“Horrible service. I cancelled the reservation in July rightfully for October stay and they charged me wrongfully on card”
Review of Hotel Belleclaire

Ranked #236 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 20 November 2013

I cancelled the reservation in July rightfully for October stay and they charged me wrongfully on card. I have email them and have no response. This is horrible service and I am very disappointed. Will never book this hotel again!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank tipsyhoney
sgeres, General Manager at Hotel Belleclaire, responded to this reviewResponded 27 November 2013

Dear Tipsyhoney,

Thank you for writing a review about the Hotel Belleclaire. We appreciate your feedback! Please contact me at your earliest convenience to discuss this situation further. It would be my pleasure to assist you directly. I can be reached at 212-706-4469 or sgeres@hotelbelleclaire.com.

Scott Geres

Reviewed 20 November 2013

My daughter wanted us to experience the upper west side of NYC ,so she booked The Hotel Belleclaire. After having stayed in modern hotels,recently, I was pleasantly surprised by the classical old elegance of the lobby. The room was comfortably large enough for two people, following Old NYC standards,but is smaller than the newer hotel rooms. The bathroom had the basic amenities ( like Bigelow toiletries). I was impressed by the selections of water as you entered the hotel(not the usual bottled water,but several infusions,like lemon,tea?, and mint)to quench my thirst. Belleclaire is conveniently located. It's convenient to ride the metro uptown and downtown(15 mins.) to Broadway, which beats taking the taxi. Several interesting shops were along Broadway-especially the lingerie shop on the corner . All in all, I enjoyed my stay at this friendly hotel.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Anna N, Sales and Marketing Coordinator at Hotel Belleclaire, responded to this reviewResponded 22 November 2013

Dear PrOInfo,

Fantastic! Thank you so much for your great review! We love hearing that you were able to take advantage of our prime location, appraisal of our team, the comfort, cleanliness, and all amenities that Belleclaire has to offer. I notice as well your mention about the safe and convenient location of our Hotel Belleclaire. Is true that it’s in a perfect location, just a stone throw away from Central Park and is situated in a friendly neighborhood on the Upper West Side, where there are lots of bars, shops and places and which is very appreciated by our guests.

We look forward to welcoming you again soon at Belleclaire. It will be our pleasure to have another opportunity to show you the gracious hospitality and superb service. If we could be of any assistance in your future plans, please do not hesitate to contact our reservations department at 1-877-468-3522 or reservations@hotelbelleclaire.com.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed 20 November 2013

The hotel was very nice, rooms in a good size, comfortable bed, clean, and well equipped.
The staff were excellent, welcoming and pleasant.
The location is fabulous, five min walk from the park, close to good restaurants, and the American museum of Natural history (recommended!)
The only bad thing is that the walls are thin, so you can easily hear the people at the neighbor rooms, so if you have troubles sleeping it may be a problem.
I would stay again, with pleasure!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Dear nikTlv,

Thank you for sharing your wonderful experience at the Hotel Belleclaire! We are delighted with your comments regarding our prime location, the comfort, cleanliness, the amenities, our qualified staff and their excellent services. With steps away to the subway station, our location offers easy access to various main attractions and locations throughout NYC. Take a walk through the picturesque Central Park, dine at a world class gourmet restaurant, let music fill your ears at Lincoln Center and top off the night with delicious cupcakes from Crumbs Bake Shop.

We were delighted to accommodate your reservation needs and look forward to your future stay at Hotel Belleclaire!

Reviewed 15 November 2013

Stay date November 2013
The Hotel Belleclaire not only offers a fabulous location on the UWS (close to great restaurants, bars, shopping,Central Park, and transportation), they are also an exceptional value. The hotel is tastefully decorated, up to date/ fresh, and has all the desired technology in rooms. Its also well kept/clean, and all staff were v professional, courteous, and welcoming. They really made me feel comfortable. I was also impressed with the clean, fresh smelling linens in my room. They were..."downy fresh". I would definitely stay there again & recommend to others! Thank you Hotel Belleclaire for a great experience!

K. Novellino

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Karen N
Anna N, Sales and Marketing Coordinator at Hotel Belleclaire, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2013

Dear Karen N,

We are very thrilled with your comments regarding our Upper West Side location, the cleanliness, the comfort, our amenities, the value, and especially: the superb service. I know our staff will be equally pleased to learn of your kind remarks and recognition of their efforts and service. I notice as well your mention about the nice renovations of our rooms and lobby.

There is a vast selection of top-rated restaurants and gourmet bakeries within walking distance of the Hotel Belleclaire. To name a few of my favorite bakeries, I would recommend Crumbs Bake Shop or the newest addition to the Upper West Side; Sugar and Plumm (purveyors of yumm)!

We appreciate your business and your feedback, and we certainly look forward to welcoming your family and friends soon at Belleclaire. If we could be of any assistance in your future plans, please do not hesitate to contact our reservations department at 1-877-468-3522 or reservations@hotelbelleclaire.com.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed 15 November 2013

Stayed here for four nights in a standard room, which was typical Manhattan size and quite frankly, I could hardly fault the place. The rooms here are clean and have modern facilities. Room safes are also provided. ( Just one little gripe about the length of time it took for the hot water to get through sometimes on the higher floors. But, when it did come it was hot.) Very helpful and friendly staff. We arrived two hours early, but still allowed to check-in. The hotel is a little way off the tourist beat of Midtown, but the Upper West Side isn't a bad place to stay at all. As already mentioned in many other reviews, there is an excellent subway link very close-by that allows you to get to Midtown and Downtown Manhattan cheaply and quickly.You're on Broadway and so Times Square is within walking distance. Central Park is just a short walk away. Lots of places to eat and some of the city's liveliest bars can be found in this locality. I really liked it and I might even choose to stay here again on my next visit.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Micklefielder

Dear Micklefielder,

Thank you for the very positive review of your recent visit to the Hotel Belleclaire, conveniently located near Central Park! We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. I am delighted to read your appraisal of our team, services, the cleanliness, our amenities,and I know our staff will be equally pleased to learn of your kind remarks and recognition of their efforts. We really appreciate your business, and hope to welcome you back soon. If we could be of any assistance in your future plans, please do not hesitate to contact our reservations department at 1-877-468-3522 or reservations@hotelbelleclaire.com.

