“Location Location Location”

Ranked #37 of 466 Hotels in New York City
Wiltshire, UK
“Location Location Location”
Reviewed 27 August 2011

I've stayed in Manhattan many times and have never found a hotel that has it all. This came close but it wasn't perfect, I must admit. The hotel is quite unimpressive when you arrive. If you've been to the US before you will be used to an impressive lobby, usually that's where the money goes. There was no doorman and the lobby is dark. There are limited facilities but there is free coffee in the lobby and iced water and there is a PC available for for free internet access. It gets better once you get to your room. True, they are on the small side (but you are in a city) and the view is non-existent, well it was from our room anyway. However, I was travelling with my mother and I had a lot of problems finding a hotel room with two double beds in a luxury hotel that didn't cost the earth. This had them, with fab linen and Molton Brown toiletries, all at a very reasonable $350 inc tax per night over Easter weekend. The room would have been better if they'd removed the enormous office style chair that was stuck between the two beds. I'm really not sure why it was there, unless they expected the bedside table to double as a desk. Obviously they did. The closet was small, but we were only there for 2 nights so it didn't matter. The room had everything we needed and the welcome plate of free pastries and cookies was a nice touch. The location is the best thing though.......just off 5th Ave and on a great block full of eating establishments, we were spoilt for choice and cancelled our pre-arranged reservations at Aquavit as a result. Note, there is a fantastic Indian on this street, something of a rarity in NYC. I've spent years traipsing all over the city, I won't do that again. We got so much more out of our 3 days by staying in this location. We did pop into the Royalton over the road which I liked a lot. It wasn't my mother's style though. The Algonquin is also on the same street, it's been taken over by Marriott and I don't know what it's like but, again, the location couldn't be more highly recommended. Back to the Iroquois though, I dealt with the management over a booking error before I arrived and they couldn't be more helpful. This is a hotel that's trying hard and succeeding in the main. I would recommend it and would definitely consider another stay here in future.

Room Tip: Book a classic room for two beds
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Mac7471
IroquoisHotel, General Manager at The Iroquois New York, responded to this review, 9 September 2011
Good afternoon Mac7471,

Thank you for taking a moment to share your Iroquois Hotel experience. I am truly pleased to hear how convenient you found our location to be. I was disapointed to hear you were unable to locate a bell attendant upon your arrival. We normally have at least 2 attendants on per shift. We are looking at different lighting options for our lobby to enhance the overall feel. We did make a modification to the guestroom chairs to help the flow of the room.
Sincere appreciation for your comments and we look forward to your return!
Robert Holmes

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (386)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
honduras
Reviewed 26 August 2011

Lovely little hotel right in the heart of the theatre district. Traditional decor. Only problem was painfully slow elevators. Not a bargain, but a good value.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank gring0mama
Good afternoon Gring0mama,

Thank you for sharing your feedback about your recent stay at the Iroquois. I am glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and found our hotel is located in a great location! We will be replacing one of our elevators at the end of this year and this will have a great impact on the elevator speed.
We look forward to your return!
PEI Canada
Reviewed 25 August 2011

Stayed at iroquois July 2010 and just returned after four nights August 2011. Better than last year. From check-in to check-out our stay was delightful. Very central for our plans of shopping and theatre. King room, friendly and wonderful staff. A very special thank you to Concierge Vanessa for going above and beyond. You certainly are a great asset to the Iroquois. For us the Iroquois has become the "go to place" in NYC. See you in the fall of 2012.

The Goulds
PE, Canada

Room Tip: request a view of the Chrysler Bldg for your first visit.
Good afternoon The Goulds,
Thank you for taking a moment to share your experience at the Iroquois Hotel. We are quite fortunate to have the staff that we do and I will share your kind words to Vanessa. We strive to exceed all guests' expectations and I am happy to hear you enjoyed your stay.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the Iroquois Hotel.

Stockholm
Reviewed 25 August 2011

Location is fine if you want to live uptown, near central station and 5th ave.

Lobby is Very boring look like a 2-3 star hotel(Why?) its the same look at their other hotel in midtown Chandler. Staff is helpful.

Rooms are nice(maybe little old), normal size and normal bathroom with Molton Brown schampo etc(very good)

Restaurant didint visit it but it looked ok and it was crowded most of the nights.

Free wifi

If you get a good deal at the Iroquis i defenetly recomend it, but for "high cost price", their is alot of options of other hotels. I probably will choose another hotel next time i visit N.Y

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
Good afternoon EugenStockholm

Thank you for taking a moment to share your experience at the Iroquois Hotel. I do appreciate your feedback with regards to our lobby and we are looking at a few options to change the overall appearance and to provide additional seating. Our library is a great amenity that is located just off our lobby.
We look forward to your return visit to The Iroquois Hotel.
South Royalton, Vermont
Reviewed 23 August 2011

We just spent three very pleasant nights at the Iroquois in NYC. The hotel's location is its best feature, located on West 44th, a few blocks from Central Park, and a short walking distance from the Theatre district. The room price was very reasonable for a New-York luxury hotel, and we were automatically upgraded to a DeLuxe room upon our check-in. The room was on the small side, very clean and well-appointed, and the bathroom was spotless. We found very friendly and helpful, and we appreciated the many small touches that made us feel welcome (complimentary water in the room, chocolates on the pillow, complimentary NY Times in the morning and free wireless Internet). The only two items that were less than perfect was wireless coverage (the desk in room 1207 appeared to be unable to get coverage), and the noise of the AC system, which required my wife to sleep with ear plugs. All in all, we felt the hotel was a very good choice in NYC primarily due to its location, and to its attentive service. We will likely come back.

Dear Jhugon,

Thank you for taking a moment to share your experience at the Iroquois Hotel. I am glad to hear you enjoyed the complimentary amenities we provide to our hotel guests. Our goal is to exceed all guests' expectations and I am glad you enjoyed your stay. Our engineer inspected the ac in the room to make the repair and I apologize for any inconvenience.
We look forward to your return visit to the Iroquois Hotel.
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 21 August 2011

I found this Boutique Hotel a few years ago, and whenever I go to New York City, this is where I stay. The people are just wonderful ! Venassa, the concierge, was very helpful. The rooms are outstanding. What else can I say. The Hotel is in a great location. Near the theatre district, Time Square, Rockefeller Centre. I can say only good things about The Iroquois Hotel. They my stay in New York City that much better !!

1 Thank ladyblues_1
Good afternoon ladyblues,
Thanks for taking a moment to share your experience at The Iroquois Hotel. I am truly pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay and I will pass along your kind words to Vanessa, our Concierge. We are truly lucky to have her as part of our team. Please come back and visit us again soon!
Portsmouth
Reviewed 21 August 2011

We stayed at the Iroquois for five nights from 5th August. We had two rooms as we had my elderly parents with us. My mum is quite disabled and can only walk a few steps but nothing was too much trouble for the staff, who were always genuinely friendly and gave you the impression they really did want to help. The rooms just ooze class, with immaculate reproduction edwardian style furniture, stylish decoration and several lamps to give a warm, cosy feel- a real home from home! All the mod cons are there too- free Wi-Fi, flat screen TV, an Ipod docking station with speakers, a DVD player with a free 200 + title DVD library in reception. Fabulous beds, beautifully clean and luxurious bathrooms, complimentary bathrobes, evening turndown service with proper european milk chocolstes left on the bed with a little weather forecast card for the next day, a safe and iron and ironing board mean everything you need is here.

There's a very good quality award winning restaurant in house (Triomphe), but we were on a limited budget so only ate there once. Most mornings we ate at the Red Flame, turn right out of the hotel and walk 50 yards- excellent, filling, good value no-frills food. The hotel location is just perfect- far enough away from Times Square to be quiet, but just a five minute walk to it when you want to see the bright lights and soak up the atmosphere! Radio City is just around the corner and the theares of Broadway are only 5-10 minutes walk away also. As others have mentioned, take the Gray Line tours at $54 for unlimited 48 hour use of their four most popular tours. Also, for cheaper theatre tickets on the day, go to the clearance ticket booths behind the seating stand in Times Square- they open from 11:00 for matinees and 15:00 for evening performances.

Overall, this is probably the best hotel we've ever stayed in. For the price they charge for the rooms it's an absolute bargain!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Pompeydave
IroquoisFrontDesk, Front Office Manager at The Iroquois New York, responded to this review, 21 August 2011
It was an absolute pleasure accomodating your family. Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience on Trip Advisor. I hope we have a chance to welcome you again. Take care, Caroline Lakin