“Excellent value for money, clean and good location!”
Review of Hotel 17

Hotel 17
Ranked #294 of 473 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 2 August 2011

We were really impressed with the hotel and if you want somewhere a bit cheaper than most places in New York but that does not compormise on cleanliness and comfort this is the place for you.

The hotel was clean and comfortable and the staff on the front desk very helpful and it's staffed 24 hours a day. They had a good system to let people leave bags on the day of check out if you were staying after the check out deadline, they were also happy to arrange a shuttle/car to the airport if needed.

Even though the bathrooms our shared we never had to wait for them, there were 2 on our floor (that I know of) and they were remarkably clean. The room had everything you needed with a safe, sink, comfy bed and air conditioning (which was a little noisy but there's not much you can do about that!)!

the location was brilliant, a five minute walk from Union Square and therefore Park Avenue and Broadway. Lots of shops, restaurants and other amenities close by particualrly on 3rd avenue. I never felt unsafe in the area even when walking back at 2am. Union Sqaure subway connects you to other parts of the city quickly and easily, although we chose to walk most places and none of the go-to tourist sites were so far that you couldn't walk (if you're happy to walk a few miles).

3  Thank betty_travelsUK
Write a ReviewReviews (1,357)

Reviewed 30 July 2011

This hotel is a great deal if you're looking for reasonably priced accommodations in the heart of NYC. I loved the classic, old NY, architectural details in the lobby and rooms -- dark wood paneling, original cage style elevator, radiators in the rooms. I personally didn't mind having a shared bathroom down the hall; I never had to wait for it and it was always clean. There are several restaurants, coffee shops and stores in the area, and it's not too far (a long walk or a short cab ride) from the Empire State building, Rockefeller Center and other tourist attractions. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank indigo07
Reviewed 30 July 2011

My travel companion has stayed at this hotel several times and I can see why. It's a cool hotel, very interesting. Incredibly reasonably priced. It's in a great location - nice neighborhood with plenty of shops and restaurants nearby. Subway is just a couple of blocks away.
The room was spacious and very clean. DO NOT let the shared bathroom concept scare you!! The bathrooms were always clean and available - I never had to wait for one. You just have to remember to carry your shampoo, etc, with you, but they do supply those in your room. The staff was very nice, especially James at the front desk!! It was a great visit to one of the best cities in the world! I recommend this hotel to everyone and will definitely stay there again.

4  Thank Dolce626
Reviewed 29 July 2011

I've stayed at Hotel 17 four times in the last few years, and I plan to most likely continue staying there because of its price, location, and generally friendly staff. Plus, I don't mind sharing a bathroom and when I head to NYC the room's really just for sleeping and getting ready for the next day.

However, I just got back from a two night stay there and do have a few notable gripes:

1. Avoid a room on the third floor at all costs.
The entire floor reeks of urine. The smell permeates the carpet and walls so much that when we woke up yesterday morning I felt as if I had slept in a dirty litterbox. I actually almost threw up. Now, you're probably wondering how I possibly fell asleep in the first place? Well, my boyfriend and I figured out that the cleaners must use some heavy duty deoderizer that masked the scent in our room for a while. The hallways smelled from the moment we arrived. Thankfully the morning person very kindly changed our room for the second night to the 7th floor and it was just fine with no smell just like all the other times I've stayed. The desk guy admitted that there has been a problem with a long term guest creating the 3rd floor urine smell...(I'm assuming he pees everywhere??)

2. Avoid the overnight desk guy.
When my incredibly polite boyfriend asked if it was possible to have our room changed, the overnight desk man responsed with "F*** You, your majesty!" Really. My bf thought it was a joke, so he laughed, and the guy reasonded, "No really, F*** You!". My boyfriend then stupidly asked if this guy could recommend somewhere nearby for drinks and the guy (who is about our age, in his 30's) said, "Why the f*** would I know? F*** you!" and started slamming things. My boyfriend looked around to see if he was being filmed for punked or something. Absolutely insane.

All the other desk people were helpful and did not swear. This dude is clearly in the wrong line of work.

As I said, though, despite these 2 horrific experiences over the last 2 days, we may just go back to hotel 17 next time as long as we don't hit the lottery (or stay on floor 3, or ask for any help at night)!

Room Tip: avoid third floor. Ask for a corner room.
5  Thank LC12
Reviewed 28 July 2011

I've visited NYC from the UK four times and I've only ever stayed at Hotel 17 or the sister hotel 31. It's such good value for money, and I love the Gramercy park location of Hotel 17. Anyone who has wasted money on overpriced hotels down in the noisy touristy Times Sq area will wish they'd known about Hotel 17. It's ideal for those who don't require extra frills from a hotel, they just want clean and good value for money, with a nice room and a comfortable bed. Sharing bathrooms is never a problem- they're always unfailingly clean, you'd never know you were sharing them.
Nearby is Union Square with great shopping, farmers markets, and the subway which is ten minutes to Central Park area.
I also recommend Gramercy Park Cafe just nearby where you'll get the best eggs, and Bar Jamon for spanish tapas. It's restaurant next door is also excellent but more pricey as its Michelin starred!
Hotel 17 is perfect for those who would prefer a quieter more surburban neighbourhood, which is nonetheless only minutes from the main tourist attractions.

• Stayed: July 2011
1  Thank Power_E
Reviewed 28 July 2011

Great value for money, affordable with a perfect location for people wanting to experience a bit more real NYC culture rather than the tourist bustle of Times Square. The hotel itself feels old & its decor outdated but that's what's charming about it! It feels deliberate. I have stayed in 5 star hotels in NYC before but genuinely wouldn't swap this hotel for them. I feel at home here. I feel like I'm living amongst proper New Yorkers. The surrounding streets look residential yet it's just a quick walk from Union Square and perfect for exploring Lower Manhattan on the East (or, if you like walking) the West side. This gives you access to great bars, restaurants, shops and culture in Gramercy, East Village, Little Italy, Chinatown, soHo, Chelsea, Tribeca, Financial District and even Brooklyn. I would recommend it for people who have been to NYC before and stayed around Times Square or Midtown and now want something a bit more real. Good luck and hope you enjoy it as much as we did!

• Stayed: July 2011
1  Thank CHAND13R
Reviewed 25 July 2011

The room is of decent size and clean, and has all the basic amenities, including an alarm clock, a blow dryer, and a safe. The hotel also provides wake up call service. The shared bathrooms are clean and there was no wait time to use the facilities during my stay. The hotel is located in a reasonably quiet and nice neighborhood. For the money, it is very good value in NYC.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo