Promised us an early check-in, "room will be ready by 1pm," which we confirmed at 11AM. When we arrived at 1pm they couldn't find any record of this promise but they said they'd get the room ready ASAP. We waited in the lobby an hour. I asked one of the desk staff twice for an update because I didn't think he would check with housekeeping on his own initiative. Indeed, on the second request he reported the room was ready. It would have been nice if he'd taken a tad more initiative. Room was very good (family suite), actually quite spacious for NYC. Yes, AC is via window units which will make some noise when on, but quieter than the individual AC units one sometimes finds at places like M-courtyard. Temps never got over 80 and we only ran them briefly in the afternoon. Furnishings were mostly very good, but one dresser was a bit worn down with a drawer that wouldn't close. Bath was ok. Very small (you could brush your teeth while sitting on the commode), and needed some attention from the staff (sink wouldn't drain, no stopper so rings and contact lenses would go straight down). Door trim held on with sheet rock screws (yes exposed but painted over), Beds and bath linens were as good as I've experienced anywhere (incl 5 star hotels), and service other than check in was outstanding. All the table lamps had usb plugs, which was a big hit with the kids and wife, who always want to be plugged in and charging. Nice touch that most of the big chains still sometimes lack.
Location is ideal, depending on what it is you will be doing in NYC. Subway is 2 blocks away. Mille-Feuille's 2nd shop is right around the corner for breakfast (Zabar's is 2 blocks away as well). Columbus ave (2 blocks) is chock full of great restaurants. Mid-town is 3 stops away on the #1 line. I prefer this location over most mid-town hotels I've used in the past.
It's not a high-end hotel like Le Parker Meridian by Carnegie Hall (modern/new/immaculate). Think if it as a nice, slightly eclectic, smaller hotel that offers good value, good service and a great location. Highly recommended if you get a discount off their rack rate.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Surrounded by an eclectic array of cultural offerings, Hotel Belleclaire combines classic charm with modern conveniences in a landmark building designed by Emery Roth in 1903. Suitable for business and leisure guests, our Upper West Side hotel is ideally located near iconic New York attractions including Beacon Theatre, The American Museum of Natural History, Central Park and Lincoln Center. Additionally, the avenues surrounding the hotel contain some of the most prominent boutiques, restaurants and bars in the city. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Odigeo, Hotels.com, Agoda, TravelUp and Southall Travel so you can book your Hotel Belleclaire reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Belleclaire Hotel New York City
- Hotel Belleclaire New York