“Small scale, friendly staff, great location, good value”

6 Columbus - A SIXTY Hotel
Ranked #303 of 467 Hotels in New York City
New York
“Small scale, friendly staff, great location, good value”
Reviewed 2 November 2013

This boutique hotel is perfectly located above a top notch Sushi bar with Central Park and Time Warner out the front door. The small scale gives staff a chance to get to know you and your needs. I left my laundry bag in my room and they tracked me down at my office to ask what I'd like them to do. Very nice! They need to stay on top of the room decor as the wear and tear of a top hotel is starting to show around the edges.

Room Tip: Lower floors are the older and more solidly built original building, top few floors are an addition...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank columbuscirclenyc
Sebastian K, Front Office Manager at 6 Columbus - A SIXTY Hotel, responded to this review, 22 January 2014
Dear columbuscirclenyc,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. As a neighbor it means a great deal to us that you were able to enjoy our services and are glad to recommend it. Please feel free to reach out to me directly if you ever need accommodations for yourself again or your friends and family.

Front Office Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (179)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
richmond, va
Reviewed 29 October 2013

This boutique hotel is in the perfect location for access to shopping, Central Park, and entertainment at City Center, Carnegie Hall, and Lincoln Center. It’s about a 10 block walk to Times Square for Broadway Shows. Feeling energetic, we walked the 20+ blocks to the Metropolitan Museum of Art (80th Street and Fifth Avenue) and back, and lived to write this review.

The room we had was a deluxe king room with 350 sq. ft. of space and a window looking out upon 58th Street, directly across from the Time Warner Center. As a matter of fact we could see people working in their offices day and night. The lower floors of the Time Warner Center contain shops, with restaurants on the higher floors. Our room was absolutely fabulous.

The room comes equipped with a king sized bed and is very comfortable. There is a clock radio on the window side of the bed with the phone on the other side. There are wall mounted lights on either side of the bed. Also on the window side, I noticed a box built into the wall, containing several magazines. I didn’t get a chance to read those - after all, it was New York City.

The bathroom is spacious (for NYC) and contained a white bathrobe hanging on the inside of the door, along with an iron in its bag. The hotel furnished 2 large bath towels, 2 hand towels, and 2 wash cloths. Atop the commode tank were 2 glass containers, one filled with cue tips, the other filled with cotton balls (did not have any need for those).

Skin care products furnished by the hotel were Ren Clean Skincare, Neroli and Grapefruit Body Cream, and Crème Corps Fleurs D’Oranger et Pamplemousse, Ren Pro-Vitamin Conditioner, and Apres-Shampoing Pro-Vitamine.

The closet in the corner near the window contained an umbrella for guest use and a safe at the bottom of the closet. There were plenty of hangers. Near the closet, at the window, were 2 chairs and a table.

As you enter the room, there is a full length mirror on the wall to your left. Beyond the mirror is a writing desk and chair. Beneath the desk is the mini-fridge and above the desk is the 40” sized TV screen facing the bed.

The service in this hotel is outstanding and I wholeheartedly recommend it for your next visit to NYC.

Tip: There are 2 pullout drawers built into the bed for storing your belongings. We didn't notice those until we looked under the covers.

Room Tip: Room 81 was perfect for us.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank shinbun
Dear shinbun,

It is a great pleasure to read such a thoughtful and detailed review! We hope we get an opportunity to host you again on a future trip to New York, in which, we will do everything we can to secure 81 again (or possible one of our junior suites!).

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 October 2013

This was a great hotel, although we did get upgraded on the second day to a big room with balcony which made the experience much better. The first room was quite cramped, although still functional. The staff were friendly and helpful.

The hotel is very close to central park, a whole foods within a shopping mall and so many bars and restaurants it's hard to pick where to go.

Room Tip: Try to stay in one of the bigger rooms
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear SuperRadiationBoy,

Thank you for the thoughtful review. We are pleased to see you enjoyed the location and room set up so much. We hope to see you again!

Reviewed 25 October 2013 via mobile

A small boutique hotel close to Central Park with friendly service. Decor is nicely done. Japanese restaurant on the ground floor was very, very good, but a bit too loud.

We first was given a standard room, with a window with an inside view. Sort of like looking into an elevator shaft with a pipe runs through the middle. Daylight from the opening high above. Below is an abyss.

