“Disappointed for the price”

The Iroquois New York
Ranked #45 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 18 October 2011

Perhaps I've been spoilt on my previous trips to the US, but I picked this as a boutique hotel thinking it might have more charm etc than one of the big ones.

The location was great, but I have to say for the money the room was so tiny, litterally room for the bed and the bathroom was dated.

Staff were very pleasant, but wouldn't say they went the extra mile.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
IroquoisHotel, General Manager at The Iroquois New York, responded to this reviewResponded 19 October 2011

Dear MOnika81,

Thank you for taking a moment to share your experience at the Iroquois Hotel. I was happy to hear you found our staff to be very pleasant, but do apologize that you found your guestroom to be small in size. We do have several different room categories available that offer more spacious layouts if your travel plans have you visiting NYC in the future. Please feel free to contact me personally so I can assist with your travel requirements, and I would be happy to show you the different rooms we have available. I am confident we can exceed your expectations.

Reviewed 14 October 2011

First: there was no doorman, although there are stairs to reach the door. Normally this isn't an issue, but I was coming from a conference and had a box of materials, a large suitcase, and two bags, so I could've used some customer service as I stumbled up the stairs slowly. At first I just thought the doorman had stepped away at that moment and it was poor timing, but I didn't see anyone there all night.

Second: I plugged in my laptop, walked away, when I came back I realized the outlet at the desk is bad and my computer was dead dead. I checked everywhere and the only outlet that works in the room is in the bathroom, so my laptop sat on top of the toilet for a couple hours.

Third: The space is already very tight, to be expected for a NYC hotel, but the minibar is absolutely gigantic. It's obviously there strictly for profit, and not for concern for me. If that piece of furniture were gone, I would not lose value, and the space would be lovely.

Fourth: They have satellite, so although the rain outside isn't that bad I am currently without tv.

Fifth: The fire escape is right next to my window. As a woman, I don't feel entirely secure with this setup.

1  Thank Lagreenwell

Dear Lagreenwell,

I wanted to take a moment and respond to your recent review of the Iroquois Hotel. We do pride ourselves on being a great choice for business travelers and have tailored several of our amenities to meet and exceed our business travelers’ needs, so I was disappointed to hear of your overall experience and can assure you that this is not an accurate representation of our hotel. We do have two door/bell attendants on duty to assist with guest arrival and departures, and they also facilitate guest requests. With regards to the laptop power we have checked all rooms to ensure this has been corrected. Contrary to popular belief, our minibars are provided as a convenience to hotel guests and they are not in place as a revenue stream.
I am happy to report that as of the end of October, we will be switching to Time Warner Cable that is provided via a fiber connection in replacement of our current Direct TV satellite service. This will provide an additional 40 channels of HD programming to all guestrooms. To respond to your comment about the fire escape, some of our rooms to face a mandatory fire escape but we do have several other room locations available for our hotel guests.
I welcome the opportunity to discuss this situation further, so please contact me at your convenience. Thank you for sharing your experience and as I stated earlier, this is not an accurate representation of the level of service and quality of the Iroquois Hotel.

Reviewed 11 October 2011

I took my daughter here for her !6th Birthday. We loved the location. It was easy to get around. the staff was great. A special thank you to Alan for his dinner recommendation. The room was small but the beds were very comfortable after a long day sightseeing. They accommodated our request for a late checkout and secured a ride back to the airport. Will definitely return!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 October 2011

We had a one night getaway without the kids with a flight to NY and a stay at the Iroquois Hotel. We've been there before a number of years ago. The hotel was beautiful and in a nice location next to the Algonquin.

We reserved the Deluxe Room (one above Superior) and it had about 300 square feet. It was a good sized room with a small bathroom and a superbly comfortable King size bed. We really wanted the king vs. the queen, but they wouldn't commit to that over the phone or when we arrived a bit earlier than check-in. They were friendly and professional at the check-in desk.

The porter Bill was great. He had a ton of information about the area and was very friendly and helpful.

They have complimentary coffee/tea in the lobby area. There's a little sitting area called the library. The concierge can arrange just about anything such as show tickets or car service. It's a bit pricey, but you can get what you want.

They have an automated phone wake-up call. Although I got the confirmation that it was set for the right time it didn't actually work. We had a backup alarm set, so we were fine. There was a parade in the morning with the streets blocked off at 9am on Sunday. The hotel did give us a notice under the door, but earlier would have been more helpful. We didn't have a problem as we had a car that picked us up at 8am.

We didn't try the restaurant, but heard it was great. We had wine in the room that we brought. There was a wine opener and glasses. You can call zero for ice. They have 200 DVD's available to borrow, most with a NY theme available.

We'd definitely go back for the very nice room and fantastic bed.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple

Dear Savann8h,

Thank you for your kind words. I have shared your review with Bill, our bell attendant. I am happy to hear of your overall impression of the level of service we provide to our hotel guests. I have had our phone technician review our wake-up call system to make sure all is in order and I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. We do make every attempt to notify guests of all city events that could possibly affect guest travel and happy to hear you found this information useful, but we can certainly look into the times the letters are delivered. Our policy is to deliver to all guestrooms the night before the event to allow for ample time for travel plans.
Thank you again for sharing your experience and we look forward to your return visit to the Iroquois!

Reviewed 10 October 2011

From the moment I walked up the steps to the front door and the very friendly doorman opened the door, till the moment I left for the airport, everything about my stay at the Iroqois was top notch. The staff was wecoming and helpful, I had a problem with my inroom telephone, and it was dealt with immediately, the staff in the restaurant was terrific, as was the food. The price was very affordable, the room is clean and comfortable, the bathroom is big, the linens and robes are Frette, the shower had water pressure... all those little things combined with the wonderful staff make it the hotel I will always stay in when in New York.

Reviewed 8 October 2011

I took my Mom to this hotel for her 63rd birthday (it was both of our 1st trips to NYC) and after staying in 5-star hotels all over the world, I can honestly say that this is one of the best hotels I have ever stayed at. 1) I called when our flight landed at 10:30am and asked if we could have an early check-in and they said they will work on it. When we arrived, our room was ready - so nice! 2) Vanessa, the concierge, is amazing. Very friendly and patient and she gave us some great tips to get around NYC for our first visit. 3) All of the doormen were extremely friendly and accommodating. We really appreciated when they let us borrow umbrella's on a rainy day! The complimentary coffee in the lobby was also delicious! Thank you for a great visit - keep up the good work!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 October 2011

The rooms are small, but very well maintained, The staff was very nice and helpful. Would go back there any time. We did not take breakfast there, but the surrounding is ideal and the road was not so noisy.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple