“Excellent Value For Money”
Review of Hotel Belleclaire

Ranked #229 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 27 February 2014

We stayed at this hotel for 10 days.
The location is excellent, clean and quiet rooms, well equipped and comfortable bed.
My only review is with regards to staff, obviously not generalized to all receptionists, but only two of them, which showed very little willingness to be helpful and kind.
But overall, the hotel deserves my review of "VERY GOOD".

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Anna N, Sales and Marketing Coordinator at Hotel Belleclaire, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2014

Dear Flavio C,

Thank you for spending 10 days at Hotel Belleclaire!! We really appreciate the time you took telling us about your experience at Hotel Belleclaire. We are delighted with your comments regarding our location, the deluxe accommodations and the amenities. However, please allow me to apologize for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay about our staff, we have alerted them and will take proactive measures to avoid this issue in the future. We look forward to welcoming you again soon at Belleclaire.

Reviewed 26 February 2014

We are very fond of the Hotel Belleclaire. Convenient UWS location, friendly and helpful service, clean and well-appointed rooms, free WiFi. Charming building is far more interesting than typical, boxy hotel spaces. We look forward to more visits.

Dear MarandyMarandy,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience at the Hotel Belleclaire! Complimentary high speed wireless, 24-hour fitness, and media lounge are just a few of the amenities we provide for our guests. Thank you for your great review and your comments about the cleanliness, our amenities, and the service from our staff. We were delighted to accommodate your reservation needs, and look forward to your return. Thank you for choosing the Hotel Belleclaire, MarandyMarandy!

Warm Regards,

Reviewed 25 February 2014

A great location close to an amazing bakery, the National History Museum and Central Park. A short subway ride to Times Square and a nice touch with free tea and hot chocolate available in reception all day long. The staff were very polite and courteous, especially when checking in. Our room was slightly too hot in the evenings but was a very good size for New York and had a brilliant TV, an easy-to-use safe and decent-sized fridge. Have already decided we would stay here again when we return to New York.

1  Thank Ryan B

Dear Ryan B,

Thank you for sharing your wonderful experience at the Hotel Belleclaire! The exceptional quality of personal service and amenities are the hotel’s signature approach. As you kindly mentioned, we are situated in the heart of the Upper West Side; a magnificent, cultural and residential neighborhood that is located steps away from the subway station. Our location offers easy access to various main attractions and locations throughout NYC. We were delighted to accommodate your reservation needs and look forward to your future stay at Hotel Belleclaire!

Reviewed 25 February 2014

Staff were lovely from check-in to check-out. Hotel itself is from turn of the 20th Century; this leads to its own problems. The old-style heating is very noisy. Although not such an issue for my group, a light sleeper could be easily put out. The plumbing is also an issue, with out toilet backing up twice during our stay.
Location wise, hotel is in a great place, just a few blocks from Lincoln Center & Central Park. Would love to revisit the hotel, knowing that its issues had been solved.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank munsteremerald

Dear Munsteremerald,

We are happy with your comments regarding our wonderful location and services. As you already kindly mention, Belleclaire is located few blocks away from Central Park and Lincoln Center. Thank you for letting us know that there were a few elements of your stay that you found needed improvement and these will certainly be addressed and corrected.

Reviewed 24 February 2014

Excellent accomodations. There was a problem with the shower handle that could lead to someone being scalded and that would create a problem for the hotel. (See previous note) Other than that, the staff was extremely pleasant, the bed was comfortable, the room well appointed, although a bit over heated.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Elizabeth I,

Thank you for your great review and your comments about the comfort and the service from our staff. However I am sorry that you had a less than exceptional experience and that there was an element of your stay (shower handle) that you found needed improvement, and this will certainly be addressed and corrected. We really appreciate your business. Please feel free to contact our reservations department at 1-877-468-3522 or reservations@hotelbelleclaire.com in case your future plans bring you back to New York City.

Reviewed 24 February 2014

I'd spent hours researching a hotel for my partner and I to stay in for his 40th birthday earlier this month, New York had always been a place we wanted to visit and so I wanted to make this trip as special as promised. Although some reviews were mixed of the Hotel Belleclaire I was confident the location would be brilliant for us - and it was. A few blocks from Central Park, the Natural History Museum the walk to Times Square (providing you go via Central Park) is idyllic for an early evening stroll before a meal.
Anyway... First impressions - the desk staff were pleasant, not overly friendly - pretty much check you in and that's it, no polite conversation. We were fortunate that our room was ready early as we arrived at the hotel for 1pm due to our plane being early. Once we'd found our way to our room I was quite surprised! The reviews say small and this is no over exaggeration. They are very small.
I'd e-mailed the hotel a few weeks previous to our stay enquiring on whether they could provide a bottle of something fizzy in the room as it was my partners 40th - I'd received an e-mail from the hotel confirming this would be in place. It wasn't. At first I assumed because we were early, but as it got to 4pm I realised that the bottle of fizz wouldn't be appearing (Yes, I could have chased it up but I hadn't been charged before arrival for it and I didn't want to waste my short holiday complaining - this becomes a theme!) and we made do with the "free" tea.
This free tea and hot chocolate in the lobby is quite amusing - I only drink tea and in the morning when the coffee shop is open you have to pay for the tea. However the same tea is available once that coffee shop is closed, for free. It completely puzzled me!
Anyway - I didn't bother enquiring to the fizz as we seemed to be ignored throughout most of our stay by the staff... Suited us really but surely a good morning as we walked past reception wouldn't have gone amiss?
We were staying Tuesday to Friday, I've worked in hotels myself before and we didn't really see the point in having our room cleaned - we couldn't get our safe to work (we could have asked at reception about this, I know, however it wasn't that important to us and would have wasted valuable time of our holiday sorting it out) so didn't really want anyone in the room- we therefore kept the "do not disturb" sign on the door.
On the first day, the Wednesday, of our "do not disturb" sign being up, we had a nice answer phone message from house keeping offering to come anytime before 6pm to clean the room, a nice touch. However on the Thursday as we were getting ready to go out for an early evening dinner we got another phone call - demanding to know if we were smoking in our room! Apparently someone had complained! Neither my partner nor I smoke, I explained this to the woman on the phone who's name was not given, without any apology for her disturbing us in our room (my partner had been trying to grab forty winks) she promptly hung up the phone. This was the most interaction we had with any member of staff.
Also, upon our arrival there was "something" in a box in our fridge in the room - we didn't bother opening it up to find out what it was but it was from a bakery down the road. Again, I could have mentioned it at the time but I really didn't want to waste any of my short holiday dealing with complaints!
All in all, a fabulous location - as long as all you are after is a bed to sleep in at night!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Hfry2,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with the Hotel Belleclaire. Please allow me to apologize for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay. We have alerted our staff and will take proactive measures to avoid this issue in the future. I notice as well your mention about the convenient location of our Hotel Belleclaire. Is true that it’s in a perfect location, just a stone throw away from Central Park and is situated in a friendly neighborhood on the Upper West Side, where there are lots of bars, shops and places and which is very appreciated by our guests. We were pleased to read your appraisal of our team and I know our staff will be equally pleased to learn of your kind remarks. It will be our pleasure to have another opportunity to show you the gracious hospitality and superb service. If we could be of any assistance in your future plans, please do not hesitate to contact our reservations department at 1-877-468-3522 or reservations@hotelbelleclaire.com. We hope to see you soon!

Reviewed 24 February 2014

stayed at Belleclaire for ten nights! It was amazing, better than what I thought.

The room was very spacious and the heating was just right. Although a little old school style it was still fine to adjust. The staff were always very friendly and helpful and you can pick up a really good detailed map of NYC from the reception too! The only thing I would prefer to be better is the size of the bathroom however it was fine for two people in a hotel situation. I'd also like the mention that the room service everyday was great, the ladies do a very good job!

The hotel Belleclaire is a little old compaired to some more modern style places however it makes you feel more at home so I quite liked it and would definitely come back to Belleclaire next time I visit New York!!!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Alexnatalie112,

Thank you for spending ten nights at Hotel Belleclaire!! We really appreciate the time you took telling us about your experience at Hotel Belleclaire.
We are delighted with your comments regarding our qualified staff and their excellent services.
The Hotel Belleclaire has recently completed a multi-million dollar renovation and continues to improve guest rooms and amenities. We look forward to welcoming you again soon at Belleclaire. It will be our pleasure to have another opportunity to show you the gracious hospitality and superb service. Please contact our reservations department directly by calling (877) 468-3522 or email reservations@hotelbelleclaire.com if your future plans bring you back to New York City.

Warm Regards,