“Price on website too good to be true, Literally!”

6 Columbus - A SIXTY Hotel
Ranked #339 of 473 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 10 February 2010

Checked in 2 days before the big snow storm in NYC. I booked a pod room on the website for $150 for two nights. Room was very hip, very nicely updated but that was it. It was a smallish double bed, reading lights on headboard were not working. Despite putting the heat up to max, cold air cranked all night in the dead of winter. So I shut it off and froze under the very thin down douvet. (no extra blankets in room or top sheets on the bed) The Douet was so starched that the flakes were all over the bed! In the bathroom the tiled floor was supposed to be heated. Not! I left my contact lens solution next to the window in the bathroom and due to the lack of heat overnight, when I woke up it was getting crunchy (starting to freeze). My shave cream was indeed frozen. Hair dryer was missing, so after a night of no sleep as I shivered in my bed, I looked like crap the next day for work. Upon asking the front desk first thing in the morning for a room change (asked them to move my luggage while I was at work) and an upgrade for the hassle, not only did they not relocate me before I returned, but they put me in another shoddy pod room. In this room I went to roll up the shade on the window to see what my view was and the entire mechanism fell off the window. Clearly this happened to the occupant before me. On another subzero night, I had nothing blocking the cold air from coming in. Although this time the heat did minimally work. These rooms are the size of my walk in closet at home. There is not much space to maneuver around the bed. Infact you feel like you are literally in a POD or a CELL. The shower stall in the next room must have been built on the wall right next to my bed. The walls are paper thin with zero insulation, I could hear the water running through the pipes and the sudsy couple cavorting for what seemed an eternity. $10 bucks per 24 hrs for WIFI, get lost!

BUT YOU CAN STAY FOR $150. as the saying goes. YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!

Very hip and excellent Suhi bar in the lobby, but I'll take a pass coming back here to stay.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled on business
5  Thank palmster
Write a ReviewReviews (1,158)

Reviewed 7 February 2010

I live in NYC, and I had to move out of my apartment for a few days while I was having work done to it. I picked 6 Columbus because it was well rated here and a Tablet Hotel. The only room available was a pod room, for $99 per night. The room was small, but the bed was amazingly comfortable and the bathroom was a nice size and very clean.

Some commenters have noted that you can hear sounds coming from other rooms - I found this to be the case only when there were people talking in the hallway, and it didn't bother me. I think the value for the price was incredible, and I would definitely recommend it to friends.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 February 2010

Spent one night here earlier this week for spouse's business event. Location is perfect for anyone with an event at the Time Warner Center; it is directly across 58th street from one of the TW entrances. Received a good rate through quikbook and then was given an unexpected (but nice!) upgrade to a king studio on the 11th floor. The room was in the back of the hotel which was wonderful because there was absolutely no street noise; it was very quiet at night for sleeping. The room and the bathroom were HUGE by NY standards. It was freezing outside and although we turned the thermostadt up to 78, the room never went over 63-64 degrees, which was chilly. If we had been there more than one night we would have had to ask for it to be fixed. Room had both a big walk-in shower and a separate tub. Bed linens were warm, clean and comfortable. Bed itself was one of the most comfortable hotel beds I have ever experienced. Wood floor instead of carpet was very nice touch. Service at the front desk and with the valet/doormen was good. Did not try the hotel restaurant. Starbucks next door for coffee and a pharmacy on the corner. Would definitely stay here again if we return to this neighborhood of NYC.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 December 2009

I waited too long to book my hotel and I was nervous that the only rooms left were pod rooms. From the reviews people had said they felt cramped and too small. When I opened my door I was incredibly delighted with the room size. EXTREMELY CLEAN, with a nice bathroom (heated floors) and a very comfortable bed. We were only there one night and I had a lot to do, however we got stuck Saturday in the big snowstorm. We ate an early dinner downstairs at the blue ribbon and I must say I was very impressed with BR's food as well. After a late dinner on 32nd St., we ventured back in the snow and stopped next door to the Coliseum for some drinks. Very nice little place RIGHT next door which is a good night cap in a blizzard.

I could not be more pleased with my stay. The doormen were incredibly polite and helpful and the room itself was small, but more than adequate for two people to enjoy each others company. I plan on staying here again whenever I am in NYC.

Reviewed 20 December 2009

At 180 a night (pod), I would stay at this place again--rooms are trendy nice, clean, and the hotel is in a good location.

But, as some others have noted, the walls are paper thin(e.g. we could hear the neighbors conversation and TV) which is a big negative. But when all other comparable rooms hotels are 300+ I can live with it.

Reviewed 16 December 2009

I just stayed at this hotel with a colleague, and I'm not sure I'd return. Pros were: comfy bed, roomy bathroom with heated floor, great location, friendly & helpful staff, very clean, decent price considering the location and season. Cons: Paper-thin doors with a large gap around the perimeter, which meant that the noisy family staying in the rooms adjacent to mine, who were ordering everything under the sun from room service and the bell hop, and arguing, could be heard all night long. No business center, but the staff printed some things for me. No desk, so it was difficult to work. No place to store luggage--I ended up putting my suitcases in the window, which had a view of nothing. Rooms were small (but that's New York), but the extremely dark decor made them seem even smaller--my friend remarked that it seemed like a ship cabin. For a place that prides itself on being high-end down to the last detail, I was surprised at how they skimped on toiletries--no lotion, and only one bar of soap, which meant I had to use the same bar for showering and washing my hands. A small annoyance, but when you're paying that much at a so-called high-end place, you would expect more.

I switched to The Pod half-way through, which cost a third of 6 Columbus, and even though the room was smaller (I guess that's possible!), I felt more comfortable there because it was very light. The Pod also had ample toiletries, a desk, a great shower (I opted for an in-room bathroom) and FREE wi-fi (whereas it cost $10/day at 6 Columbus). And it was every bit as hip and clean, and only 2 blocks from the metro.

Bottom line--6 Columbus is not good for a business trip, and I probably wouldn't stay there for a personal trip either, especially if I were with my spouse--we would be on top of each other and there wouldn't be enough room to store our belongings--there was barely enough room for just me. If it's hipness you're after, I would stay at the Pod instead, and have several hundred extra dollars in your pocket for fun. 6 Columbus' biggest asset is its location--literally steps from Columbus Circle and Central Park.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank Sara D
Reviewed 7 December 2009

We were in town to see South Pacific at Lincoln Center. I chose this hotel because it was within walking distance to Lincoln Center and right across from the Time-Warner Building where we were having dinner (at The Porterhouse). When I called to make the reservation and asked for early check-in, I was told they would do their best. Well, I have to say that they did let us have the room at around 11AM. That was the good part. Now the bad: the room cost us $485 for ONE NIGHT and it was the size of a postage stamp. We quite literally could could barely walk around the bed. There was no room for our one suitcase. We had to store it on top of the very small closet in the room. Also, for some reason there was no top sheet on the bed; just a bottom sheet and a comforter on top. We will not be going back there ever.

1  Thank Annamazing