“Great for the price, with some quirks”
Review of Hotel 17

Hotel 17
Ranked #261 of 467 Hotels in New York City
“Great for the price, with some quirks”
Reviewed 16 October 2013

We stayed here for a weekend back in March, but I forgot to leave my review. If you want to stay in a very nice part of NYC with a price that doesn't break the bank, here is your place.

I leave 4 stars only (and not 5) because the bed was a bit too rigid for my taste, and the radiator was pumping out so much heat that we had to run the A/C in March. The bathroom/shower was shared, but I never came across another person occupying it. It was nice that there at least was a sink in the bedroom to wash up a bit.

The decor in this place was really beautiful, as well.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 16 October 2013

My sister and I stayed here over the weekend from Oct. 11-13th. I wasn't to weary when I booked because of all the good reviews and I wasn't at all surprised when I got there. This place is fantastic for simple travelers such as myself. All I need is decently nice people and Cleanliness, Hotel 17 had both. We got to New York around 11 and couldn't check in until 3 so they held our bags while we went to do what we had planned for the day. The room was a double and pretty small but I didn't mind at all.The sink in the room was a big help. We were in 510 and could see a sliver of the Empire State Building. Now to the shared bathroom I'm not familiar with this and was the tiniest bit nervous about it but I never had a problem. The bathroom was extremely clean and I never had to wait to take a shower or use it. The staff was great too, front desk helpful and housekeepers were super friendly. Don't expect anything fancy its just a really clean, comfortable no frills place. We had a wicked good weekend and I can see this place becoming my go to hotel for NYC trips.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
new york
Reviewed 14 October 2013

Booked this for work travel. Room 521 was small but very clean, the bathrooms are about as clean as at your local gym. Service was good. I called down because I was cold and because the building's radiator heat doesn't cut on until it's a certain temperature outside, they quickly brought up extra blankets and a space heater. Very, very good location. The bed is extremely firm.

Room Tip: If the bathrooms on your wing or floor are full, just go to another floor.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Lincoln, England
Reviewed 6 October 2013

We stayed for 5 nights in September for just over £100 per night (taxes inc).

We had a very small room with a shared bathroom across the landing.

We weren't really bothered about the size of the room as we spent most of our time out and about in New York and it was really just a place to sleep.

The hotel is a good location if you want to walk midtown and downtown as it is about equidistant between them.

You can easily walk up to Central Park or down to Battery Park from here.

If you're young / single / couple that doesnt mind where you lay your head at the end of the day, and you just want somewhere central and cheap, this is great.

If you are a family or want some space and privacy, this is probably not for you.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 2 October 2013

We loved the atmosphere! Ok, the bathrooms are just opposite your room, but it's a short way, and they were always kept very clean. The location is great, not far from the Village, nor the Alphabets, subway station close enough, many restaurants and breakfast cafés very close. We would stay there any time again.
Super Lage, gute Zimmer, etwas altmodische Atmosphäre, aber sauber und freundlich. Badezimmer gleich gegenüber Zimmer, aber immer sehr sauber. Wir werden wieder dort übernachten

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
Portland, OR
Reviewed 27 September 2013

We were looking for something less less expensive with a location in lower Manhattan and Hotel 17 definitely met our criteria. Obvious issue for a lot of American travelers is that the bathrooms are down the hall rather than "en suite" but if you can handle that, this is definitely worth the money.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 September 2013

Worked well for a friend and I seeking a twin room for a reasonable price in a good location in New York but not somewhere to impress your better half with.

Had no issues with the shared bathrooms which were clean and empty every time I came to use them.

Rooms not cleaned if not requested but this was made clear on checking in and suited us fine.

If you're working to a budget then this place is fine if not then your own bathroom has to be better doesn't it.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends