“Mediocre hotel at best”

Ranked #39 of 467 Hotels in New York City
portland, OR
“Mediocre hotel at best”
Reviewed 8 October 2009

We recently stayed here for part of our honeymoon. We found the rooms to be typical of any NYC hotel...cramped. Previous posts had suggested a recent renovation but the property appeared dated and worn. Worse, was the smell of the smoke that permated our room. An initial complaint resulted in the staff offering to spray our room to cover up the scent. We insisted on a room change that occurred promptly but still had a musty odor. Turndown service happened even though we had a "Do Not Disturb" on. In the end, I was happy to leave.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
scottgeres, General Manager at The Iroquois New York, responded to this review, 9 October 2009
I apologize that your most recent stay at my hotel was so disappointing, especially during part of your honeymoon. Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel so I can share your thoughts with my staff so we can improve. The Iroquois Hotel did receive a full renovation in all of our guest rooms in 2007 following with our suites and lobby in 2008. We would love for you to continue to stay with us, please feel free to contact me at 212-453-4008 (Scott) or sgeres@iroquoisny.com if I can be of any assistance to you.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (385)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
North Carolina
Reviewed 5 October 2009

I chose this hotel for my first weekend in Manhatten for my wife's birthday. I had read the
previous reviews, especially from those who go back for additional visits. Count me now as one of those.
The location is perfect in midtown Manhatten, just two blocks from Times Square, and within six blocks of most theatres, many fine restaurants, including its own Triomphe, and shopping.
It is a small boutique type property, with all the amenities one needs for a quiet, restful
stay. Excellent service, and small, but very comfortble, well appointed rooms.
The Triomphe restaurant was an unexpected surprise, and we had a delicious six-course tasting menu served at our table in the bar, where the atmosphere was more
casual.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank LDWaxhaw
IroquoisFrontDesk, Caroline Lakin, Front Desk Manager at The Iroquois New York, responded to this review, 7 October 2009
Thank you for the review. Our loyal guests who have returned to our property many times are incredibly special to us. I'm glad to hear we'll be receiving one more...
Looking forward to welcoming you back!
-Caroline Lakin
CO
Reviewed 5 October 2009

...perhaps this is what you get in the way of luxury for NYC, but I suggest spending your money elsewhere...

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
I apologize that your most recent stay at my hotel was so disappointing. We would love for you to continue to stay with us and give us another opportunity. Please feel free to contact me directly at 212-453-4008 (Scott) or sgeres@iroquoisny.com if I can be of any assistance to you.
Baltimore, MD
Reviewed 4 October 2009

My husband and I enjoyed a long overdue weekend away in NYC in early fall 2009. We found the Iroquois to be a romantic, elegant, convenient hotel with excellent service and a fabulous concierge. The Iroquois' concierge, Nick, was knowledgeable and resourceful with impeccable taste, without seeming pretentious. When we found ourselves without dinner reservations for Saturday night, Nick asked a few questions about our tastes (we're foodies) and the type of night we were looking to have (romantic) and quickly recommended Oceana on 49th & 6th. Nick confirmed a reservation for us on the spot and had a reminder card with restaurant details sent to our room. Oceana was the perfect choice for us (separate review under Restaurants to come). With Nick's help, we had a wonderful dining experience. I would highly recommend the Iroquois for a weekend getaway, and may you be fortunate to find Nick at the helm during your visit.

2 Thank kathysbarnett
Katonah, New York
Reviewed 2 October 2009

Stayed overnight. Room was small but well appointed. Bed was extremely comfortable.
Small hotel with all amenities you need. i.e. fitness center, restaurant. Located on great street in NYC. and within walking distance of many sights yet far enough away from the crowds and noise.

2 Thank claudiaB1
Spain
Reviewed 26 September 2009

We spent six nights at the Iroquois and would have no hesitation in recommending it to anyone.
As arranged a car was there to meet us at Newark Airport even although our flight was delayed. All members of staff we encountered during our stay were professional and helpful. Our (superior) room was well appointed and most comfortable. We enjoyed dining in Triomphe - a high standard of cuisine and a high level of service.
To top it all, the location is ideal for visitors to New York.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Inmigrante
IroquoisFrontDesk, Front Desk Manager at The Iroquois New York, responded to this review, 4 October 2009
I appreciate the feedback from your most recent visit. It is wonderful to know you had a great stay with us and enjoyed our restaurant Triomphe as well. We hope to welcome you back soon.
New York City
Reviewed 24 September 2009

The staff was terrific very helpfull, great location, comfortable clean room and inviting lobby. A real gem!!

2 Thank RalphBP
Thank you for your review. I'm very glad we were able to assist you during your stay, and you enjoyed your time here.