Reviewed 12 November 2013

This is an older hotel with great character on upper West Side. Clean, friendly, good sized room and bed. Great location; 2 short blocks to subway. Very interesting old-NYC-style neighborhood. Close to good restaurants and central Park. I really enjoyed my stay

Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank wctravel i
Anna N, Sales and Marketing Coordinator at Hotel Belleclaire, responded to this reviewResponded 14 November 2013

Dear wctravel i,

We truly appreciate the very kind and positive review of your stay at the Hotel Belleclaire! The exceptional quality of personal service and amenities are the hotel’s signature approach. We provide complimentary high speed wi-fi access, a mini refrigerator in each guest room, 24 hour access to the fitness center and media lounge to name a few. In addition to our newly renovated lobby and guest rooms, all bathrooms will feature newly renovated and modern floor to ceiling glass enclosed showers, tasteful espresso vanities, and a splash of white stonewash tiles.

As you kindly mentioned, we are situated in the heart of the Upper West Side; a magnificent, cultural and residential neighborhood that is located steps away from the subway station. Our location offers easy access to various main attractions and locations throughout NYC.

Reviewed 12 November 2013

Where to begin? Let me start by saying I couldn't make this up if I tried...

I booked two nights at the Belleclaire through QuikBook, and the price seemed OK for the location and what was on offer. I even upgraded several days before arriving, being told on the telephone I would then enjoy a larger room and a view. Wrong!

Arrived well before the 3 PM check in time, room was not ready, so went out for a lunch in the neighborhood. I did, however, do the full check-in at that time, verified the upgraded room (for which I was paying extra) and was told that the room would be on floor 7 or higher, either on one wing of the hotel with city views or on the other, facing the Hudson River and the New Jersey skyline. Which did I prefer, she asked? I chose the river view, at her suggestion.

Came back around 2:15 PM and room was still not ready, but no worries. It still wasn't 3 PM.

At about 2:50 PM, I approached the desk again and asked when I might expect the room? Of course, the clerk clicked here and there on the computer and said that, because of late check-outs, the room had still not been cleaned, but I didn't really get a real answer.

Just at that moment, a man (wearing jeans well below his back side, underpants and bum on view) approached the desk with a fistful of $100 bills and asked the next clerk over if he could stay another night. "My girl's up in the room and we need to stay longer..." The clerk said that they had overstayed their reservation - but he handed over the cash, and their request was granted. And I was bugged. I also wondered what kind of hotel this was?

Right at 3 PM (ten minutes later) the clerk approached me in the lobby with the good news that my 6th floor room was ready. 6th floor? Hadn't she said 7th or higher? Oh well, I thought.

I was excited to get to the upgraded room and to see the aforementioned view... Only to find a very small room with no view whatsoever. No water. No river. No New Jersey skyline. The back side of the next block over and their rooftop water containers - that's what I could see. To say I was disappointed was un understatement.

The room itself looked OK at first glance, but upon closer inspection it was really pretty shabby.

In addition to the smooshed bug on the wall next to the bathroom, the banged-up furniture, the plug-in, window unit air conditioner, the windows that didn't open, the very cheap plaster job in the bathroom, the toilet that took 6 flushings to get it all down, the banging radiators and heating systems at night, the lack of soundproofing... I was totally disappointed, to put it gently.

Saturday evening, on my way out to dinner, a client and a different desk clerk were having a heated argument on the sidewalk just outside the front door. "Let me tell you, we can resolve this amicably, as friends, or I can hit the nuclear button at tomorrow at noon. I mean, make things really unpleasant for all of you. And you really won't like that. Ya know, you've got big crime bosses staying up there, and you know it, and you really don't want the general public to know about that, too, now do you? So you tell the owner he can settle this quietly, like friends, or I can go ballistic on all of you. Trust me, you don't want that. I'm telling you. Noon, tomorrow."

Three hours later, coming back from dinner, there were two ambulances parked outside the hotel with sirens blaring, police cars with lights flashing, and at least four armed officers in a hotel lobby filled with all sorts of commotion. "What was going on," I asked the fellow at the desk? "It's nothin'. We got a phone call from a guest."

Huh?

Sunday afternoon I came back to the room at about 4:15 PM after a day out... Opened the door to realize that housekeeping had not been by... After arranging for someone come, I then had to hang out in the lobby and wait when all I wanted to do was put my feet up and rest.

I could go on, but you get the drift.

Funny that when I came in to work today and told a colleague about having stayed at the Belleclaire, she made a "you're crazy" face and said "I think that place used to be a flophouse. They've tried to spruce it up, but it needs some serious work." Yup.

The clerk at check-out did not ask how my stay was, but I did let her know - and asked that the upcharge for the 'deluxe' room be removed from my bill.

The best part of my stay was that she took the charges off immediately, no questions asked, and that I then left.

If you're looking for a not-so-expensive New York hotel - and you actually want to enjoy your stay - I'd recommend you look elsewhere. Really.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere.