“Great location, friendly staff, nifty little restaurant.”

Washington Square Hotel
Ranked #140 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 1 August 2012

A friend and I decided to treat ourselves as a kind of thirtieth birthday present and New York seemed like a wonderful kind of treat. We haphazardly googled hotels in New York and found this wonderful little gem. The rooms may be small and quite basic but they are clean, quiet and a little funky. The location is superb and so central that we were able to travel all over with no difficulty and more often than not walked from the hotel to the areas of interest. It was safe too. The staff were helpful and friendly and the concierge was always at hand to point us in the right direction or give us some useful local advice. We ate in the restaurant on one of the evenings, which also has a separate entrance on the street and serves walk in public too. The food was delicious and again the staff were friendly. I would fully reccommend this hotel if you are planning a stay in NY.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Irishsas76

Reviewed 31 July 2012

I just spent 2 days at this hotel, which literally sits at the NW corner of Washington Square Park, right next to NYU in the Greenwich Village area.
The location can't be beat if you are interested in the Village atmosphere and neighborhood.
It's in the heart of it but on a side street so you don't wrestle with the constant traffic noise of a major avenue. Walk anywhere within the villages. You're about 8 blocks from Astor Place and St Marks Place, with funky shops, tattoo shops, shows and interesting people.
If you are into that area, this is for y ou.
I am also into ethnic restaurants, specifically Brazilian and paella bars, and was pleasantly surprised to find 5 or so within what turned out to be walking distance.
I was there for work and had to go up to Times Square and down to Wall Street several times, and within 2 blocks of the hotel you could get a line that took you straight there - no transfers in the hot oven of a subway in July!
Very pleasantly surprised at how much the hotel is on an artery of trains for the places many tourists want to go.
The hotel itself is what it describes itself as, and for the most part, what peopl ehere have said.
The really interesting part is the lobby - very retro and well done.
Room was small, but fine. I expected to have a bed and 2 feet of room to maneuver (I've been in those places too) but it was like a small bedroom. No desk, but the vanity can double as one.
Looked and felt clean. I had an interior queen (standard) room on the fifth floor and heard NOTHING all nigh t- not even people coming in and out of the little entryway which I was next to.
It was probably one of the quietest hotels I've been in and I was surprised based on some comments here.
The tip is to get something on the higher levels (and apparently 5 is high enough )and I think the interior, though billed as less expensive and less desirable, would be the quietest.
The hotel, being old, was designed to have several small hallways, so tehre were only 5 or 6 rooms in my hallway. again, I heard no one.
Contintental breakfast: plain but fresh bagels with condiments, fresh fruit, cereal, commerically-baked croissants, and choice of drinks. Decent. Served in the little lounge.
Helpful desk staff.
Really friendly door staff.
NOTE:Rooms are not ready until 3:30 p.m. but you can drop your stuff off at any time and they will store it for you. I came back at 3:30 and they were calling around housekeeping to find out which rooms are ready, so some rooms must be done very late.
Two customers behind me were told to come back after 4.
I thought this was pretty late for a hotel check-in, but it worked.
You can also use an ipad in the lobby to look things up and print your boarding passes etc.
Cab to Laguardia was $37 and $27.

Room Tip: Go for rooms on higher floors to avoid traffic noise. INterior room was very quiet. Don't bother...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank ayapua
Reviewed 24 July 2012

This hotel is situated right on the edge of Washington Square in Greenwich Village so its art deco style fits right in with the arty area in which it's located. Lovely room, had everything you could need for what is usually a shortish stay - we stayed for 4 nights and found it really quiet to sleep in despite NY being the city that never sleeps! The continental breakfast is great and has a really good choice - muffins are lovely! Staff (especially the door staff) are really helpful. All in all a great place to stay!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank Aileen S
Reviewed 23 July 2012

I recently traveled to NYC as a single female traveling solo. I was, of course, first and foremost concerned about my safety. Im the type of traveler who researches and researches until it feels right... That was Washington Square Hotel to me. I made my reservation through their website and was able to save $ by prepaying. I felt the room was reasonably priced considering NYC standards.

The hotel is located across the street from Washington Square Park, whch I found to be lovely.

The staff was phenominal. Always willing to help if needed. Arranged shuttle service to the airport. I even was able to go on the rooftop to take some photographs.

The complimentary breakfast was standard but nice.

The room was a bit small but I really didnt spend any time in the room other to sleep and shower. It was clean and comfortable.

The hotel is conveniently located to the subway, shopping and the heart of Greenwich Village. There are restaurants galore in close proximity as well as night life. One night while wandering the village I had dinner and a few drinks at Groove NYC. The band 45 Riots was playing and I became an instant fan. I returned back to the hotel at midnight and felt completely safe in the neighborhood.

The vibe of Greenwich village is incredible. I will go back again and I will also stay at The Washington Square Hotel again. . I spent three days wandering the village with my camera. It was an amazing journey.

If you have any questions that I may answer for you please feel free to send a message.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank KACARI
Reviewed 19 July 2012

I needed a hotel for just one night and was looking for a nice hotel that didn't break the bank. The hotel's location is within a few steps of Washington Square which is a small but beautiful park near Greenwich. Once inside, the front desk area is quite dark and confined, and I was glad there wasn't a crowd waiting to check in. The staff were helpful with general tourist questions. I did find, however, that my room required at least 7 stairs to the next level, and lugging a heavy suitcase was an issue. The bellman seemed to be somewhere else.

I was in room 128. The room had 2 double beds, but the sq. ft. of the room was small. The pillows were extra plump and the bed, itself, was very comfortable, but the duvets were extremely heavy and I ended up taking mine off the bed completely. This room proved to be very noisy, not only from the street noises, but also from the hall. I did not have an opportunity to sample the free breakfast as my flight the next morning was early.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank bookalukus
Reviewed 19 July 2012

I was quite looking forward to staying at the Washington Square Hotel. However, I found it to be a disappointment.

The location is very pleasant – on tree-lined Waverly Place, just a few yards from Washington Square in Greenwich Village. It may very possibly be the same hotel that Joan Baez mentioned in her song “Diamonds and Rust.” The hotel notes coyly that “Bob and Joan” stayed there. It is also right across the street from Babbo Restaurant, but if you don’t have dinner reservations there by now you are unlikely to get them in your lifetime.

Although the lobby was chaos when we arrived in mid afternoon, check-in was smooth. Unfortunately, the woman who checked us in was as pleasant as the desk staff got during our one-day stay. By the time I checked out they were close to surly. The one exception was the bellmen who were uniformly pleasant and very helpful with both luggage and directions.

The room was small – this is Manhattan, after all – but only adequate and not worth the price. It was on the first floor and the window faced MacDougal Street. The street noise kept us both up all night. It sounded like every street sweeper, garbage truck, moving van, and motorized vehicle of any stripe was driving right through the room. And it also sounded like passing pedestrians were expecting to be asked in for coffee. When coupled with the heavy duvets, which were completely inappropriate for temperatures in the 90’s despite excellent air conditioning, it was a sleepless night. Whoever coined the term “The City That Never Sleeps” must have been staying at the Washington Square. The room had a Keurig coffee maker, however, which was a nice touch, and much appreciated the following morning.

The bathroom was old in a kind of a quaint way: small tiles in need of updating. It was tiny and, again, acceptable, but only just. Towels and amenities were nothing special, but the bathroom did have a tub, which is somewhat unusual in Manhattan.

I was puzzled by the fact that the hotel lounge was closed when we came in after the theater, which meant that we ventured across the street to the bar at Babbo for a nightcap, but when we came back half an hour later the lounge was inexplicably open. Perhaps it was something we said.

The hotel does offer a simple complimentary breakfast, which I also found unusual in New York. It was basic – cereal, coffee, bagels, etc., - but it was enough to get one started in the morning.

On the whole, though, I don’t plan to go back. In my experience, there are many other hotels in New York that are better and more deserving of the tariff.

Room Tip: Stay away from rooms on the first floor facing MacDougal Street
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Matombo
Reviewed 16 July 2012

I needed to attend a conference in Greenwich Village and found the location of the Washington Square Hotel a real boon. Easy walking to nearly every place I needed to go. The staff was friendly and helpful, the complimentary breakfast very welcome (and better than some versions of this), and the overall feel of the hotel shaped by courteous attention. Little about which to complain. The room was perhaps smallish, a feeling exaggerated by a window with no view but the wall of the next building, but that seemed a tolerable quirk. The price would be steep in many markets--suggestive of more luxury--but in New York I think it was probably right on the money.

We would surely be happy to stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business