“Great place to stay - I'll be back”
Review of Hotel 17

Hotel 17
Ranked #266 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 23 June 2013

This is the first time I've stayed here having previously stayed at their sister hotel, Hotel 31. The hotels have very similar look and feel. There's free wifi that's reasonably fast, very clean rooms and equally clean shared bathrooms that are never further away than a couple doors down the corridor. It's a reasonably central location and a good bus service that takes you up to the UN on 1st Avenue in about 20 mins. It's got a very old fashioned feel but I think that just adds to the character. My personal highlight is an elevator/lift that seems to 'sing' to you as its approaching with the radio playing Lady Gaga or Michael Jackson, which always makes me chuckle.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Victoria F

Reviewed 20 June 2013

With the white stone façade, deep registration desk, vintage elevator, and dark wood paneling, the hotel has a cozy old-fashioned vibe. The rooms aren't large but they are nicely appointed. There’s no surcharge for Wi-Fi and the signal’s decent. The mattress passed our bedbug inspection, which we’re careful to perform everywhere but especially in NYC. There’s a sink in the room and bathroom down the hall. The bathroom on our floor seemed clean (nothing smelled) and its only sign of use was hair in the drain (guest discourtesy). The location—17th Street between 2nd and 3rd Avenues—is terrific: lots of restaurants, very close to the L line (at 3rd and 14th), and safe. We had just arrived from Paris, so it was a real plus that we could reach the hotel from JFK by a simple combination of E and L trains. 17th Street is quiet for NYC, so once you drift off you should be able to stay asleep. If there are two of you and you mostly want to sleep, ask for twin beds as the queen (if it’s like ours) may have a center dip.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank guillaume51
Reviewed 20 June 2013

I was extremely pleased with this hotel. The location is fantastic. Close to Union Square, shopping, & restaurants. Three different lines run through the Union Square Subway station, connecting you to all parts of the city, and a lot of major sites are just a few stops away. I found the hotel itself rather charming. My single room was small (but not the smallest I've stayed in!) and well appointed with a sink, towels, shampoo/soap, TV. I had no issues with the free WiFi during my stay. If the noise of air conditioners bothers you, bring ear plugs. I never travel without them - i always anticipate a little bit of noise. Cleanliness is usually a key factor for me when booking a hostel or hotel and Hotel 17 more than met my expectations. Yes the bathrooms are shared, but they are regularly attended to. I only had to wait once for a shower, and it wasn't for more than 5 minutes. If you're used to 5 star amenities, this hotel probably isn't for you. But if you want a clean, quiet, safe hotel, then this one is worth considering. For backpackers used to hostels, who might want to take things up a notch, this will feel like luxury. For a solo traveler, the price is hard to beat in a place like NYC (not sure if it's the same for couples or small groups), where your choices are limited outside of single rooms in hostels, which quite frankly, aren't much cheaper. I will definitely stay there again on my next trip.

2  Thank Jetsuka
Reviewed 20 June 2013

Exasperated, hostile, and angry welcome at the front desk by infamous John, poster guy for the "I-hate-my-job" type. Could not find my reservation, and seem to doubt one was ever made, in spite of my showing the confirmation page on my phone.

Then, with the vintage decor, it's like stepping into an old film-noir. But the whole thing gets old very, very fast. Corridors on 3rd floor reeked of cigarette smoke at one end, and cat urine at the other. Ventilation's only purpose was to produce the noise of a small plane at take-off. Room and shared bathroom were clean. No bugs. Window, which could not be opened for fresh air, offered glorious view on a brick wall four feet away.

Best avoided.

4  Thank ThoughtfulGuest
Reviewed 18 June 2013

I was pleasantly surprised by this Hotel. On arriving, it was a tall building and looked clean. I was checked in very quickly. I missed the elevator because it doesn't ring or open when it's on your floor, as it is a very old one. This happened a few more times during my stay. My room was cosy and plesant, with a TV that I never turned on. It had AC and provided loads of soaps and gels, as well as cups. There were hangers and drawers to put all your stuff for those who like to unpack. I have never booked into hotel which had a shared shower before, but it was ok as the floor had 2 bathrooms, although one of them did not have a sink and the water did not heat up. There were about 10 rooms on that floor. Breakfast is not provided and it's not a problem as there are so many cafés and fast food outlets around. It is located 5min away from Union Square Park (and station), which made travelling on the subway easier. At 130$ a night, it isn't really cheap but it's the cheapest I found in Manhattan.

2  Thank FazzersN
Reviewed 14 June 2013

Excellent location, you can have good restaurant around and Subway to go anywhere and nice place to, the service was the good and basic, hotel doesn't have regular facilities like other big hotel but is on perfect location for exploring!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 June 2013

Clean, quiet (!), friendly & helpful staff, absolutely perfect location and a very reasonable rate. Don't be put off by the shared bathroom, never had to wait and always really clean. Five minute stroll to bustling Union Square, East Village... Awesome neighborhood. Great diner for breakfast just across the street. The only place I want to stay at in NYC without going broke!!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo