“Cheap comes at a price” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel 17

Hotel 17
Ranked #262 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Dallas, Texas
“Cheap comes at a price”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2011

It's hard to find reasonable accommodation at a decent price in manhattan. This hotel is one of the best value for the location but don't come expecting much. Rooms are ok sized for NYC, get one with a sink ( bathrooms are shared), and try to remember that your room will only be cleaned if you put the tag on the outside of your door. Beds are ok but not too comfortable, front desk is overworked and understaffed, but all in all you will be hard pressed to find anywhere much better at this price.

• Stayed March 2011
      Location
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank fatcontroller1999

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Nanaimo, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2011

We have almost nothing but good things to say about this wonderful little European style hotel, except for the air-conditioning being noisy-- so we switched it to fan only and it kept the room quiet enough and cool enough for sleeping.
Our room was clean as a whistle and a comfortable size--on the street side--ask for an 01 or 02. With a sink--ask for a sink. The bathrooms were very clean all the time and nearly always available. The room was cleaned daily--hang out the sign--and the staff were most helpful.
Close to everything, walk to Union Square, grocery stores, great neighbourhood restaurants, shopping, and the bus and subway just a block away. You can't do better than this in New York.

Room Tip: Reserve a front room with a sink.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank nancyblackett9
Falmouth, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2011

My friend and I stayed overnight while on a quick weekend trip to NYC. While I was dubious of the bathroom sharing, it turned out just fine. There are two bathrooms on the hall for folks to share, and I never had to wait, even in the morning. The bathrooms were immaculately clean. I saw the cleaning person cleaning a room and she was dusting each blade of the blinds! The room was small, being a very old building, but it was a taste of NYC for us and perfect for a quick stay. My only concern was that despite a sign asking people to show their room key card upon entry, on two occasions when we walked into the building (which remains open) there was nobody at the front desk. The hotel is on a quiet street.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank fynexio
Campinas, SP
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2011

I booked this hotel due to its price and previous reviews here in TripAdvisor.
I stayed there with my mom for 6 days and I have to say that it's a clean hotel, much more than I expected for a shared bathroom (they are cleaned many times during the day).
I could find bathrooms available whenever I needed.
Bed linens were very very clean.
The hotel is 3 blocks from the Union Square and Station, where you can take all yellow and green subway lines.
Free Wi-Fi avalilable! :D

Room Tip: I could only get the twin bed room via their site
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Leticia_Brasil
Berkeley, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2011

I stayed at Hotel 17 with a friend for five nights in April. We were impressed by the cleanliness, convenience, and relative value of the property.

Check in and check out was easy. Front desk staff were efficient but not the sort with whom one would chat about the weather. The single elevator was reasonably fast and efficient. Hallways were narrow but clean. We stayed in a non-smoking room on the fifth floor, but we were surprised to encounter a distinctive pot smell in front of the room closest to the elevator. (The smell was there all six days.)

Our room had one double bed, one twin bed, a sink, nightstand, and small closet. The room was reasonably spacious, but it would have been uncomfortable for our five-night stay had we not spent most of our time outside. There was a large window with an a/c unit, but we didn't use it because the temperature was comfortable during our stay. Our room did not have any bed bugs. Sound insulation between our room and the hallway was minimal, but luckily fellow hotel guests were quiet.

Unlike other old hotels I have stayed at over the years, the shared bathrooms at Hotel 17 were clean and well-kept. Our room was across from two shared baths, and we had no trouble accessing them during our stay. Water pressure was good in one of the tubs and so-so in the other.

Hotel 17 is superbly located on a mostly residential street just a few blocks from Union Square. The 7 train stops nearby at 3rd Avenue, and multiple other subway lines are accessible at Union Square. I was very happy with the central location, especially since we split time between Brooklyn and Manhattan, and was thrilled to avoid the touristy chaos of Times Square.

Overall, I recommend Hotel 17 if you are searching for good, affordable accommodations in a convenient location.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank davdaven
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2011

I was checked in about 10pm by a rather tired and grumpy man behind the desk who I'd obviously inconvenienced. I was so excited about being in New York to let it bother me too much though. This small hotel has loads of character starting with the walk to my room down a narrow, dimly lit hallway with patterned carpet and wallpapered walls. The sort of hotel you'd expect to find Philip Marlowe residing at in the 1940s. My single room was the smallest hotel room I'd ever been in. My room contained a single bed (too soft), a sink, an old tv that sat on a retro dressing table. I remembered I'd requested a smoking room when I spotted an ashtray on the dressing table. There was no fridge but there was an ice machine in the hall so at least I could grab some cubes for my drinks. My suitcase could fit in the room if I wedged it tightly up against the wall. . A shared bathroom across the hall and was always in immaculate condition and not once did I have to wait to take a shower. There's no dining facilities at the hotel but plenty of places close-by to grab a bite. Location of this hotel was great for me, near Union Square station and away from the congested Times Square. I'd stay at Hotel 17again because - 1) the location and 2) I can't afford anywhere else!

Room Tip: Quiet location. Clean hotel.
  • Stayed July 2010, travelled solo
3 Thank Helen_of_Oz
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2011

I would have liked to rate this hotel 3 1/2 stars, but I rounded up to 4 because of its location, cleanliness, price, and the friendly, helpful staff at the front desk. I can see why it gets such good reviews on TA.

I visited NY for 3 days during a very busy period, and I was looking for a room with a private bath with decent reviews for under $200. I couldn't find one, not even with Hotwire or Priceline. So I reluctantly chose Hotel 17 with a shared bath. I booked a single room through Expedia, whose description said the room would have a sink. I've stayed in B&B's and European hotels with shared baths before, and I can tolerate it if I have my own sink.

I checked into the room, and found it larger than I expected, very clean, with a comfortable bed. It appeared to be recently renovated. It was only after I was undressed and unpacked that I noticed there was no sink in the room. There were 4 shared baths for the 16 rooms on my floor, but only 2 of the baths had sinks. At that point I was too tired to complain, so I went to bed.

The next morning I requested to be moved to a room with a sink. I packed my bags and left for the day, and when I returned, I had been moved. I was very happy for the remainder of my stay. I never saw more than 2 of the 4 baths in use at once, and I always found the baths clean. They must be serviced several times per day.

The hotel is on a quiet residential street, but very close to shopping, restaurants, and subway.

My one complaint is the air conditioning. In both rooms I stayed in, there was a window-mounted AC right next to the head of the bed. It was very effective, but the noise might be an issue for you being so close to your head. I got used to the noise.

If you are willing to put up with the shared bath, and want a budget priced room, I would highly recommend Hotel 17. Just make sure you confirm your room has a sink!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a sink!
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled solo