“Would go there again and again”

6 Columbus - A SIXTY Hotel
Ranked #308 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 13 June 2014

I had to go to NYC last minute for a job interview two weeks ago. Most hotels were already booked, and I had to go through several bookings with hotels that, after reading reviews, seemed horrible. I landed at 6 Columbus, and I'm so glad I did. Granted, I had to pay a little extra, but it was worth it. Location wise, you couldn't ask for anymore...it's right next to Columbus Circle, a walk to the park, or midtown. The rooms were extremely clean, the bathroom was great, and the staff was really courteous. I checked in at 2am, and they didn't seem to have my reservation (an online booking error from a third party website) but they were really nice, and understanding. They booked me in at that hour without a problem! The doormen also rule. He sent me off to the airport with a newspaper, which is a nice gesture.

Additionally, I really liked the security aspect of the hotel. You use your key card to get access to any upper floors in the elevator.

The only few issues I had that could make this hotel so much better (not that it needs to be) but I would have coffee makers in each room (you have to go downstairs to starbucks). The wifi is not free...and I figure if you're paying that much per night, it should be complimentary. Also, there was a lack of drawer space for foldable clothes. I had to pile it up in the wardrobe. Again, minor things that aren't deal breakers!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank thejlt
Kristine_Richards, General Manager at 6 Columbus - A SIXTY Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2014

Hi thejlt-- thank you so much for your kind review! The team here is so happy you enjoyed your stay with us. Please let us know when you're looking to come back (even if it's not at 2am!) and we will ensure you're taken care of.

There are newer reviews for 6 Columbus - A SIXTY Hotel

Reviewed 8 June 2014

What the room lacked in size it made up for in upgraded finishes and stylish design. Very cozy and modern, and the location is right next to the Columbus Circle Subway, and a block away from Central Park. Good value for an NYC hotel.

Rooftop bar is overpriced and small, with not much of a view or menu, but the staff is very friendly and helpful and the hotel is very clean.

Do yourself a favor and get sushi place 2 doors down - MUCH better than the sushi at the hotel restaurant.

Room Tip: None of the Superior rooms have views, and the views from Deluxe rooms aren't that great. The Ti...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Kristine_Richards, General Manager at 6 Columbus - A SIXTY Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2014

Hi Megan,

We are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us! Our location, as you mentioned, is definitely convenient-- I'm happy you got the chance to not just appreciate our property, but explore our neighborhood as well. We would love the chance to welcome you back in the future, so please let me know if you're planning another getaway and I'll ensure our team finds a great room for you.

Reviewed 5 June 2014

Had a wonderful weekend in the city at 6 Columbus. Perfect location, good price, and nice amenities. Rooms are smallish and don't have a view unless you spend more, but NYC is about getting out and about. Highly recommend the rooftop bar! Highlight of the stay.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Hello K C,

Thank you for your kind review! We are so happy that you enjoyed our hotel and our rooftop bar. It's our 'hidden gem' .. such a great view of the city. Please let me know when you're looking to book your next stay with us & I will ensure you're taken care of!

Reviewed 5 June 2014 via mobile

Despite a welcoming staff and a nice small sushi restaurant, the hotel is really not special. Small rooms, not as small as Hudson but close and nothing fancy. Old furnitures, Low lights, small queen bed, bad tv signal and hectic wifi. on the 6th floor, I have a view on a big pipe covered with pikes and a dirty courtyard. Room is clean though and quiet.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Julie D

Hi Julie,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on us-- I'm glad you found our staff & restaurant to your liking. Please let me know next time you're planning a trip to New York, as I'd love to show you some of our other room types; we have many with different views & larger beds, which sound like they would suit you best. I know we can find the perfect fit for you going forward.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 19 May 2014 via mobile

We booked a room through hotel tonight. With all the fees, it ended up being just under $400. The staff was super friendly and helpful and it was great to have Blue Ribbon right downstairs for food and drinks. Location is great.

The main issue is the room size. I mean, I get it. I've lived in the New York area almost all my life. Space is limited and everything is expensive but to charge approx $350 for a room that can only fit a full size bed and barely anything else is a little much, even for NYC. Though for the size of the room, the bathroom was a decent size.

One thing we wanted to check out but didn't, was the rooftop lounge. That sounded pretty cool.

• Stayed: May 2014
Kristine R, General Manager at 6 Columbus - A SIXTY Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2014

Hi Coaldawg,

Thank you for taking the time to review us. We really appreciate the feedback! I'm glad you enjoyed our staff, location, and the amazing food at Blue Ribbon.

Our POD room, which you stayed in, is our entry level room-- which is generally what our Hotel Tonight guests receive, as they're booking very last minute & that's all we have available at the time. I can assure you we do have a variety of larger room types in the hotel (even two story Penthouses!) but they do book up quickly. Next time you're planning a trip to NYC, please reach out to me directly and I'll ensure you get the chance to enjoy one of our larger rooms.. and the rooftop lounge. Your suspicions were correct-- it is pretty cool.

Reviewed 16 May 2014

I booked through Hotel Tonight and for $375 + tax. The tiny window looked into a "tunnel" of cement blocks with no light. The room was so small, there wasn't even a desk or chair. Also, no iron.ironing board in the room. Carpet was very worn. You can do better for that price. AC was incredibly loud.

Room Tip: Do not book room 62. Small, dark, looks into cement block tunnel, no desk/chair, worn carpet and ve...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank maxthemanx

Hi Max,

Thanks for your feedback. When you book through third party 'last minute' apps and websites, such as Hotel Tonight, you're receiving our entry level room type. We don't even get the chance to talk to you before you arrive to find out what it is you're looking for in a room-- many guests prefer our larger suites with views of Central Park; others are just looking for a great place to lay their head for the night and don't even stop to peek out the window. Our POD room, which you stayed in, is one of the latter configurations. We would love the chance to show you the variety we can offer, as we do have many other beautiful room configurations that I'm sure would meet your needs. Please reach out to me directly when you're returning to the city (even if it is the same day!) and I will ensure we take care of you.

Reviewed 13 May 2014

I've been searching for a hotel that is both on the 'recommended' list for my parent corporation and feels safe and not weird when you walk the corridors upstairs. 6 Columbus is the best I've found, and I'm going back next week for another stay.

It is well located near the Park, near multiple subway lines, and near restaurants. If you walk west you find old style New York inexpensive lunch places, and across the street at the mall there are high end restaurants galore. Or you can go a few doors down for decent sushi. I had an excellent breakfast at the hotel's small cafe, too.

The room was totally adequate and comfortable. Biggest complaint was the totally broken window and roller shade in my room. Maintenance came quickly to close it after it flew open, but it needed real attention, which it never received during my stay. But at least it had a way to bring in fresh air, rather than being hermetically sealed or only openable to 2 inches...

My one complaint was the dearth of doormen and clerks - the staffing was light or busy elsewhere, especially the door staff. I used to stay at the Mondrian Soho frequently and appreciated the uniformly available and helpful staffing.

Room Tip: Lots of street noise, so choose a high floor.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank recklessweimie

Dear recklessweimie,

Thank you for staying with us at 6 Columbus!

Our location is one of our greatest assets, and I'm glad you've had the chance to really get to know our neighborhood. We have a little bit of everything within walking distance from us, which really gives our guests that 'New York' experience. I'm so happy you enjoyed all elements of your stay with us. Please let me know when you're returning to the city next and I will have our team take great care of you.

6 Columbus - a SIXTY Hotel