“Little bit of luxury in the midst of Manhattan”

The Iroquois New York
Ranked #37 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Shoreline
“Little bit of luxury in the midst of Manhattan”
Reviewed 9 October 2009

We stayed at the Iroquois in March of 2009. It was the perfect location for us, being close to Times Square but tucked away from the crowd. Our little window "view" was of the brick back side and the next building behind it but it was very quiet. The staff was accommodating and kind. Though we never did have "bathrobes and slippers" as was advertised. However, it was hardly necessary since we were out and about most of the day, not lounging around the room.

The complimentary computer with internet (down in the library) came in handy for checking email and booking some last minute tickets for the Statue.

The furnishings were very nice - love those sheets - and my bedtime chocolate left with the turn-down bed service. The room was small but the bathroom was good sized and nicely appointed. In the standard room that we had there is only the bed for a sitting area with the exception of a desk chair. But since we spent very little time in the room and had done a lot of walking, the bed was a welcome lounge chair! Flat screen tv was nice, NYTimes in the morning at your door...the little fridge would have been nicer had there been room to store a few of our own things vs. just the drinks you had to pay (a lot) for. We drank the "free" sparkling water left for us and bought drinks and snacks down at the local drugstore in Times Square to bring back to the hotel.

My only disappointment was the cost of the breakfast for what I got. My husband fared better with his choice (the French Toast I think - but still a small amount for what you paid for). If you are going to eat at their restaurant for breakfast, the food is good, but go for the "breakfast bar". Don't go for the crepes. Far too drenched in syrup and nothing else with it - I think the berries had been frozen - I was not impressed. Not much to go on for the day. The coffee was good. A great little diner just down the street (on the way to Times Square) was very "New York" and had great All American food at a very reasonable price. Sorry I can't remember the name of it. One thing is for sure, there is plenty of food in NY - sure glad I was able to walk all over the city to burn off the calories!

Overall, we enjoyed our stay at this fine hotel. We probably would not have been able to afford staying there without the good rate we had through our Entertainment Book. It was a bit of luxury that we do not often get to treat ourselves to.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DebnKurt

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (385)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Acton MA
Reviewed 8 October 2009

My 3rd trip to the Iroquois - and it's always a pleasure. The lobby was recently redone and is sophisticated without being pretentious. The room was a good size and nicely appointed. And the staff couldn't do enough to please us. All in all, recommended - particularly for those who appreciate a small European type hotel and ambiance.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with friends
2 Thank CityGirl1214
portland, OR
Reviewed 8 October 2009

We recently stayed here for part of our honeymoon. We found the rooms to be typical of any NYC hotel...cramped. Previous posts had suggested a recent renovation but the property appeared dated and worn. Worse, was the smell of the smoke that permated our room. An initial complaint resulted in the staff offering to spray our room to cover up the scent. We insisted on a room change that occurred promptly but still had a musty odor. Turndown service happened even though we had a "Do Not Disturb" on. In the end, I was happy to leave.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
scottgeres, General Manager at The Iroquois New York, responded to this review, 9 October 2009
I apologize that your most recent stay at my hotel was so disappointing, especially during part of your honeymoon. Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel so I can share your thoughts with my staff so we can improve. The Iroquois Hotel did receive a full renovation in all of our guest rooms in 2007 following with our suites and lobby in 2008. We would love for you to continue to stay with us, please feel free to contact me at 212-453-4008 (Scott) or sgeres@iroquoisny.com if I can be of any assistance to you.
North Carolina
Reviewed 5 October 2009

I chose this hotel for my first weekend in Manhatten for my wife's birthday. I had read the
previous reviews, especially from those who go back for additional visits. Count me now as one of those.
The location is perfect in midtown Manhatten, just two blocks from Times Square, and within six blocks of most theatres, many fine restaurants, including its own Triomphe, and shopping.
It is a small boutique type property, with all the amenities one needs for a quiet, restful
stay. Excellent service, and small, but very comfortble, well appointed rooms.
The Triomphe restaurant was an unexpected surprise, and we had a delicious six-course tasting menu served at our table in the bar, where the atmosphere was more
casual.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank LDWaxhaw
IroquoisFrontDesk, Caroline Lakin, Front Desk Manager at The Iroquois New York, responded to this review, 7 October 2009
Thank you for the review. Our loyal guests who have returned to our property many times are incredibly special to us. I'm glad to hear we'll be receiving one more...
Looking forward to welcoming you back!
-Caroline Lakin
CO
Reviewed 5 October 2009

...perhaps this is what you get in the way of luxury for NYC, but I suggest spending your money elsewhere...

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
I apologize that your most recent stay at my hotel was so disappointing. We would love for you to continue to stay with us and give us another opportunity. Please feel free to contact me directly at 212-453-4008 (Scott) or sgeres@iroquoisny.com if I can be of any assistance to you.
Baltimore, MD
Reviewed 4 October 2009

My husband and I enjoyed a long overdue weekend away in NYC in early fall 2009. We found the Iroquois to be a romantic, elegant, convenient hotel with excellent service and a fabulous concierge. The Iroquois' concierge, Nick, was knowledgeable and resourceful with impeccable taste, without seeming pretentious. When we found ourselves without dinner reservations for Saturday night, Nick asked a few questions about our tastes (we're foodies) and the type of night we were looking to have (romantic) and quickly recommended Oceana on 49th & 6th. Nick confirmed a reservation for us on the spot and had a reminder card with restaurant details sent to our room. Oceana was the perfect choice for us (separate review under Restaurants to come). With Nick's help, we had a wonderful dining experience. I would highly recommend the Iroquois for a weekend getaway, and may you be fortunate to find Nick at the helm during your visit.

2 Thank kathysbarnett
Katonah, New York
Reviewed 2 October 2009

Stayed overnight. Room was small but well appointed. Bed was extremely comfortable.
Small hotel with all amenities you need. i.e. fitness center, restaurant. Located on great street in NYC. and within walking distance of many sights yet far enough away from the crowds and noise.

2 Thank claudiaB1