“Loved It!!!”

Ranked #38 of 467 Hotels in New York City
sacramento
“Loved It!!!”
Reviewed 8 February 2009

We just returned home from a 4 day getaway to New York. This was our first time in New York and we booked a room at the Iroquois hotel not knowing anything about the location or the hotel. We arrived early and figured we would need to store our luggage until check in time, but we were very happy and surprised when we were told our room was available. Our room was clean, comfortable, especially the bed, and a fabulous location. I have to say that the concierge Marga was wonderfully helpful. I feel that i am a very particular traveler and the Iroquois Hotel satisfied all of my needs. We will definitely return.

Stayed February 2009
3 Thank demiSacramento

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (376)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Herefordshire
Reviewed 7 February 2009

We have just returned from a short spell in New York, and I picked the Iroquois Hotel, 49 West 44th St, New York City because it's so central and convenient for mid-town Manhattan. This is a real gem of a hotel - it's small, personal and intimate and I could not rate the friendly service more highly. If you want a personal friendly service and the best breakfast in town (try the hot 'French toast' filled with fluffy cream cheese and served with syrup and fresh strawberries..... absolutely delectable!), then this is the hotel for you. The interior of the lobby is stylish and intimate, and our bedroom with its two deliciously soft and downy double beds and the Molton Brown goodies in the bathroom was comfort itself. A nice personal touch was the little cards left in our room every evening with details of what the weather would be like the next day: very useful if you want to avoid taking the Circle Line harbour tour in driving snow! And the complementary hot, cinnamon-scented 'apple cider' on tap in the lobby when you come in from the cold was a real treat too - we took full advantage of this and enjoyed a chat with the lobby staff over the counter at the same time. They couldn't have been more helpful - they booked our concert at the Carnegie for us, then and there, sorted out our Circle Line and theatre tickets (the '39 Steps' at the Helen Hayes is a joy!), explained the subway system to us, and always remembered to ask how we'd got on the night before with all our ventures. I'd give the Iroquois 10/10. We just loved it!

• Liked — Its friendly staff and central mid-town location.
  • Stayed February 2009, travelled with family
4 Thank Holiday_fun_9
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 5 February 2009

Disappointing three-night stay at a historic, popular, and well-rated hotel I selected to get away from a bustling conference location a short walk uptown. The Iroquois is quite pretty and in an excellent location. The staff was pleasant. Yet, for me, it’s all about the details and no one seems to be setting best practices or minding that existing protocols are followed.

Upon arrival, which unfortunately coincided with the beginning of Superbowl XLIII, I dragged my roller bag up the four steep steps as no doorman was in sight. Naturally, he turned up as I finished my check-in and offered to help me take my bag upstairs in the elevator. I pointed out the irony and he declared that he was the only one on duty that night.

The bedroom looked comfortable, although short on power outlets; but my first observation of the bathroom revealed both hair and stains on the sink – yuck. Attempted to call down to the front desk to request the wifi code and the handset of the cordless phone didn’t work. In the morning, I experienced a clogged tub drain as water pooled to about 3 inches while I showered and I then found that the light on the make-up mirror (a nice touch) was burned out. I reported all but the soiled sink (which I wiped down myself). The phone and tub were fixed by the next day, but not the make-up mirror. On the second morning, a random extra box of hand soap was left atop the minibar, where it remained despite at least a couple more housekeeping visits. Curiously too, housekeeping seemed compelled to turn one set of blinds up and one set down when closing them at the end of each day. And the decorative bolster pillow, which during the day rested atop the bed pillows, was placed on the floor during turndown – again, yuck.

One last note, which is meant only to be factual and not critical: If you need to be able to personally control your HVAC, this is not the place for you. The system is set to heat during the cold months and despite setting the thermostat to 68 degrees, the room temp nonetheless hovered at around 73, a little to warm to be under a down comforter on even most winter nights. Windows of my 11th floor room of course were bolted shut according to fire code requirements. I may have been the only one in the city to appreciate the snow and temperature drop!

