“Very Nice Not Amazing”

The Iroquois New York
Ranked #42 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 28 June 2009

I stayed here with my 2 children for 4 nights. We booked it for the great price and the location. The hotel is very small. It has a small lobby, sitting area and small restaurant. The staff was very pleasant and helpful. When we checked in they gave us an option of 2 rooms the first one was the one I booked and it was extremely small!! The second one was the room we upgraded. It was an additional $100 per night. It was a one bedroom suite and far superior. Since this was originally an old hotel the bathrooms are very small. My major complaint was that they turned off the a/c overnight. Even though there was a thermostat in the room it wasn't working and it was controlled by the front desk. We like to sleep in a cool room so each night I had to call the front desk to remind them to turn on the a/c. They were very nice and had no qualms but we could not adjust it according to our liking.
The had Molton Brown bath products, Frette robes and linens and complimentary water. They had turn down service each night and did a nice job cleaning the room.
Other then that the hotel was very nice. Great price and nice employees.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family

Reviewed 22 June 2009

The staff were very friendly at the hotel. Our room was small but very comfortable and super quiet. We had no street noise at all. This is a great location for site seeing and getting around the city. Don't pack a lot of stuff because the closet is ridiculously small. We didn't eat at the hotel but maybe next time.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with friends
2  Thank mmtSaltLakeCity
Reviewed 9 June 2009

Nice hotel with a friendly staff. We grabbed a last minute package to nyc. The rate was great, but now I know why. They put my wife and I (I'm 6'2") in the smallest room I've ever stayed in. It could only fit a double bed, which was way too small for me. It was about 225 sq. ft.. This room may suffice for a small single traveller, but not 2 people. They should never have given us a room like this. If we had a nicer/larger room, we might have like the hotel a lot more.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Rochester_NYTrunkman
Reviewed 4 June 2009

We went to New York in February for a week and after much research we decided on the Iroquois mainly due to the reviews on here and also the great rate on hotels.com.

LOCATION
Perfect. Couldn't have asked for anything better, 1.5 blocks from Times Square, literally a 5 minute walk. A lovely street just far enough away from the hustle and bustle.
The Red Flame diner is a few doors down and like many have said in reviews it really is the best diner for breakfast. We went there most mornings before we set off for our day.

HOTEL
Free internet access in the reception which we never had to que for. Recepetion were helpful and helped with any requests we had. Always said good morning etc.
Our room was small but we were expecting this as everyone says it, small really is small!
There was no view, unless you love walls! on our first morning we walked past an open room that was being cleaned and looked much bigger and brighter so we asked the maid if we could move! Recpetion said it was no problem and would be a little extra for the week, we were happy to pay this, we moved everything over and were much happier.
The size of the room really isn't important as you are up and out so early and back late it really is just somewhere to sleep. The toiletries were lovely, molton brown and were replenished daily as were towels.

We had no complaints.

Getting around.
New York is so easy to get around, we were so surprised. We had booked a tour with Real New York Tours thinking we'd never find anything but this tour wasn't until our 3rd day. To our surprise in our first couple of days we'd done miles and found it so easy we were worried we'd wasted money on a tour.

Tours
For people thinking of booking Real New Tours or one similar my advice is to book this at the beginning of your stay ie day 1 or 2. Any later and i don't think it's worth the money.
Ours was a half day and yes it was really interesting and the guide was lovely but we could have done it on our own in hindsight. She did take us to Harlem which we wouldn't have done on our own and took me to Carrie's house :0 ) which again, i wouldn't have found on my own! Just book it for your first days there.

Things to do.

1.WTC Museum Workshop
Go. Worth every penny. Extremely moving. Would highly recommend. 12/10
2.Ellis island
Really enjoyed, more than we thought actually. Don't do the statue of liberty as a seperate trip unless you really want to get off and climb it, the boat to Ellis stops to let people off at Liberty Island so you get a really good look and plenty of photo opps. The boat goes right round too so in my opinion not worth the extra ££
3.Empire State
Worth doing, wanted to do it to say we'd done it, view was well worth the que!
4.Chelsea Market
Really liked it hear, smaller than i thought it was. Stop for chinese, lovely.
5.Grenwich Village
Loved walking about here. Friends building, SATC Carrie's house and of course Magnolia bakery-stop for a cupcake or 2, there lovely.

Had an amazing time and will definatley be back! x

Broadway
We went to see Mary Poppins and it was out of this world. Go and see it you'll love it! We're in our 30's and sat grinning like cheshire cats on the 1st row! Brilliant.
i booked tickets through www.broadwaybox.com and good a good price and got front seats even though it was only 2 weeks before the show.

Eating
Red Flame for breakfasts
John's for pizza.......best pizza ever!
Serendipidy's....we went twice, my b/f loved it! Advice is to book a table as there's always que's outside the door for up to 1hr, we went booked and then went to Macy's did a bit of shopping and went back.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
5  Thank zipy77
Reviewed 3 June 2009

I've just got back from my stay at The Iroquois and felt compelled to give it a review.

I really liked this hotel. I thought the staff were great (unlike the previous reviewer). I get fed up of that fake "have a nice day" stuff that (some of) our North American friends like so much and I thought the staff here had the balance just right... Not too overfriendly and very helpful when required (I would particularly like to mention the barman Casey).

While the rooms were a little on the small size and my room didn't have much of a view, the bed was fantastic and the bathroom clean. There's free WIFI in every room, an iPod dock, big TV, as well as all the usual stuff (iron/ mini bar/ umbrella/ safe). What else do you want from a hotel room?

The location is great for all the usual sightseeing stuff, (I'm not a huge fan of Midtown) and my step mother, who was visiting NYC for the first time, was equally impressed with The Iroquois.

My only negative point was that the bar shut rather early (around 11pm) on the Saturday night and is closed all day Sunday.

My step mother's (and my) holiday was enhanced by my choosing this hotel. That is recommendation enough for me.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family
5  Thank Badbob1979
Reviewed 1 June 2009

The hotel is located in Midtown Manhattan on 44th Street between 5th and 6th Avenues. It is only about two blocks from the small, but beautiful Bryant Park. The taxi ride from JFK is a flat $45 plus $5 toll and tip. It is a relatively small hotel sharing a narrow street with the Sofitel and another hotels as well as a diner and a few restaurants, including the Triomphe which is the hotel's restaurant and where room service comes from.

I cannot comment on the food because I did not eat any of it. However, the Triomphe was rated high by Zagat (average of about 23 or so). The Internet worked intermittently, but no different from anywhere else in the USA.

The staff were uncaring and barely helpful. Also, when the doorman opened the door for us I overheard him saying to another staff member, "You know Jose only made $20 in tips?" That is just not classy. At night, there was no staff at the desk or no doorman, so security is a bit of a concern. There was a video camera installed in the elevator, but I think people can use the staircase from the first floor. The guy who was there at night was not very friendly or even really tried to be helpful. The concierge was only seen a few times during the day.

The deluxe room was very nice with an old New York feel to it. However, it was a bit cramped New York-style, too. When you go use the toilet and leave the door open, for example, you have to pee sideways because the door blocks your way. Also, the shower/bathtub is an older type in which you need to pull all the way to get proper water pressure and then push a metal stick to have the water come out of the showerhead. The bathroom amenities were alright though. Our rooms faced the courtyard which had a noisy airconditioning system or some kind of machine that hummed loudly all day. The lobby is like a mix between a classic New York pub and someone's living room (there is a den with computer).

The price of the hotel jumped up to double when we tried to add extra nights. So I think we got a very good deal. The manager was helpful and negotiated a lower rate for us which was nice of her.

SUMMARY: This is a four star hotel in quality of the rooms, but I think the service could be much better. It was really lacking when we were there and so I want to give this hotel three and a half stars overall. I would stay somewhere else before choosing the Iroquois Hotel again.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled on business
2  Thank Westinhan
Reviewed 22 May 2009

First time to New York--would definitely recommend the Iroquois--outstanding location near Times Square but far enough from the noise--room was quite small, which is typical for NYC from what we've heard--comfy beds--wonderful shower--pleasant staff--all made for an outstanding trip and anniversary celebration!
Would highly recommend O'Lunney's Pub, Cranberries, Cafe Europa, and Kellaria Taverna. Would not recommend the double decker bus tour.
All in all, an amazing trip! Can't wait to return!

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple