“Shower handle”
Review of Hotel Belleclaire

Ranked #228 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 24 February 2014

Excellent accomodations. There was a problem with the shower handle that could lead to someone being scalded and that would create a problem for the hotel. (See previous note) Other than that, the staff was extremely pleasant, the bed was comfortable, the room well appointed, although a bit over heated.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Anna N, Sales and Marketing Coordinator at Hotel Belleclaire, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2014

Dear Elizabeth I,

Thank you for your great review and your comments about the comfort and the service from our staff. However I am sorry that you had a less than exceptional experience and that there was an element of your stay (shower handle) that you found needed improvement, and this will certainly be addressed and corrected. We really appreciate your business. Please feel free to contact our reservations department at 1-877-468-3522 or reservations@hotelbelleclaire.com in case your future plans bring you back to New York City.

212-706-4479 / salesoffice@hotelbelleclaire.com

Write a ReviewReviews (3,782)

Reviewed 24 February 2014

I'd spent hours researching a hotel for my partner and I to stay in for his 40th birthday earlier this month, New York had always been a place we wanted to visit and so I wanted to make this trip as special as promised. Although some reviews were mixed of the Hotel Belleclaire I was confident the location would be brilliant for us - and it was. A few blocks from Central Park, the Natural History Museum the walk to Times Square (providing you go via Central Park) is idyllic for an early evening stroll before a meal.
Anyway... First impressions - the desk staff were pleasant, not overly friendly - pretty much check you in and that's it, no polite conversation. We were fortunate that our room was ready early as we arrived at the hotel for 1pm due to our plane being early. Once we'd found our way to our room I was quite surprised! The reviews say small and this is no over exaggeration. They are very small.
I'd e-mailed the hotel a few weeks previous to our stay enquiring on whether they could provide a bottle of something fizzy in the room as it was my partners 40th - I'd received an e-mail from the hotel confirming this would be in place. It wasn't. At first I assumed because we were early, but as it got to 4pm I realised that the bottle of fizz wouldn't be appearing (Yes, I could have chased it up but I hadn't been charged before arrival for it and I didn't want to waste my short holiday complaining - this becomes a theme!) and we made do with the "free" tea.
This free tea and hot chocolate in the lobby is quite amusing - I only drink tea and in the morning when the coffee shop is open you have to pay for the tea. However the same tea is available once that coffee shop is closed, for free. It completely puzzled me!
Anyway - I didn't bother enquiring to the fizz as we seemed to be ignored throughout most of our stay by the staff... Suited us really but surely a good morning as we walked past reception wouldn't have gone amiss?
We were staying Tuesday to Friday, I've worked in hotels myself before and we didn't really see the point in having our room cleaned - we couldn't get our safe to work (we could have asked at reception about this, I know, however it wasn't that important to us and would have wasted valuable time of our holiday sorting it out) so didn't really want anyone in the room- we therefore kept the "do not disturb" sign on the door.
On the first day, the Wednesday, of our "do not disturb" sign being up, we had a nice answer phone message from house keeping offering to come anytime before 6pm to clean the room, a nice touch. However on the Thursday as we were getting ready to go out for an early evening dinner we got another phone call - demanding to know if we were smoking in our room! Apparently someone had complained! Neither my partner nor I smoke, I explained this to the woman on the phone who's name was not given, without any apology for her disturbing us in our room (my partner had been trying to grab forty winks) she promptly hung up the phone. This was the most interaction we had with any member of staff.
Also, upon our arrival there was "something" in a box in our fridge in the room - we didn't bother opening it up to find out what it was but it was from a bakery down the road. Again, I could have mentioned it at the time but I really didn't want to waste any of my short holiday dealing with complaints!
All in all, a fabulous location - as long as all you are after is a bed to sleep in at night!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Hfry2,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with the Hotel Belleclaire. Please allow me to apologize for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay. We have alerted our staff and will take proactive measures to avoid this issue in the future. I notice as well your mention about the convenient location of our Hotel Belleclaire. Is true that it’s in a perfect location, just a stone throw away from Central Park and is situated in a friendly neighborhood on the Upper West Side, where there are lots of bars, shops and places and which is very appreciated by our guests. We were pleased to read your appraisal of our team and I know our staff will be equally pleased to learn of your kind remarks. It will be our pleasure to have another opportunity to show you the gracious hospitality and superb service. If we could be of any assistance in your future plans, please do not hesitate to contact our reservations department at 1-877-468-3522 or reservations@hotelbelleclaire.com. We hope to see you soon!

Reviewed 24 February 2014

stayed at Belleclaire for ten nights! It was amazing, better than what I thought.

The room was very spacious and the heating was just right. Although a little old school style it was still fine to adjust. The staff were always very friendly and helpful and you can pick up a really good detailed map of NYC from the reception too! The only thing I would prefer to be better is the size of the bathroom however it was fine for two people in a hotel situation. I'd also like the mention that the room service everyday was great, the ladies do a very good job!

The hotel Belleclaire is a little old compaired to some more modern style places however it makes you feel more at home so I quite liked it and would definitely come back to Belleclaire next time I visit New York!!!

Dear Alexnatalie112,

Thank you for spending ten nights at Hotel Belleclaire!! We really appreciate the time you took telling us about your experience at Hotel Belleclaire.
We are delighted with your comments regarding our qualified staff and their excellent services.
The Hotel Belleclaire has recently completed a multi-million dollar renovation and continues to improve guest rooms and amenities. We look forward to welcoming you again soon at Belleclaire. It will be our pleasure to have another opportunity to show you the gracious hospitality and superb service. Please contact our reservations department directly by calling (877) 468-3522 or email reservations@hotelbelleclaire.com if your future plans bring you back to New York City.

Reviewed 23 February 2014

First impressions were good, there was a mix up in our booking which was quickly corrected by the very helpful staff. The room (206, Broadway King )was large, well equipped,clean and tidy. However after one night sleeping in the cold noisy room we asked to be moved, again the staff could not do enough. The hotel itself is good its well placed for the subway, local eating houses and Broadway,but there is room for improvement. The Staff are great and nothing is to much trouble. I would use it again after an assurance that double glazing has been fitted to my allocated room.

Room Tip: Double glazing is a must for rooms at the front of the hotel.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Anna N, Sales and Marketing Coordinator at Hotel Belleclaire, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2014

Dear Camarad,

Thank you for sharing the positive review! As you kindly mentioned, the exceptional quality of personal service and amenities are the hotel’s signature approach. I’m pleased to read your appraisal of our team, the cleanliness, services, and the very kind remarks and recognition of our staff’s efforts. It’s great to hear you took advantage of the prime location in the heart of the Upper West Side. Thank you for letting us know that there was an element of your stay that you found needed improvement (noise), and this will certainly be addressed and corrected. Again, we truly appreciate the positive review! We hope to see you soon!

Reviewed 21 February 2014

Everytime I visit the staff is cheerful, helpful and knowledgeable. Always eager to assist with questions, directions or suggestions. The rooms are beautifully appointed and each time I return there is another unique touch in the guest rooms. I love being located on the upper west side where you have easy access to the metro to get to the bustle of downtown, but you can always return to the nice neighborhood feel around Belleclaire.

I recommend this to everyone I know heading to the big apple, and will continue to do so :)

Dear Equusmgmt,

I am very happy you enjoyed your stay with us here at Belleclaire Hotel. Thank you for your great review and your comments about the service from our staff. I know our staff will be equally pleased to learn of your kind remarks and recognition of their efforts and service. As you already kindly mention, Belleclaire is located two blocks away from the subway train station and our location offers easy access to various main attractions and locations throughout NYC. We are looking forward to your return!

Reviewed 20 February 2014 via mobile

I stayed at the Belleclaire with my mum for my 21st. The staff were so friendly. Austin and Jacob helped us to find some really cool places to go and seemed to know all there was to know about the city. Hector was always so helpful too.

The hotel is in a great location about 15 mins from Times Square and 5 mins from The Museum of Natural History. There's plenty of subway stops within walking distance and it's real easy to hail a cab.

The hotel itself is real plush ver quirky looking if a little hot at times. Our room could get rather warm due to the very noisy old fashioned style radiator and the window was quite difficult to open. There also were no shelves and not many drawers which made unpacking a tad difficult.

All in all the hotel was just great. Everyone was so accommodating and helped to make my 21st really special. Thanks again for the champagne it was much appreciated.

Stayed: February 2014
Anna N, Sales and Marketing Coordinator at Hotel Belleclaire, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2014

Dear Holly M,

We truly appreciate the very kind and positive review of your stay at the Hotel Belleclaire! The exceptional quality of personal service and amenities are the hotel’s signature approach. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and the complimentary champagne. I am delighted to read your appraisal of our team, services and I know our staff will be equally pleased to learn of your kind remarks and recognition of their efforts. It’s great to hear you took advantage of the prime location in the heart of the Upper West. We certainly look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Happy Belated Birthday, Holly!

Reviewed 20 February 2014

We have been to NYC three times and have stayed two of those times at Hotel Belleclaire. We love it! It is gorgeous, in a great part of town, easily accessible, etc. The staff are always so helpful and friendly. The rooms are cute and always look and smell very clean, which is a big deal to us. We would highly recommend this hotel to anyone staying in NYC!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Krista B,

Thank you for the very positive review of your recent visit to the Hotel Belleclaire, conveniently located near Central Park! Our location offers easy access to various main attractions and locations throughout NYC. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. I am delighted to read your appraisal of our team, services, the cleanliness, and I know our staff will be equally pleased to learn of your kind remarks and recognition of their efforts. We certainly look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.