience for our guests in the future.

“Nice and comfortable”

“I will like to thank stephanie (front desk receptionist) for the early check in! She was nice and always willing to help.”

“If I come back to NY I will stay here again”

Canada
Reviewed 26 April 2014

My husband and I are home from our 2 day visit to NYC. We were extremely happy with this hotel. It was very reasonably priced. It has small rooms but they are clean and comfortable. The front desk was very attentive and had great advice for things to do, places to see and how to save money on transportation to the airport. We didn't get a chance to take advantage of the breakfast each morning because of our schedule but there was always coffee available. And you couldn't ask for a better location!!!! We will definitely stay again and we have already recommended the hotel to friends thinking of visiting NYC.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Rebecca985
Daisy S, Guest Relations Manager at Econo Lodge Times Square, responded to this review, 30 April 2014
Hello and Thank You for choosing Econo Lodge Times Square,

Thank you for your kind review. The staff here at Econo Lodge Times Square takes pride in their everyday work and we are glad the location was suitable and convenient for you. I would like to apologize for failing to exceed your expectations with the room’s square footage. As you mentioned the rooms are small but most importantly clean and comfortable. Please note that we also offer our Superior Queen and Deluxe Double Guestrooms which provide additional square footage for extra room. In the future please be sure to contact the hotel directly so we can assist you in selecting the room type which may be a best fit for you and/or your family. We are sorry to hear you were not able to enjoy our delicious breakfast due to your schedule, we hoped that the 24 hour coffee served in the lobby helped you start your daily adventures. The staff was excited to hear you were extremely happy with the hotel and was thankful for the comments said about them being very attentive and also looking to stay again in the near future. Your satisfaction is important to us and we will be using the feedback you provided to make improvements to ensure we offer an exceptional experience for our guests in the future.

We appreciate your comment as it means a lot to us:
“We were extremely happy with this hotel.”

“The front desk was very attentive and had great advice for things to do, places to see and how to save money on transportation to the airport.”

“And you couldn't ask for a better location!!!! We will definitely stay again and we have already recommended the hotel to friends thinking of visiting NYC.”

Reviewed 24 April 2014

Just got back from our 4 night stay. It's in a great location, really close to Times Square. The room was a bit small, but we were out for most of the day anyway, so just needed somewhere to sleep really. The staff were all incredibly helpful and friendly. Would stay again!

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank Lauz0386
Hello and Thank You for choosing Econo Lodge Times Square,

Thank you for your kind review. The staff here at Econo Lodge Times Square takes pride in their everyday work and we are glad the location was suitable and convenient for you. On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologize for failing to exceed your expectations with the room’s square footage. Please be advised that we can also store your luggage for you at no additional charge if further space is needed in the guestroom. Please note that we also offer our Superior Queen and Deluxe Double Guestrooms which provide additional square footage for extra room. In the future please be sure to contact the hotel directly so we can assist you in selecting the room type which may be a best fit for you and/or your family. Your satisfaction is important to us and we will be using the feedback you provided to make improvements to ensure we offer an exceptional experience for our guests in the future.

We appreciate your comment as it means a lot to us:
“Great location, great staff!”

“The staff were all incredibly helpful and friendly. Would stay again!”

Tokyo, Japan
Reviewed 24 April 2014

(Positive point) ロケーション良し、スタッフ良し、お値段も良し、朝食も良し! チェックイン当日、冷蔵庫のリクエストをしたところ、部屋に小さな冷蔵庫を持ってきてくれました。 特にジェシカというレセプションの女の子はいつも気遣ってくれ、とっても気持ちの良い声掛けをしてくれ、また泊まりたい気持ちでいっぱいになりました。 ブロードウェイのチケットが安く買えるTKTSまで徒歩3分ほど。 スーパーも近くにあり。 Location is very good. I would like to say thank you especially to Jessica. She is one of reception lady who takes care of customers very nice and friendly. And also supporting staff are very nice too.

(Negative point) タオルに汚れがあることもありましたが、たぶん言えばすぐに変えてもらえると思います。 他の書き込み通り、部屋は狭いです。 初日、私の部屋だけ暖房がきいていなかったようで、とっても寒い思いをしました。が、その件でもすぐに対応- してくれ、最終的にはオイルヒーターを持ってきてくれました。 大通りに近いので、夜はクラクションの音や消防車・警察車両の音でうるさいですが、部屋に耳栓もあり、欠点- は補おうとしている姿勢がとても好印象です。 I saw some towels were bit dirty. But I think if you tell them, then they will change. The room was very small. If you open your suit case half, then it works. The first day, my room was very cold, but they bring me a oil heating, so there was no problem. The night was noisy with the firefighter's car and police's car, but there are earplugs in the room. So, this is also no problem.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Hello and Thank You for choosing Econo Lodge Times Square,

Thank you for your review. The staff here at Econo Lodge Times Square takes pride in their everyday work and we are glad the location was suitable and convenient for you. On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologize for failing to exceed your expectations with the room’s square footage. Please be advised that we can also store your luggage for you at no additional charge if further space is needed in the guestroom. Please note that we also offer our Superior Queen and Deluxe Double Guestrooms which provide additional square footage for extra room. In the future please be sure to contact the hotel directly so we can assist you in selecting the room type which may be a best fit for you and/or your family. Thank you for feedback regarding the murky towels, we take cleanliness matters very serious and have followed up with the designated department and associate whom serviced the room. Also we like to apologize for the room being cold on the first day; because is Spring and the temperature is above 55* degrees by law NYC hotels and buildings do not turn on boilers but provide individual room heaters to assure their guests are satisfied and most importantly warm. I also like to apologize for the noise you experienced throughout the night with the fire fighter trucks and police cars. Please note that due the location we are located in at times cannot control the noise but provide ear plugs for light sleepers; again our apologies regarding this matter. We will be sure to place you and yours in a higher floor on a future return for comfort and a good night sleep. Your satisfaction is important to us and the feedback you have provided we have used to make improvements to the hotel. We always want to ensure we offer an exceptional experience for our guests in the future.

We appreciate your comment as it means a lot to us:
“Location is very good. I would like to say thank you especially to Jessica. She is one of reception lady who takes care of customers very nice and friendly. And also supporting staff are very nice too.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 April 2014

Location = out of this world!
Staff = all were attentive, friendly and accomodating (esp when there was no hot water when we arrived and they paid for us to take a cab to their sister hotel a few blocks away)
Breakfast = well stocked right up until the last minute along with tea and coffee available whenever you wanted!
Hotel room = a squeeze but fresh and clean. Bed and pillows were comfortable. However, manager really needs to look into new shower heads! There must have been a water tank problem at the time as there were a few problems related to hot water and the toilet not flushing!!!!!!
Other = the free WiFi code changed day to day so you have to keep on top of this if you want to make use of it. I feel a better selection of fruit should have been on offer for breakfast but the rest the food provided was great.
My first visit to the USA and the location along with friendly staff has resulted in me considering this hotel again if I go back to NYC.

Room Tip: The higher the better, although cross your fingers that the elevator works!