The bed in the standard room was Tokyo sized double. It's standard length, but significantly narrower than regular double. They should have installed railings on both sides.

Ended up we had to pay more to move up to a room with king bed. This studio room with a relatively large terrace was very spacious and comfortable. Terrace has all the loungers, chairs and table we need, yet still enough space to walk around.

Bathroom was also very spacious with a full deep tub. They have the same contoured toilet seat that we are accustomed to - it feels just like home.

Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank SuperRadiationBoy
Dear SuperRadiationBoy,

We are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and hope we have the opportunity to host you again!

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 22 October 2013

We were shown to a "standard" room, reserved for $400/night. Small even by NYC standards with a double bed that was ok for midgets in love but we're regular sized people in love. The window looked onto a light shaft with a tiny opening many floors up, so basically no light, no air, and no view.

After complaining, we got, for $100 extra, a three-times bigger room with a giant terrace populated by a couple of large lounge chairs and a table-and-4-chairs--with lots of room to spare on the terrace. King bed with tons of floor space and big bathroom, with a tub large enough to do laps in--ok, maybe I exaggerate slightly.

So your view of this hotel will depend on whether you feel ripped off to be in a closet for $400/night, or whether you are enjoying a palatial suite for $500/night. Clearly it improved for us in the second room, but I would not stay in this hotel unless I could be sure of getting it. I would, however, be happy with one of the tiny rooms if I had been travelling on my own.

The sushi resto--The Blue Ribbon--was loud, but the sushi was among the best I've ever had--and I've explored Japan as well as the west coast of North America. Also a great selection of beer. It's a class act. It was open till 0200 on the Saturday night we went there, and was busy from 0030-0145 which is when we wanted to have dinner.

The hotel staff was impeccably friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Starting on the 10th floor and up, rooms may have balconies and real windows that get real daylight...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank intrepid1406
Dear intrepid1406,

Thank you for sharing your experience! We are glad that our staff was able to find you accommodation that fit you and your partner could truly enjoy. The Studio King Suites are wonderful rooms and we do offer several room categories in between the Standard room you initially booked and the Studio King that may also be great options for you on a future stay.

Please feel free to reach out to me directly whenever you plan on coming back to New York and I will be glad to assist you.

New Canaan, Connecticut
Reviewed 20 October 2013 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

Standard "boutique-y" NYC hotel. Clean, but cramped room. Spartan furnishings and worn in places. Location is excellent, and the world class Blue Ribbon sushi is just off the lobby. Good choice for a reasonably priced, well located midtown stay - especially if it is for only a couple of nights.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Brian P,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us! We are so glad you had the opportunity to enjoy our restaurant and liked it so much!

For your next trip to New York please feel free to contact us directly and we will be glad to assist you with that future booking.

L.A.
Reviewed 15 October 2013

I've stayed here before when I needed to be central to NY Fashion Week and my clients' showrooms, and always appreciated the location (Whole Foods is right across the street, and a 24-hr drugstore is next door) and thought the hotel was pretty good. But my most recent visit has been disappointing - first I had to switch rooms to get a room with a desk...and then the desk had no chair. And then the chair they brought me didn't fit. So they brought some beaten up wooden chair from god knows where that juuuuust fits...but def not a comfortable work set up. The room phone is damaged (I had to call downstairs from my cell), the tv lost sound for about an hour last night, there's no gym or affiliation with nearby gyms, I'm facing a wall...it's just not worth the $400-$500+ per night I'm paying. I cancelled the rest of my reservation and am moving to another hotel mid-trip - not the most convenient situation, but I can't stomach what I'm getting vs what I'm paying when there are so many great hotels in the city.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank sslaven
Dear sslaven,

I am sorry to hear about your disappointment during your most recent stay. With regards to the room type would do offer a wide spectrum of rooming options to accommodate our guests needs (some that do include working desk). I am glad that we were able to accommodate your request for a desk once you made it, however, it does seem like we missed the ball on the execution of it all.

Since you have enjoyed the hotel on previous occasions, please feel free to reach out to me directly and I will be glad to find a room that will better suit your needs and ensure that it is properly furnished. Additionally, we have worked hard on developing relationships with local gyms and have some options for you close to the hotel for that next visit.