“great value, love the vibes”
Review of Hotel 17

Hotel 17
Ranked #277 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 28 September 2011

My husband and I love to visit NYC but the prices are just too steep. This wonderful small hotel was just the ticket for us -- charming, clean, well located, and so affordable. The shared bathroom was sparkling clean and we never had to wait. Our room was small but comfortable with 2 windows overlooking the street (2nd floor - quiet too!); A/C worked fine; friendly staff. Delightful breakfast places nearby & plenty of restaurants for all budgets. We will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,356)

Reviewed 22 September 2011

great location. rooms are indeed small, but why would you stay in your room when you have the whole city to explore? shared baths are kept immaculately clean. great hotel for the price.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank MargieNY
Reviewed 20 September 2011

I've stayed here twice and would stay again. This place is nothing fancy. It is just a basic, clean, cheap hotel. The decor is so tacky that some may consider it hip. At any rate, two friends and I got a room there for only $120 a night. The bed was comfortable, and everything was clean. That's all you need in NYC. Who stays in their room anyway?

The best thing about the hotel is its location in Gramercy Park. From there, its an easy walk to Union Square, the East Village, and all the bars and restaurants on Saint Marks and Second Ave.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank DCSojourner
Reviewed 17 September 2011

My wife, son and I spent 4 nights at Hotel 17 in mid-July. Not wanting to spend a fortune, we compared Hotel 17 with other "budget" hotels in Manhattan after reading numerous reviews. We were not disappointed. Though the rooms are small (in general, they are in NY budget hotels), we got the 3-person room and were pleasantly surprised by the space we had. No food, coffee, etc. on site but there are numerous possibilities close by. AC worked well, and the place was clean enough for my wife (very clean). Shared bathroom was not a problem. We checked thoroughly for bedbugs and found no signs. Pleasant and helpful concierge downstairs. The small elevator makes for cozy conversations. All in all, if you're going to NYC to see stuff, not to hang out in a hotel, this is a fine choice.

Room Tip: Get a room on a higher floor if possible to tamp down the street noise.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank steveinuae
Reviewed 12 September 2011

My boyfriend and I came into the city for a wedding and needed a cheap place to get ready and then sleep. We had never done a "shared bath" situation but it was fine - the rooms have a sink in them so at least you can brush your teeth there.

Clean hotel and rooms as long as you're just looking to sleep over.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 September 2011

stayed here 22nd- 27th august nice rooms shared bathroom always clean as were the rooms friendly staff good location 10 minute walk to union square metro would recommend this hotel to anyone

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank belfast_guy67
Reviewed 11 September 2011

I always book the cheapest flight I can find and cheapest hotel in the best location I can find. Last year after a trip with China Air I decided that if I can afford it I am paying for a better airline when I travel next. Hotel 17 is convinced me that I should do that for my hotels as well. Look! there is nothing fundamentally wrong with this place. It is one of the cheapest priced for its cathegory, it is definatly clean, and in a good location.

But, it is not in excellent location. the real place to stay south west of Unnion square ( closer to Washington square park as possible) or slightly north in the meatpacking district. So the location is good but not excellent as it is claimed.

Rooms are so small that I can not fully open my luggage. I am sure not all of the rooms are like this but in my room there is no place to even stand. I had to wear my socks in the hall way sitting on the floor once since my travel partner occuppied the only avaliable standing room while he was dressing up.

I am a very heavy sleeper, I have never thought that I will be complaining about noise in any place ( I slept 15 hours on the way to NY from sydney in the plane- NOthing wakes me up) but apparently hotel staff vacuuming the hallways 6:15 am on a Sunday would wake me up. I thought it was a bit much.

Rooms are awfully hot and there is AC but it is so noisy that you can not leave it on and sleep. Not just yours every other room also have a noisy AC that every time your neighbours turn theirs on you wake up as well. I managed to get max 4 hours of sleep each night.

So if you have to stay here stay. But if you can afford 50 more dollars a night i am sure you can find something a bit better where you can enjoy the place you are staying a bit more.

• Stayed: September 2011