“Great hotel, great location, great price”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel 17

Hotel 17
Ranked #268 of 467 Hotels in New York City
London
“Great hotel, great location, great price”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2011

I've stayed at Hotel 17 a couple of times and both times been very happy with the rooms and service. The double room we had on our last trip, on the 6th floor, was a good size, clean with a good TV, coffee making facilities and an electronic safe. We went for the shared bathroom which was fine, never had to wait and always found them clean. The room also had a sink and they offered a cot for our one-year old (though we didn't use it as had our own travel cot).

The hotel is in a quiet and safe neighbourhood and is ideally placed just a few minutes walk from busy Union Square with all its transport links. Only around 15-20 mins walk from the Empire State Building so very central! You'll be hard pushed to get better value for money accomodation in NYC :)

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Seabass101

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2011

Having stayed here twice I'd recommend it. It central and great for sight seeing. Friendly staff, shared bathrooms not a problem, I didn't have to wait and they were always clean. I'd definitely stay here again. If you want a romantic get away I'd look elsewhere!

• Stayed October 2011
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2011

The hotel was as advertised. The shared bathrooms were generally clean (depending on the previous user). There are four bathrooms on my floor, but only two of them had sinks. In response to another reviewer, I didn't have a lot of towels. In fact, I had a face cloth, hand towel, and a body towel that is large only by European standards. It wasn't large by American standards. On my first night, I inquired about how to control the heat in my room because it was too hot. In fact, the heat cannot be controlled on a per room basis. Instead, the heat is centrally controlled and is on a fixed schedule. The radiator in my room turned off at 11:30pm and turned on at about 6:30am. In between, I used the air conditioner to cool the room. On the brighter side, the heat allowed me to do laundry and everything dried easily. The staff was nice and polite. Noise from the bathrooms are noticeable. Wi-fi wasn't very reliable. I relied on my cell phone service instead.

Room Tip: The back of the building is best. Stay away from being directly in front of the bathrooms.
baltimore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2011

So if you are looking for the Ritz, this is not for you. If you are looking for clean, unique, safe and cheap accommodation- this is it. The building is old but well maintained and charming, there is great woodwork everywhere. There rooms are basic- clean, small, and functional. You share baths, but i never had to wait for the bathroom.

Staff is very nice. Front desk is polite, unpretentious, friendly, and efficient. I asked a maintenance man if I could look at the view from the room he was working on, and he did me one better and took me to the roof and cheerfully pointed out all sorts of NY landmarks.

Also a note on bedbugs- I notice there are some older reviews on this site complaining of bedbugs- a problem that was epidemic in NYC hotels. Based on my expierence, Hotel 17 has conquered this problem- i saw not trace.

I really enjoyed my stay and will come back

2 Thank cadiza
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2011

Me and my mom stayed at this property on October 5 for 3 nights. We expected very little considering the amazing price for a New York hotel. We walked in and i almost couldn't breathe i was so excited. It looked like something out an old school movie with the decor and tiny pull-shut elevator.
The front desk guy was very accomodating, giving us a 2 bed room when we had only booked for one.
The halls are twisty and very narrow, but you wont have trouble getting huge bags through. the whole hotel is done in this interesting dark brown varnish look that really makes you feel like you're in the middle of a different time.
The rooms were small but not clastrophobic at all.
it is the perfect jumping off place for New York as it is walking distance to everything but on a quiet street so there's no outside noise to bother you.
The only bad thing was having to share a bathroom. There was frequently someone in there and morning shower people will probably want to switch to night. There was a sink and plenty of towels in our room though so it worked out fine.
The Gramercy Cafe half a black up is awesome for any meal as the hotel doesn't have a restaurant. the Cafe serves the biggest salads I've ever seen.
I am a travel agent and I will be recommnding this hotel to all my clients travlling to New York and trying to stay within budget.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank mantaray24
Nashville, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2011

We were very happy with this hotel. It is a good value. It's located in a good neighborhood. The room was clean and spacious. The shared bathroom situation worked out just fine. The hotel is on a quiet street, which in NYC is a GOOD thing. The only complaint we had about the hotel is the Wi-Fi didn't work very well. The location halfway between Times Square and Greenwich was convienent. Two subway stations are close. 24th Street, close by, has plenty of places to eat.

Room Tip: Manhatten is an extremely easy city to get around in. You can easily walk, take the subway, ride a...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
South Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2011

This is a hotel that was originally designed for working class people who lived there permanently. You have to share a bathroom. Plus the decor is extremely dark and gloomy.
Otherwise it is a perfectly OK place to stay if you can stand a small room. Everything was very clean and the housekeeping was excellent. Seldom a wait for the elevator and no waits for the several, very tidy bathrooms. It's on a quiet, tree lined street near Union Square. I lived in NYC for twenty years and never head any mention of this hotel. It is probably the best bargain in Manhattan. I paid a low rate, lower than other hotels in Queens and New Jersey.
This is an especially good choice for young people who can ignore the depressing decor. Never found any place cheaper in NYC and certainly not with this level of cleanliness.

Room Tip: If you need to economize, this is THE place in New York. I was amazed.
1 Thank Traveler561732