“Terrific customer service!”

Washington Square Hotel
Ranked #141 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 8 July 2014 via mobile

If you are looking for a clean, efficient and friendly hotel in the middle of Greenwich Village, this is the perfect place. The room was on the small side, but had all the amenities - good coffee, gym, robes, free wii-fi and central air. The TV was small, but who needs a big TV when visiting NYC. A great find - reasonable, excellent service and comfort...

Stayed: July 2014

Reviewed 8 July 2014

Its in Greenwich. You feel safe walking around. I walked to ground zero from the hotel. A nice hour walk and you can also walk along the river all the way downtown. Then you come back with line 2 or 3 to 14th street. A lot of nice restaurants around the hotel. The room was clean but the shower grout needed a little refreshment. Its small. The air conditioning is loud but NY gets cool at night and you can open the windows and sleeps with NY city noises! The elevator is very tiny-small. A large man a a tiny woman feel sqeezed. I was on the last 9th floor bringing me an empty elevator but I saw many other guest on other floors having to wait for the next. Its also walking distance to Washington square park. A mini Arc-de-Triumph with a fountain! Free wifi.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Just left a much pricier, new Botique hotel ( at 10:30 pm) to come here. We love this location, and eat at the awesome restaurant across the street, we obviously had an issue with the place we were at.. Toured the rooms here and packed up at the other place and came here.. Perfect location, nice rooms, roomy, nicely updated and great A/C... Reggie at the front desk was super helpful.. Will certainly be back...

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 July 2014

just an excellent experience!. I picked this hotel based on reviews and location and price. Good pick! I brought 2 relatives from Europe for a first time NY visit. Great location for downtown activities, right at the corner of Washington Sq Park, near subway lines, one of the best complimentary breakfast buffets I have had; fresh fruit, good strong coffee, yogurt and cereals. no eggs and bacon but this was a true continental breakfast. they do have items from a menu as well so I guess you can get this too. clean and modern room. friendly staff and a great value. I will def, visit here again on next trip to NYC!!!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 July 2014

I spent the last three days at the Washington Square Hotel. It is a very nice hotel, beautiful old, art deco in style. The room was SMALL. I had the deluxe double. It was really very nice, but oh so small. The smallest I have had in NYC. I didn't have any problems, but I am sure the staff would have taken care of them if I had them. They were very pleasant. I also had the continental breakfast and it was fine. Pastries, yogurt, cereals, bagels, cheeses and the coffee was good. Unlike some hotels in NYC, the wifi worked very well, although I had to provide the password every time, but it worked great, so that was not a problem.

The hotel is across the street from Babbo, a Mario Batali restaurant and the location is a stone's throw from Washington Square Park. It is just down the street from the Subway, so you couldn't find a more convenient location, close to some really nice shops and nice restaurants. NYC is so much nicer now than it was year's ago. It is always a pleasure to go. The area has lots of nice restaurants and shops, so if you have done all the other touristy things in NYC, this is a great place to stay for some less chaotic adventures.

Room Tip: If you want a quiet room, mine was 908 and it was as if I was alone in the hotel. It is on the top...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 June 2014

We were recommended this hotel by one of the "locals", who is a friend of ours. So glad we decided not to stay in the tourist areas (which we didn't enjoy), where we stayed on our first visit to NYC. There is no comparison!!!
This is a small hotel with character and history - a number of famous people have stayed here over the years.
The check in and check out was very quick, Reception staff very helpful especially the daytime concierge - can't recall his name - who asked us every day where we were going, did we need any help with directions etc. He gave me cardboard and tape to pack the prints I had bought, so they wouldn't get damaged. The staff serving breakfast are efficient and quick to seat and serve you. We upgraded to the full breakfast, which was excellent - many choices on the menu and all good quality. We met up with our friend for dinner at the hotel one night and had a delicious meal with great service. The hotel restaurant has a very good reputation with the locals and in fact many locals came in for breakfast during our stay. There is also a cosy bar for a drink before dinner!
The location is ideal for transport - a couple of subway stations only 5 mins walk away. There are many restaurants close by, all cuisines to suit all budgets. The area is very quiet right opposite the well known Washington Square, which comes alive on a Sunday with entertainers, dog walkers, families and just "people watching the world go by". We loved it.
Yes the corridors are narrow and rooms aren't particularly large, they could do with a little more storage space, but we managed fine for 6 nights. There is a room safe and the bathrooms are modern and a good size with hairdryers. Beds are comfy, nice linen and towels.
The only problem we had was on booking our room on line. They were experiencing computer problems and we were unable to make a deposit to secure the room. They were very apologetic and assured us the room would be held and we could pay on arrival. There were no problems with our reservation when we checked in.
This is a great place to stay for location, peace and quiet, great staff and good food. The price was also good value for New York.
We would definitely stay here again and would not hesitate to recommend it. Wished we could have stayed longer!!!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank evertravelling
Reviewed 21 June 2014 via mobile

Greenwich Village is the best neighborhood in NY in my opinion. The hotel has great staff, clean rooms and comfortable beds. I also appreciated the in room Keurig's, free wifi and adequate breakfast buffet. Quiet street allowed restful sleep!

• Stayed: June 2014