“Small rooms, noisy hotel”
Review of Hotel Belleclaire

Ranked #233 of 466 Hotels in New York City
Chicago, Illinois
“Small rooms, noisy hotel”
Reviewed 28 November 2013 via mobile

Positives: well located for West Side, good service from everyone,

Negatives: expensive, very small rooms, narrow corridors, tiny elevators, noisy on Broadway, no coffee service in the morning, coffee bar selection was weak or sold out,

Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Mark B
sgeres, General Manager at Hotel Belleclaire, responded to this review, 10 December 2013
Dear Mark B,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about the Hotel Belleclaire. Your feedback is essential to our success!

We appreciate the kind words that you mentioned regarding our location and service. We strive to achieve a positive experience for all of our guests.

We apologize for the condition of the room being too small and noisy. We do have wonderful premium rooms on the west side of our building with breathtaking views of the Hudson River. These rooms on the higher floors are very quiet even to NYC standards. Please contact me directly if you would like to make a reservation in the near future. It would be my pleasure to offer a complimentary upgrade for you.

Best regards,

Scott Geres

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (425)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Warsaw, Poland
Reviewed 27 November 2013

Nice hotel in the quiet neighborhood. Decent, clean rooms. Unfortunately slightly noisy. You hear water in the heating system and a street via old, one layer windows. But as we were tired we slept very well. This is what you pay for, I would say.

Room Tip: As high as possible
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Anna N, Sales and Marketing Coordinator at Hotel Belleclaire, responded to this review, 2 December 2013
Dear nicolau66,

We are pleased with your comments regarding our wonderful location and our cleanliness. As you already kindly mention, Belleclaire is located in a cultural and residential area, two blocks away from the subway train station and steps to some of the best small restaurants and coffee shops. Thank you for letting us know that there was an element of your stay that you found needed improvement (noise), and this will certainly be addressed and corrected. We hope to see you soon!

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 November 2013

We were in NYC just for the weekend and we booked 3 nights at the Belleclaire.
Clean rooms, staff very friendly and ready to help.
The location is very good too and it is easy to catch the underground; central park with a taxi takes just couple of minutes and 8/9$.
Instead of pay for the breakfast at the hotel we recommend a good brunch (find tips using tripadvisor) and that is what we done so we cannot judge the one served at the hotel, but it looked standard, nothing special.
Rate 4/5 you get all you need plus, and this in very important, friendly people that helps when needed.
It will be the first hotel that we will consider next time.

1 Thank sam N
Dear Sam N,

Thank you for the very positive review of your recent visit to the Hotel Belleclaire, conveniently located near Central Park! We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. I am delighted to read your appraisal of our team, the prime location, cleanliness, services and I know our staff will be equally pleased to learn of your kind remarks and recognition of their efforts. We certainly look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Warm Regards,

Miami, Florida
Reviewed 24 November 2013

I spent two nights at this hotel. Very friendly, fast checkin at front desk.
The hotel was built in the early 1900's, and is very elegant.
The elevators are almost big enough for four (small) people, and the hallway leading to my room was so narrow that the employee helping me with my luggage was unable to squeeze the hotel's luggage cart to my room. I suppose that should have been an indication of the size of my room.
The front desk informed me that I had been upgraded to a "deluxe" room. I was surprised and anxious to get to the room.

It turned out that the room had barely enough space for just a double bed, a small desk, and a small end table. (And a radiator that hissed and clanked all night).

The room's window air conditioner - which I didn't need to use, since the outside temperature was in the 30's - allowed the outside temperature to become the inside temperature, since the outside air was happily flowing through the turned off unit into my room. I solved this by taking one of the towels and wrapping it around the unit to stop the draft. I finally convinced the noisy radiator to heat the room, instead of it trying to cook me in the room, which is what it was originally trying to do.
Right around the corner from the hotel is a 24 hour grocery store... a great place to pick up some reasonably-priced breakfast.
I think I finally figured out why there was no closet in my room - only four hooks on the wall to hang things: the room itself WAS the closet... it was about the same size as a regular walk-in closet in a normal house.
Overall, the hotel was ok. But, I wouldn't recommend this hotel for a more than two night stay, as you will have no place to hang any clothes. Well, except for the four hooks on the wall...

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Dear tvphotog1,

Thank you for spending the time telling us about your experience at Hotel Belleclaire. Your feedback is essential to our success. We are happy with your comments regarding our prime location, cleanliness, Front Desk and Housekeeping service. I am sorry that you had a less than exceptional experience and that there were a few elements (heat noise, a/c, wardrobe space) of your stay that you found needed improvement, and these will certainly be addressed and corrected. Please feel free to contact our reservations department at 1-877-468-3522 or reservations@hotelbelleclaire.com in case your future plans bring you back to New York City.

Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 23 November 2013

There are a lot of things to like about this hotel. There's a lot of history attached to it and it is a very charming place. Our room was better and roomier than expected and as clean as you can expect a hotel room to be. The location in the Upper West side is as good as it gets if you want proximity to Central Park and rows of great restaurants (check out Jacob's Pickles and Beer near 86th). Nevertheless, I hate to mention the negatives but they were too annoying to ignore, all related to the bathroom. The hot water took about 10 minutes after turning the faucet to climb up to our room on the 7th floor and the waste of the resource just killed us. Also, the toilet tank refilled itself every 15 minutes through the night, which made sleeping a sketchy proposition. That's just two annoyances but they count. However, if you are in a New York state of mind, stay at the Belleclaire, just check the state of the bathroom.

Dear RobertThornhill,

Very nice! Thank you so much for your great review! We love hearing that you were able to take advantage of the comfort and cleanliness that Belleclaire has to offer. I notice as well your mention about the convenient location of our Hotel Belleclaire. Is true that it’s in a perfect location, just a stone throw away from Central Park and is situated in a friendly neighborhood on the Upper West Side, where there are lots of restaurants, bars, shops and places and which is very appreciated by our guests. However I am sorry that you had a less than exceptional experience and that there were a few elements of your stay (hot water, toilet noise) that you found needed improvement, and these will certainly be addressed and corrected. We appreciate your business and we certainly look forward to welcoming you again soon at Belleclaire. If we could be of any assistance in your future plans, please do not hesitate to contact our reservations department at 1-877-468-3522 or reservations@hotelbelleclaire.com.

Paris, France
Reviewed 23 November 2013

I was pleasantly surprised as the price, location, service, and quality of the room were all very good. Although rather small, the room was very clean and the bed very comfortable. Small details like the quality of the sheets(frette) and the bathroom products (bigelow) were nice added touches to what turned out to be a very pleasant one week stay. The first night however, i was given a 'room with a view'- basically one thin-slice view of broadway. Generally having difficulty sleeping, the incessant noise of traffic-cars, buses, garbage trucks etc...kept me up the entire night. The air conditioning unit was installed directly in the window and was not properly sealed, so it sounded as if the window was wide open the whole night! Reception the next morning were very apologetic and immediately moved me to a room on the other side of the building. There was absolutely no 'view' other than a brick wall, but it was QUIET. (This is New York City after all!!) The only thing i really missed having in the room was drinking water and a coffee machine. Other than that, i would highly recommend this hotel as the location is really excellent, and value, for NYC, is very good.

Room Tip: If you are noise sensitive, definately ask for a room in the back of the building, or simply ask fo...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Dear onlinejsiu,

Thank you for spending one full week at Hotel Belleclaire!! We really appreciate the time you took telling us about your experience at Hotel Belleclaire. We are delighted with your comments regarding our prime location, the value, amenities, comfort, and cleanliness, and our qualified staff and their excellent services.However I am sorry that you had a less than exceptional experience and that there was an element of your stay (noise) that you found needed improvement, and this will certainly be addressed and corrected. We really appreciate your business. Please feel free to contact our reservations department at 1-877-468-3522 or reservations@hotelbelleclaire.com in case your future plans bring you back to New York City.

Warm Regards,

Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed 23 November 2013

I stayed here my first night in NYC, and luckily it was my only night here. First of all, when we walked in, it was about 85 degrees. Blasting heat - it took us hours to cool it down to a reasonable level, AFTER turning on the AC during the winter - completely unnecessary and a total waste of energy.

But that is bearable. The worst problem was that the bed was awful. Both of our backs hurt for the next week. It hurt to walk around the city because our backs were aching so much. And we are healthy, active people in our twenties. It took DAYS for our backs to stop hurting. I know this sounds like an exaggeration, but I promise it's not. The bed was like concrete, and I will never stay at Belleclaire again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank ElleryR
sgeres, General Manager at Hotel Belleclaire, responded to this review, 27 November 2013
Dear ElleryR,

Thank you for taking the time out of your day to write a review about the Hotel Belleclaire. Your feedback is essential to our success!

I apologize for the inconvenience that you experienced. I would appreciate it if you could contact me directly in order to review the challenges that you encountered. I can be reached at 212-706-4469 or sgeres@hotelbelleclaire.com.

Scott Geres