• Stayed February 2009, travelled on business
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 3 February 2009

Stayed at the Iroquois for 4 nights on a sightseeing / shopping trip to New York. First impressions were great - very efficient check in, nice staff, well finished room, lovely comfy beds, bath robes and Molton Brown toiletries. We spent our first night on the 11th floor but had problems with a broken thermostat (which left the room severely over heated) and noise from some sort of fan or vent outside our window (imagine an extractor fan full on over your head all day and night!). We were moved to the 4th floor the following morning with minimal fuss, which solved the temperature problem but unfortunately, not the noise. Everthing else about the hotel was perfect, including the location (on a relatively quiet street but just a short walk from Times Square) and the staff were really nice, but unfortunately everthing was overshadowed by the noise. Could only recommend if you could be guaranteed a room in a different part of the hotel.

• Liked — The bed!
  • Disliked — The noise!
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank TwoOfADifferentKind
mexico df
Reviewed 30 January 2009

Since lot of year I'm staying at the Iroquois, as my buisness trip rest place...You fell at your own home and it's just as small to have intimity and as big to have all the comodities.
For me the best! For me the best place to stay, breakfast is perfect! and as a single traveler I feel safe here!

• Liked — the home filling
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled on business
5 Thank quien
San Luis Obispo, California
Reviewed 28 January 2009

We love the location of this hotel and have stayed in several others in the same vicinity. If you are going to Broadway shows this is the perfect place to be because it's very close by but not in the Times Square hustle bustle.
The hotel itself has a pleasant, clubby feel and is much more traditional in decor than most of the other similar type NYC hotels I've seen. The lobby is fairly small and there's a separate room off it called the library where there's some seating and a computer guests may use free of charge. There is also an adjacent bar and restaurant. We did not eat in the restaurant but did have drinks in the bar a couple of times and it was fine.
We got a very good rate($180) through one of the booking sites so we were fairly happy with the place. If I'd been paying $300 or more per night we might have been a little disappointed. Our room was on the back side of the building and was very quiet. We were not far from one of the elevators but I was never bothered by noise. Our room was pretty tiny which is certainly not unusual in NYC. It did have a "real" closet which was a plus. The room consisted of a small desk and chair, a bed, a mini-bar and a small chest of drawers. The bed was comfortable and the bed linens were very nice. The bathroom was small but not uncomfortable. The toiletries were Moulton and Brown which are good.
We were there for 4 nights but I had very little contact with the staff so I can't really give an opinion on service. There was usually a doorman there to open one of the doors and one of them helped us with our luggage and getting a cab upon departure. The front desk people were fine at check-in and check-out.
Would I stay there again? Certainly if the rate was good.

• Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank sgbslo
San Diego
Reviewed 24 January 2009

We got a rate of under $200 for this hotel. So based on that price I would give it 3 stars. If I had paid more I would have been unhappy. The hotel is in a good location. It is safe. The rooms are small but it's New York City.

The negatives-
The rooms are insanely dark! Which makes getting ready for two people quite a challenge b/c you are restricted to the bathroom mirror. So the other person cannot be in the bathroom at the same time.
The concierge seems to be bothered when asked questions and usually wrong with the best way to get to places and incorrect subway stops.
They are very slow with responding to requests. We waited 40 minutes for a roll of toilet paper.
The bed is positioned about 18 inches from the hallway wall and it runs along the wall so you feel is if you are sleeping in the hallway when people are walking/talking thru the hall. It is really annoying.
Don't take the hummer that is parked outside of the hotel (he is not affiliated with the hotel) he is 3x the rate of a taxi. Plus if you did take him once he will hound you the rest of the trip and he seriousily is parked outside the hotel all day and all night trying to get money (which he has to make a living but it is very irritating)

The hotel is in a great location and it is clean and comfortable for under $200 or even $300 I would maybe be ok with it. Anymore than that and I feel you would be very disappointed.

• Liked — the location
  • Disliked — the room
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled on business