“Oasis of Calm & Courtesy”

The Iroquois New York
Ranked #41 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 24 August 2012

Everything about this hotel was outstanding. We arrived on a Tuesday afternoon, on vacation and were very quickly assisted by the bellman, then on to the front desk. This is a compact hotel, not grand, so if you're expecting that, this is not for you. Located on 44th St in Manhattan, it is literally close to everything we wanted to do: 9/11 Memorial, Ellis Island, Village Vanguard Jazz Club, ComedyCentral Club, Rockefeller Ctr, Strawberry Fields...etc. Very close to subway stations, Times Square, Broadway. The room was super-fantastic, beds were comfortable, sheets very luxurious, service was OUTSTANDING. The bath products Moulton Brown (very nice!). Join the Gold Club and receive a bottle of wine when you check in. I just can't say enough about this place, it's so quiet and classy. The bar downstairs made me a world-class special drink, the music was so nice too. I had a wonderful time and woul recommend this hotel, we got a good rate on booking.com.

Room Tip: Our room was on the 10th floor, facing the fire escape. The room had a black out shade and was supe...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Olsenbrown
IroquoisFrontDesk, Front Office Manager at The Iroquois New York, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2012

Thank you for sharing your experience on trip advisor, it is always a pleasure to hear such feedback from our guest!. We are pleased to hear our guests find our property to be a great convenience for them during their stay here. We are also flattered by your compliments on the service our staff was able to provide, we strive on making our guest comfortable as if they were at home. Once again thank you for choosing the Iroquois hotel and we hope to welcome you in again!

Assistant Front Desk Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (3,834)

Reviewed 23 August 2012

we try to come to NYC at least for a weekend once a year, but have never stayed at this hotel before. I booked it based on price then reviews. We arrived around 1130am way before check-in, but the front desk said they would store our luggage until the room is ready. We didn't use valet($65/nite) since there is a parking garage directly across the street( after validation $35/nite) I thought the room was comfortable and spacious enough for us(2 adults/2kids) it was clean,the shower was hot and good water pressure, we needed extra washcloths, which came immediately after i called front desk.You can't beat the location, extremely close to Times Square. We did receive a recommendation from Bill (bellhop/doorman) for a casual dinner, he recommended HB burger on 43rd, which was great( the beer was good , too). So, if the rates stay reasonable, this may be our new favorite hotel for use in the future/great staff/helpful and attentive

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
IroquoisFrontDesk, Front Office Manager at The Iroquois New York, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2012

It is honor to have welcomed you to the Iroquois for the first time. We would like to thank you your compliments they are too kind. I'm pleased that Bill was able to make your experience at the hotel that much more enjoyable, we would hope to see you soon!

Reviewed 23 August 2012

The hotel is lovely and the staffs are very helpful. The hotel is well located at the heart of Manhattan. It is a great value in this area of town, close to Times Square and Grand Central. The room is well equipped and the bed is comfortable. There is no coffee maker in the room but Gregorys Coffee shop is just down the road for coffee and muffins.
I couldn’t connect to the internet on the first night. The front desk staff came in to my room and tried to help me, she had the internet server to call me but the problem was still. I knew it was nothing they could do but at least she called me back and asked if it worked. I really appreciated that. It was actually my computer firewall problem, after I fixed it, the internet worked fine.
The staffs friendless are wonderful, especially the one who helped me with the internet, and the doorman who hailed taxi for me all the time. Absolutely much much better than some staffs in anyother hotels I have stayed, just say hello in the way everyone would expect, or may have conversation with you, but then completely forget anything about you next time they see you.
In The Iroquois, I am recognized and my requests are being taken care right away. Highly recommend to my colleagues and friends.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business

Thank you for your compliments and sharing your experience on Trip Advisor! I'm sorry to hear that you couldn't find a coffee maker in the room. Due to certain circumstances and fire safety rules we cant place coffee makers in the rooms. But we do offer complementary coffee in the lobby in the morning from 7am until 10:30am during the week and on weekends it is extended until 12pm. I am glad to hear our staff was of assistance in helping you connect to the internet and following up with you, we take in great pride in our customer service. We hope to welcome you in again the future!

Reviewed 20 August 2012

We have stayed at this hotel before but found that the level of comfort and service has gone down.

The Iroquois hotel is in an excellent location in midtown Manhattan. The staff is very accommodating. The provided continental breakfast was good.

However, the room was small and we had trouble with one of the bed lights not working, the air conditioning not cooling the room adequately and the hot water for the shower never getting more than warm. There was also a lack of available electric outlets in our room for computer power. Also we found the lighting in the lobby and the room to be inadequate.

None of the negatives mentioned above are more than minor complaints but they did add up and diminished our enjoyment of the hotel, which we have previously found to be quite good on all counts. Since the Iroquois is rated more favorably on Tripadvisor than some of its close by neighbors, which we have enjoyed, we thought that it would be wise to let fellow travelers know that there are other good choices in the neighborhood

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank winetraveler17
IroquoisFrontDesk, Manager at The Iroquois New York, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2012

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with the Trip Advisor Community. I was disappointed to learn that your recent visit did not exceed your expectations, as we pride ourselves in delivering the utmost service to our guests. Hearing of short comings that could have been avoided on our part is a great help in bettering our service in the future. Please feel free to contact me in the future to handle your booking arrangements, if we have the pleasure of welcoming you back.

Kelli Phillips
Front Office Manager

Reviewed 20 August 2012 via mobile

As this was our first trip to New York, we wanted to be close to the action but still have a quiet place to come back to after a day in the city. After some research, we decided to stay at the Iroquois.

Knowing that hotel rooms are small in Manhattan, we opted to go for a Duluxe king room. As we had booked through a 3rd party, I called the hotel prior to arrival to check everything was fine, which it was!

On arrival we were greeted at the door and were welcomed by all members of staff. Although we arrived slightly early, the room was ready and we could go straight up. The room was clean and tidy and although not huge, was just fine for what we wanted.

Vanessa ( the concierge) and Patrick at the front desk were extremely helpful and offered assistance where possible and would check on our return to the hotel of everything had gone well.

The room was pretty quiet at night given we had a front facing room and the air con kept the room at a comfortable temperature even though it was 95-100 outside sometimes!

Would recommend this hotel to anyone!

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank FlashG82
IroquoisFrontDesk, Front Office Manager at The Iroquois New York, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2012

I'm delighted you choosed us for your first stay in New York and found traveling around the city convenient from our location. Patrick and Vanessa were glad to hear that they were able to make your stay that much more comfortable. We appreciate your feedback and we hope to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 20 August 2012

Loved the Iroquois from it's very NYC decor to it's location and it's wonderful staff. A seven minute walk to Times Square on one side and 5th Avenue on the other, Iroquois could not be better located.

I also loved that it's reasonably priced but maintains a luxury hotel vibe with sparkling clean sheets, bathrooms that are contemporarily designed and a funky but historic elevator.

My only grouse was that the room was a little cramped for the two twin beds that my friend and I had picked but I guess that's NYC for you.

Breakfast was a little expensive so we ended up eating at the Diner next door.

Finally the highlight of my trip was the concierge - Vanessa and Alan who both took a lot of trouble to find out our likes and dislikes and recommend custom made "local" itineraries...all in all a hidden gem that I'm recommending to my friends in the US!

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the street for a NYC view
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends

I'm pleased to hear that you enjoyed your experience at our hotel. Alan and Vanessa are very appreciative of your compliments. We look forward to seeing you again and thank you for sharing your experience!

Reviewed 17 August 2012

I stayed at the Iroquois exactly a year ago (coincidentally) and at the the time was thrilled to have found such a great place with (for New York) reasonable rates. I am happy to report that the love affair continues.

I was greeted upon arrival with a "welcome back" upon giving my name, by the charming and very efficient male receptionist upon check-in. The room I was given (901) felt smaller than the room my partner and I were given the year before but nonetheless it was comfortable as we remembered with all the amenities (complimentary water and chocolates) upon arrival. The wi-fi which is also included in the room rate has good and strong signal and as I was in New York on business, was greatly appreciated.

The New York Times is delivered to the room every day except for Sunday (understandably as it huge and heavy) which is how I discovered the joys of the library in the hotel where one can read it while enjoying a coffee from the complimentary coffee dispenser in the lobby. The library also has two computers for guests to use.

I must say that it's very nice to be greeted warmly by hotel staff whenever they are encountered in the hotel lobby and when one leaves or returns.

The only thing we had forgotten from our previous visit and that can be constituted as a minor criticism was that there are no ice machines on the floors and that you have to call reception to have it delivered which it is usually done very promptly, but not always. There also was no fridge but there was a mini-bar on a sensor tray on top of chest of drawers which looked ridiculous and incongruous. We did find a card that said a fridge was available if required. My partner and I laughed as we reviewed the room, as we wondered where they possibly could put a fridge in a room that was already choc-a-bloc. It would have been a lot better to get rid of the annoying sensor tray altogether with it's vastly over-priced never used contents as I or my partner were always inadvertently knocking the mini-bottles of booze down on it panicking us that we might trigger charges for stuff we didn't have.

Our room was quiet as it didn't face the street.The beds were superbly comfortable, the bathroom spotless,the water pressure and temp control perfect, though the drains in both the shower and the wash-basin took a long time to clear.

All in all another great stay and we shall definitely return.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
IroquoisFrontDesk, Front Office Manager at The Iroquois New York, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2012

Thank you for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor, It is always a pleasure to have guests return to stay with us when they are in the city. I am happy to hear that you still found our hotel to your liking. We do offer rooms that have 2 beds such as the one you were in , with a different layout that offers slighty more room then the other. And I do see the minibar tray in the room was a slight inconvenience, it would have been our upmost pleasure to have the tray removed from the room once requested, we take great pride in fulfilling our guest needs and request. Thank you for staying with us we look forward to seeing you once again!