“Agreed - clean, good value, great location”

Econo Lodge Times Square
Ranked #262 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 18 October 2009

We banked on the reviews here and stayed 2 nights while seeing shows in NYC. The review were right. This is somewhat of a hidden gem. The value ($169.99) was very good. The locaiton is fantastic - within 1-2 blocks of most theaters, short walk to Times Square, and 1 "long block" to 9th Avenue where there are tons of restaurants (and more on 8th Avenue too). The room we had was exceptionally small -- really little more than a bed, desk and bathroom. There was literally one foot on one side of the bed and one foot space at the foot of the bed. Other than that, there was very little room to maneuver around. Yet the room was very clean and fresh. The place has clearly been renovated from top to bottom. There is a small chest/wardrobe, and I mean small. It has a safe in it and it's not much wider than the safe. The safe was nice to have but too small for my laptop. There is a small desk which is good but if the chair is used you can't walk past it. The bathroom is clean and small but usable. Essentially it's like being on a cruise ship where there is no a spare square foot around. But since we went sightseeing all day, came back to get changed, went to theater and then late dinner and did not get back until midnight, we basically only used it for the bathroom, changing and sleeping. A good find and good value in an otherwise expensive part of town.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank MNtravel01

Reviewed 14 October 2009

I've read reviews on this hotel before I booked but when I stay in a hotel I only use it for sleeping in. So the size of the rooms does not matter.

The location was great a few yards from Times Square so close enough but far enough to be away from the bustle.

The lift did make a bit of a racket when we 1st arrived but it was soon fixed. The room was very small for example, there was a flat screen TV on the wall and I still had to lean back as I passed between it and the bed. But that's the only complaint I could make if I wanted to.

We stayed 3 nights and found the bagels, muffins, fruit & coffee enough for breakfast but at time did have to stand to have it as it was served in the foyer.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 October 2009

If you were expecting a large room, you are quite mistaken. My girl firend and I went here over a year ago and I still remember the look of the place. The hotel is within a few blocks of time square, but the hotel itself is a bit dated. You receive a continental breakfast in the morning of whatever bagels or muffins they have. They do offer coffee and tea for those who are interested. Not a satisfactory full meal, but good enough to start your day.

The hotel room we got was one with a queen bed. With two girls and two full sized luggages, it was a bit cramped. We had to maneuver our luggage so we had access to it. The bed took up most of the room. The bathroom was on the small side as well. The room itself was old. The room had a weird smell without the air conditioner on and you definitely needed air conditioning in August. The hotel did manage to squeeze in a table into the room.

This room is great for if you are going with just one other person and you aren't planning to spend too much time in the room. It's definitely nothing fancy, but if you just need a place to stay it's a good price for NY.

Stayed: August 2008, travelled with friends
1  Thank silverpurplstar
Reviewed 11 October 2009

I found this hotel after doing tons of research. It was the best deal I could find (at least for a place that I felt comfortable staying in!). For $240.00 per night it was still pretty steep - but compared to the other hotels in the times square area for the dates I was traveling, this was was nice a bargain. When we got to the hotel, we had had TERRIBLE service from SuperShuttle, so I was not in a particularly good mood checking in. The desk clerk (who I am sure hear me yelling at the shuttle driver) was not super welcoming but she also wasn't unpleasant to deal with either. Then they told me I had to pay up-front; which is not the typical operation of a hotel. So my vacation did not get off to a good start. It was hot (our vacation happened to coincide with the 3 hottest days of the summer...over 100 every day!) and I was cranky and irratable after the flight and the horrible experience getting there. Then...we get to the room and holy smallville batman! there wasn't even room to walk around the bed - it was weged from wall to wall. But I had found in my travel research that hotel rooms in NYC were small. So okay - we will tolerate it. and Viola...finally a good vacation ensues! We headed downstairs to engulf ourselves in the wonders of NYC and find the nearest restraunt because we were starving. We stopped in the lobby to ask what they recommended nearby and the bellman was kind and most helpful. We were greeted when we returned by the nice bellman and a different desk clerk - and she was wearing a smile! Morning came and ...out we went into the great wide city. Passing thru the lobby we asked for extra towels for the rest of the week, and a wonderfully nice desk agent assured we would have them. We were also greeted by the kind bellman again, and there was a very nice continental breakfast to be had. Well...we got our extra towels. We got the extra blanket we asked for. There was fresh water bottles left for us every day, fresh soaps in the bathroom, and fresh linens. Every day we were joyfully greeted by the desk clerk and the bellman; and we had a splendid time! The service was good. The room was small but functional. The in-room safe didn't work and we were told the batteries needed to be changed; and I don't know if they changed them when we were out of the room; but we were never able to get it to work. It could have been the safe...it could have been us not being clever enough how to figure it out. All in all this was a good place; good price comparitively; and I would stay again in a New York minute!

• Stayed: June 2008
3  Thank DeeNeesieC
Reviewed 8 October 2009

This is an Econo Lodge, not the Four Seasons, but it does have the backing of a national chain. It is located not even 2 blocks from Times Square, on the north end near Central Park. The rooms are small, but from my experience, most rooms are in Midtown Manhattan. But when you're in NYC, you're not spending much time in the room anyway. I've seen the reviews on similarly priced hotels, and if you even get a private bathroom, you may see rodents. But at the Econo Lodge, the rooms were fairly clean and you get your own decent-sized bathroom. I actually stay at this hotel every time I go to NYC, because working for a non-profit, you can't beat the price for a decent hotel in that location. During my last stay, I came back from a day out working and almost cried with joy when I saw how much care the maid service took with my belongings when cleaning the room. It was immaculate and organized. The accommodations are nothing fancy by any means, but you're not going to find a better location with nicer staff for under $150 a night in Midtown.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled on business
2  Thank westseattlered
Reviewed 8 October 2009

We stayed in this hotel because it was close to Times Square and was about $120 a night. A good price for the area. We were not disappointed. The rooms are small, but they were clean and the location was great!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 September 2009

This place is miserable! It took us two hrs just to get checked in after spending a 6 hr ride to get here. There was some internet issues... We went out for dinner hoping the issues would be resolved by then...they were not! We were not offered anything for our inconvenience, not even a water and just said " there is nothing we can do" even though their motto is " where great customer service doesn't cost extra", but this place has no customer service at all. When we got back the elevator was broken and there was nobody in the lobby for any help at all. So what are you paying for...please spend the extra 200 bucks for a much better place, this place is an insult. The next night we tried to get back into our hotel room and had to go back down to the lobby with the most unfriendly employee ever because nieiher of our keys would let us into our room, it was then that she informed us that you had to get new keys every freaking day! Imagine that. No reason what so ever for another inconvience, not to mention they dont even have vending machines!

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple