“Just as good the second time!”

6 Columbus - A SIXTY Hotel
Ranked #307 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Just as good the second time!”
Reviewed 19 July 2014

My wife and I stayed here a few years ago and then again the week of July 1, 2014. Had a great experience each time. Location and staff were excellent. Room was fairly small and a window view of an interior brick shaft, but we don't go to NYC to stay in our hotel room. The staff was very friendly and helpful from the front desk to the maids. Will definitely stay there when we go back to NYC to visit. Right at Columbus Circle with close access to subways, cabs, or even walking to Times Square. Three cheers to Ben (Concierge), Peter (Bellman), and Felicia & Florinda (Front Desk) for making our stay at the 6 very pleasant.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Paul R
Kristine_Richards, General Manager at 6 Columbus - A SIXTY Hotel, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
Hi Paul,

Thank you for your amazing review, and thank you for staying with us again! We're always glad to welcome our loyal guests back, so please let me know when you're looking to return. I will ensure our amazing front office team takes care of you again.

6 Columbus, a SIXTY Hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (179)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Toronto
Reviewed 1 July 2014

I wish it was possible to give this hotel somewhere between an average and a very good rating. I've stayed here several times for business and the main drawback in the rooms I've had is that they were all quite dark with views of machinery on top of nearby buildings or just walls of neighbouring buildings. I've stayed in a pod, a queen and an executive queen so perhaps if I'd stayed in a suite the views and light might have been better.

The halls are also a bit dark and slightly rundown looking but the bedding is good quality and bright white and the bathrooms are very clean. New York is generally not for hanging out in the hotel room anyway. The hotel is just across the road from the Time Warner building that has a Whole Food downstairs and a great Bouchon Bakery on the top floor, where you can grab a coffee and look out over the southern edge of Central Park. It's steps away from Central Park and a 15 minute walk from things like the American Museum of Natural History or shops like the Bloomingdale flagship store.

Like many hotels in NYC the prices go up and down considerably depending on the week but will definitely stay again for convenience. Not sure why it changed from being a Thompson Hotel to a Sixty Hotel. The front desk staff said it's still owned by the same company overall. The concept has stayed the same with the slight change in name.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank tartecerise
Kristine_Richards, General Manager at 6 Columbus - A SIXTY Hotel, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Dear tartecerise,

We truly appreciate your feedback, so thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am happy to hear you enjoyed our location (Bouchon is absolutely a neighborhood favorite!) and had the chance to chat with our Front Office team.

We do have a variety of rooms and layouts in the hotel (even starting with our entry level rooms) and I'd love to show you some other view options when you return next. I'm confident we will find a view that works for you! Please let me know when you are planning your next trip and I will have our team assist you with your reservation.

6 Columbus - a SIXTY hotel
Burnaby, Canada
Reviewed 29 June 2014

Located in a convenient location with access to transit and stores. I stayed in one of the basic rooms on their 2nd floor and was quite disappointed with the experience.There are certain likeable features in the room such as the bathroom mirror lights, floor heater, and powerful air conditioning (which was perfect for a hot day in June). However, the carpet was dirty, the toilet broke down, and the design of the bathtub and shower curtain was hidicous causing flooding on the bathroom floor. While I loved how power the shower was, the water did not go down the pipe quick enough causing back flow of water accumulating in the tub. That was bad design.
Also, there are handles on the bed-frame to open up drawers for storage; however, those handles had cut me a couple times while I was walking by or getting off the bed. I personally thought that was also a bad design.
I suspect that the employees were underpaid and weren't well-trained since the messy janitor room/house-keeping storage units were left open, which indicates lack of care to customer experience.
While the broken TV and toilet were fixed, the other complaints addressed to the the front desk at checkout weren't even apologized for - it didn't feel that the employee whom we checked out the room with cared about the issues at all.
I do want to thank to bellman for allowing us to leave the suitcases with them for hours since my flight was late in the evening, hours after I checked out. They were courteous and professional.

For a tourist, it may not be too bad of a choice if you just want to a convenient place to back to after a long day visiting New York; if you are expecting to stay in and relax, then the it's may not be the place for you unless you go for the upgrades.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Martin K
Reviewed 14 June 2014

I stayed at the 6 Columbus for 3 nights while in business attending a conference at Javits centre. I used the metro from JFK and the express A line runs all the way from Howard beach to 59th Street Columbus stop. Great service and staff were very friendly. This central location has easy access to restaurants and NY attractions.

• Stayed June 2014
2 Thank Michael Z
Kristine_Richards, General Manager at 6 Columbus - A SIXTY Hotel, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Hi Michael,

Thank you for your review! You're correct-- our location is amazing & definitely one of our greatest assets, along with our team. I'm so happy you had the chance to appreciate both! Please reach out to me directly when you're looking to return to the city and I'll ensure you are taken care of.

long beach, california
Reviewed 13 June 2014

I had to go to NYC last minute for a job interview two weeks ago. Most hotels were already booked, and I had to go through several bookings with hotels that, after reading reviews, seemed horrible. I landed at 6 Columbus, and I'm so glad I did. Granted, I had to pay a little extra, but it was worth it. Location wise, you couldn't ask for anymore...it's right next to Columbus Circle, a walk to the park, or midtown. The rooms were extremely clean, the bathroom was great, and the staff was really courteous. I checked in at 2am, and they didn't seem to have my reservation (an online booking error from a third party website) but they were really nice, and understanding. They booked me in at that hour without a problem! The doormen also rule. He sent me off to the airport with a newspaper, which is a nice gesture.

Additionally, I really liked the security aspect of the hotel. You use your key card to get access to any upper floors in the elevator.

The only few issues I had that could make this hotel so much better (not that it needs to be) but I would have coffee makers in each room (you have to go downstairs to starbucks). The wifi is not free...and I figure if you're paying that much per night, it should be complimentary. Also, there was a lack of drawer space for foldable clothes. I had to pile it up in the wardrobe. Again, minor things that aren't deal breakers!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank thejlt
Hi thejlt-- thank you so much for your kind review! The team here is so happy you enjoyed your stay with us. Please let us know when you're looking to come back (even if it's not at 2am!) and we will ensure you're taken care of.

Reviewed 8 June 2014

What the room lacked in size it made up for in upgraded finishes and stylish design. Very cozy and modern, and the location is right next to the Columbus Circle Subway, and a block away from Central Park. Good value for an NYC hotel.

Rooftop bar is overpriced and small, with not much of a view or menu, but the staff is very friendly and helpful and the hotel is very clean.

Do yourself a favor and get sushi place 2 doors down - MUCH better than the sushi at the hotel restaurant.

Room Tip: None of the Superior rooms have views, and the views from Deluxe rooms aren't that great. The Ti...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Kristine_Richards, General Manager at 6 Columbus - A SIXTY Hotel, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
Hi Megan,

We are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us! Our location, as you mentioned, is definitely convenient-- I'm happy you got the chance to not just appreciate our property, but explore our neighborhood as well. We would love the chance to welcome you back in the future, so please let me know if you're planning another getaway and I'll ensure our team finds a great room for you.

New York
Reviewed 5 June 2014

Had a wonderful weekend in the city at 6 Columbus. Perfect location, good price, and nice amenities. Rooms are smallish and don't have a view unless you spend more, but NYC is about getting out and about. Highly recommend the rooftop bar! Highlight of the stay.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Hello K C,

Thank you for your kind review! We are so happy that you enjoyed our hotel and our rooftop bar. It's our 'hidden gem' .. such a great view of the city. Please let me know when you're looking to book your next stay with us & I will ensure you're taken care of!