“Great location, good value!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel 17

Hotel 17
Ranked #268 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Stuttgart, Germany
“Great location, good value!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2013

We stayed in this hotel for 7 nights in May, initially we were a little apprehensive after reading some reviews on here, but really it was a good hotel to stay in!
Our room was totally clean and comfortable as was the bathroom down the hall. Sharing a bathroom wasn't a problem at all, and it was cleaned at all times. This hotel is perfect for a city break - where one doesn't spend that much time in the room anyway. We had a great view of the city from our room and it came with cable TV, free internet and coffee making facilities.
The best thing is really the area- it is on a lovely quiet tree-lined street close to Union Square. It is very quiet and not at all like the midtown area of NYC where many tourists stay.

2 Thank qt22x

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2013

Walking distance to Union Square and the subway, Hotel 17 was very convenient. Shared bathroom facilities were very clean and hotel staff were friendly and helpful.

Good place to stay if you're on a medium budget in NYC.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank JulesMelb
Miami, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2013

To start this place should not be called a Hotel it has extremely small rooms and every room in your section has to share the same bathroom. I talked to the parking garage attendant around the block and he told me a lot of Hotel 17 unsuspecting customers leave the place once they see it and stay at a regular hotel down the street. Don't get caught in this trap!!!!!!

Room Tip: Book in another hotel!!
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank Jose G
Auckland Region, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2013

I spent 6 nights at Hotel 17 and was very happy with the standard of accommodation for the price I paid. There are very few places you can stay in the heart of Manhattan for less than $150 a night including tax. Admittedly, you sacrifice a few luxuries like having your own bathroom and toilet and the rooms are small but as a solo traveller who just needed a place to sleep and a shower, this didn't concern me.

I stayed on the third floor in a single room (with a single bed) and my room was clean as were the shared bathrooms on the floor. There were 2 bathrooms in our wing on level 3 and this was sufficient as I didn't have to wait at any stage.

There is only 1 lift servicing the hotel so I found it easier to use the stairs. Unfortunately there are no vending or ice machines in the hotel.

The hotel is very handy to the Union Square - 14th St subway station (7 minute walk) and there are a number restaurants nearby also.

As long as you don't mind shared bathrooms, then I would recommend this hotel as a great place to stay.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
Cambridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2013

This hotel is value for money. Its in a great location, near uniojn square which makes it very easy to get around manhatten and beyond.

I have stayed twice and noth rooms have been of a decent size, clean and comfortable. The bathrooms are clean although perhaps each floor could do with another bathroom as we did have to wait a couple of times, althoughnot for long.

The decor is very dated, abnd the elivator does feel a little horror film ish however for the price your paying you can definalty deal with the patterned carpet and dark painted wooden pannels.

the staff were alwasy pleasent although the recpetion does not lend itself to interaction particularly.

This hotel is about the cheapest you can find in the manhatten area, if you just want a cheap clean place to rest your head whilst exploring New York then I would definatly recoomend this place!

Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2013

$37 taxi from Laguardia, 25 mins in traffic.

Arrived to see a Lovely looking building.

Staff pleasant and prompt. We didn't have much else to with them until we were leaving as we like to just go all out and search the city off our own back. But when we passed them each day, they were lovely.

Large room (although I believe there are small ones).
Room had tv, coffee making machine, large comfy bed, sink, and clothes hanging space ( I like a fresh coffee to wake up to before I set off out, so buy or take some filters, milk and coffee as they didn't have any. They had 3 coffee bags but they're not strong enough for me - this is just a personal touch for me, no reflection on the Hotel.

Shared bathroom no problem. 2 showers and toilets near all rooms, spotless all the time considering the use. Compliments to the cleaner who must just walk the corridors constantly cleaning up after the guests in the bathrooms.

Excellent location, East 17th between 2nd and 3rd avenues. Handy food place for breakfast on 3rd avenue. Take a right out of hotel up to the lights and its across the road on opposite corner. Great to start the day with breakfast there.

We recommend getting a metro subway/bus ticket. 7 days unlimited, $30. Great value if you do what we do and cover the whole of manhattan in 1 week! Even if you don't do that, i personally think it beats getting taxis everywhere. We purchased that ticket from Union Square, a major area for transport. The machines are as you enter the subways down the stairs.

I won't bore you with how amazing the City is. But it's amazing with so many great areas. Just when you you think you've found he best part of all of it, you find another. All I say is spread your wings and don't necessarily concentrate on the predictable tourist bits (although they are worth a visit).There are sooooo many cool areas, great restaurants, top bars, shops, parks, museums and buildings to admire.

The reception kindly arranged our shuttle bus to the airport, after asking what the best way to Newark was. To Newark it cost $21 each. Give them a days notice to book it. Much cheaper than a car or taxi ($80 approx). The driver was lovely. The bus has around 10 seats, but its cosy, clean and airy. You pick up from other Manhattan hotels on the way to the airport. No issues though. Just make sure you don't throw the receipt/ticket the reception gave to you. You have to give this to the driver, and is actually worth money to him, so if you lose it, you have to pay again.

In short, the Hotel 17 was excellent. Staff helpful. Area perfect. NYC amazing. Enjoy it. I would definitely recommend the Hotel. Just right for staying in a busy City.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the larger ones when booking.
2 Thank r c
Johannesburg
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2013

On a recent trip to New York's Manhattan I had the good fortune of staying in a "Surprise" property.

The surprise came in the form of the Hotel 17 at 225E 17th Street New York.

Traveling alone I quite enjoyed the compact and clean single room I was given.

A single bathroom and two toilets service the floor I was on.

After having a shower one morning I forgot my toothbrush in the bathroom.

On my return not only did I find my toothbrush but within the 15 minutes I was away someone had cleaned the facility and It was like I had never been there.

Also, the hotel is within walking distance of the subway system and the bus service.

This is the hotel I will stay in on my next visit to the Big Apple.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo