Hotel 17
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
The Watson Hotel(New York City)
US$208
US$200
  • Pool
YOTEL New York(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$192
US$188
US$308
US$274
US$347
SmithHotels.com
  • Restaurant
Crowne Plaza Times Square Manhattan(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$301
US$232
Hotels.com
  • Pool
US$444
US$412
  • Room Service
NYLO New York City(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$322
US$267
  • Bar/Lounge
Hotel Edison Times Square(New York City)
US$203
US$171
  • Fitness centre
The Westin New York Grand Central(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$310
US$243
Agoda.com
  • Room Service
Park Central Hotel New York(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$210
US$170
  • Fitness centre
1,357 results
All reviewsshared bathroomunion squareeast villagenew yorkgramercy parkdouble bedstay there againrooms are smallplace to sleepfew blockslower east sidesubway stationthe empire state buildingtimes squaresinkmanhattanfloor
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 24 June 2011

My friend and I stayed overnight while on a quick weekend trip to NYC. While I was dubious of the bathroom sharing, it turned out just fine. There are two bathrooms on the hall for folks to share, and I never had to wait, even in the morning. The bathrooms were immaculately clean. I saw the cleaning person cleaning a room and she was dusting each blade of the blinds! The room was small, being a very old building, but it was a taste of NYC for us and perfect for a quick stay. My only concern was that despite a sign asking people to show their room key card upon entry, on two occasions when we walked into the building (which remains open) there was nobody at the front desk. The hotel is on a quiet street.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank fynexio
Reviewed 23 June 2011

I booked this hotel due to its price and previous reviews here in TripAdvisor.
I stayed there with my mom for 6 days and I have to say that it's a clean hotel, much more than I expected for a shared bathroom (they are cleaned many times during the day).
I could find bathrooms available whenever I needed.
Bed linens were very very clean.
The hotel is 3 blocks from the Union Square and Station, where you can take all yellow and green subway lines.
Free Wi-Fi avalilable! :D

Room Tip: I could only get the twin bed room via their site
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Leticia_Brasil
Reviewed 22 June 2011

I stayed at Hotel 17 with a friend for five nights in April. We were impressed by the cleanliness, convenience, and relative value of the property.

Check in and check out was easy. Front desk staff were efficient but not the sort with whom one would chat about the weather. The single elevator was reasonably fast and efficient. Hallways were narrow but clean. We stayed in a non-smoking room on the fifth floor, but we were surprised to encounter a distinctive pot smell in front of the room closest to the elevator. (The smell was there all six days.)

Our room had one double bed, one twin bed, a sink, nightstand, and small closet. The room was reasonably spacious, but it would have been uncomfortable for our five-night stay had we not spent most of our time outside. There was a large window with an a/c unit, but we didn't use it because the temperature was comfortable during our stay. Our room did not have any bed bugs. Sound insulation between our room and the hallway was minimal, but luckily fellow hotel guests were quiet.

Unlike other old hotels I have stayed at over the years, the shared bathrooms at Hotel 17 were clean and well-kept. Our room was across from two shared baths, and we had no trouble accessing them during our stay. Water pressure was good in one of the tubs and so-so in the other.

Hotel 17 is superbly located on a mostly residential street just a few blocks from Union Square. The 7 train stops nearby at 3rd Avenue, and multiple other subway lines are accessible at Union Square. I was very happy with the central location, especially since we split time between Brooklyn and Manhattan, and was thrilled to avoid the touristy chaos of Times Square.

Overall, I recommend Hotel 17 if you are searching for good, affordable accommodations in a convenient location.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank davdaven
Reviewed 15 June 2011

I was checked in about 10pm by a rather tired and grumpy man behind the desk who I'd obviously inconvenienced. I was so excited about being in New York to let it bother me too much though. This small hotel has loads of character starting with the walk to my room down a narrow, dimly lit hallway with patterned carpet and wallpapered walls. The sort of hotel you'd expect to find Philip Marlowe residing at in the 1940s. My single room was the smallest hotel room I'd ever been in. My room contained a single bed (too soft), a sink, an old tv that sat on a retro dressing table. I remembered I'd requested a smoking room when I spotted an ashtray on the dressing table. There was no fridge but there was an ice machine in the hall so at least I could grab some cubes for my drinks. My suitcase could fit in the room if I wedged it tightly up against the wall. . A shared bathroom across the hall and was always in immaculate condition and not once did I have to wait to take a shower. There's no dining facilities at the hotel but plenty of places close-by to grab a bite. Location of this hotel was great for me, near Union Square station and away from the congested Times Square. I'd stay at Hotel 17again because - 1) the location and 2) I can't afford anywhere else!

Room Tip: Quiet location. Clean hotel.
  • Stayed: July 2010, travelled solo
3  Thank Helen_of_Oz
Reviewed 10 June 2011

I would have liked to rate this hotel 3 1/2 stars, but I rounded up to 4 because of its location, cleanliness, price, and the friendly, helpful staff at the front desk. I can see why it gets such good reviews on TA.

I visited NY for 3 days during a very busy period, and I was looking for a room with a private bath with decent reviews for under $200. I couldn't find one, not even with Hotwire or Priceline. So I reluctantly chose Hotel 17 with a shared bath. I booked a single room through Expedia, whose description said the room would have a sink. I've stayed in B&B's and European hotels with shared baths before, and I can tolerate it if I have my own sink.

I checked into the room, and found it larger than I expected, very clean, with a comfortable bed. It appeared to be recently renovated. It was only after I was undressed and unpacked that I noticed there was no sink in the room. There were 4 shared baths for the 16 rooms on my floor, but only 2 of the baths had sinks. At that point I was too tired to complain, so I went to bed.

The next morning I requested to be moved to a room with a sink. I packed my bags and left for the day, and when I returned, I had been moved. I was very happy for the remainder of my stay. I never saw more than 2 of the 4 baths in use at once, and I always found the baths clean. They must be serviced several times per day.

The hotel is on a quiet residential street, but very close to shopping, restaurants, and subway.

My one complaint is the air conditioning. In both rooms I stayed in, there was a window-mounted AC right next to the head of the bed. It was very effective, but the noise might be an issue for you being so close to your head. I got used to the noise.

If you are willing to put up with the shared bath, and want a budget priced room, I would highly recommend Hotel 17. Just make sure you confirm your room has a sink!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a sink!
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo