“Wonderful”

The Iroquois New York
Ranked #45 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 22 December 2009

I stayed here for 3 days in December as a solo traveller, my trip was primarily shopping and site seeing.

The Iroquois is a small luxury hotel which is privately owned conveniently located for Times Square and the shopping in 5th Avenue. I was impressed by the location between 5th and 6th Avenues since you don't feel like you are entering a bussling environment the moment you step out of the hotel. It is very close but has that classy distance so you feel like you are staying in NY but aren't actually in NY.

The residents of the hotel tend to be well heeled and well dressed who have travelled to NY a few times before and would like to see Broadway Shows and stroll down 5th Avenue. There aren't that many jeans and sneakers residents, saying that it is not at all pretention but you can tell people sneaking a look at your shoes when they see you in the elevator.

The hotel is a favourite for single travellers, especially female since it has a safe feel about it and thankfully no business travellers. Check-in for me was very smooth and the room although small was not small by NY standards.

I took great pleasure in seeing the reassuring Molton Brown products which were generously replenished daily. There are robes and towels and interestingly a dvd player, you can get dvds from reception free of charge which is a nice touch.

There was a little office table in my room and no problem with the free wireless, the free wireless was an important freebie for me. For those not bringing their own laptop there are two terminals in the downstairs library area, there was not a queue for the terminals and owing to the class of people here they were just on and off the machines. Beds were comfortable, no problem sleeping.

The reception area has free coffee till about 10am and then hot apple cider which was wonderful. I didn't personally use the restaurant here but I suspect it was good quality.

Staff are very friendly but give you your space and are always willing to look into for example opening hours for a shop for you. There is also a dedicated concierge.

For me this place was perfect, had I been travelling on business I may have preferred a place like the London NYC for the simple fact that it has an impressive entrance and obvious space for coffee and meetings. However, this is a different animal completely and caters for people who are not travelling with an expenses budget.

As for issues, the only issue I can see is only having 2 elevators, not a problem if you are on the lower floors since there is a staircase and I can't say this proved an problem for me.

Overall I would recommend this hotel to you should you wish to spend a few days in a charming little hotel!

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled solo
4  Thank avelautham

Reviewed 15 December 2009

I have just returned from a week at the Iroquois and I cannot say enough good things about the hotel and the staff. Quality, quality, quality - caring, polite and professional. These are the words that best describe the staff at the hotel. From Catering to Reservations, the Front Desk, the Manager and Chef Zobel at the Triomphe restaurant in the hotel - you guys are the absolute best - my home away from home!! See you all in 2010!!!! A definite 2 thumbs up!! Kathie Taylor

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank tennantkatihe
IroquoisFrontDesk, Front Desk Manager at The Iroquois New York, responded to this reviewResponded 21 December 2009

Thank you for your very kind words Ms. Taylor! I have enjoyed assisting you, your colleagues, and your family throughout the years, and it is always a pleasure to have you as one of our guest.

Happy Holidays to you and your family.
-Caroline Lakin

Reviewed 9 December 2009

My husband and i have just returned from a wonderful 5 nights in NYC. We booked into the Iroquois after our inital hotel got some very bad reviews!! On arrival at this hidden gem we were treated like royalty. The hotel is a member of the small leading hotels of the world group so you know that the standards are high already. New york was our delayed honeymoon so the hotel upgraded us to a much larger room with a huge bathroom! The complimentary wine and water was a lovely touch as were the chocolates placed on our pillow at turndown every night. The Frette linens, bathrobes and slippers were lovely and the huge bed was like sleeping on a cloud! Our shoes were shone every night if required and the new york times newspaper was delivered to the door every morning. The great free coffee every morning was just the thing to start us off before exploring the city. Our room was quiet ,spacious and extremely clean and luxurious. The molton brown toiletries were a hit. The staff were amazing and couldn't do enough for us. 'Antonio' was fabulous. The hotel restaurant 'Triomphe' is one of the best places to dine in NYC and we had a great meal there. This little boutique hotel is a gem and we tried to find fault with it and couldn't. The location is the best and we can't wait to go back next year!

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jayneyjames
Reviewed 8 December 2009

I took a group of 14 ladies to New York for a four day shopping trip. I have done this same trip over the last eight years. This was our first time to stay at the Iroquois New York. The hotel is a wonderful place to stay. I worked with Lauren in group sales prior to our visit and she was so helpful with all the pre-departure arrangements. I also worked with Angelic both prior to and during our stay to arrange transportation, tickets etc. and she was so nice and helpful. The hotel is located well within walking distance to Times Square, Rockefellow Center, many theaters and restaurants and shopping. The hotel is beautiful, the rooms are clean and comfortable and the entire staff is amazing. I would definately recommend this hotel and I will definately stay there again.

Mary
Security Bank, Dyersburg, Tennessee

• Stayed: December 2009
1  Thank banker1209
Reviewed 7 December 2009

Stayed at the hotel before. Love its centrally located Times Square location. (Gossip Girl was taping at the hotel and we got to experience some of that action!) Now more about the hotel. Upscale, European/boutique, meticulous and top notch service from the concierge (Nick) and the doorman (Bill). When Bill realized it was my mom's birthday, he sent a bottle of wine to the room. How sweet. The hotel's restaurant, Triomphe, was just that. Enjoyed a fabulous martini, glass of wine and the scallops appetizer (while waiting for my mom to arrive from the airport). Our room was 2 queens. Love the leather headboards and all of the furnishings. Marble and brass bath. All of this...for an extremely reasonable $300+/night. Personable service. I will definitely stay here again!! Thanks Iroquois!

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled with friends
3  Thank Foodiez
Reviewed 23 November 2009

I came in for business in the Theater District but was reluctant to stay near Times Square as the tourist scene there makes me nuts. But my travel agent recommended The Iroquois and I'm delighted that she did. It's a classy, calm, good-looking hotel with terrific service -- not too stuffy, not too hip, just right. The room was lovely -- delicious bed linens and a Rothko print on the wall. The location is terrific if you need to be mid-town -- it's just far enough east of Times Square to be out of the madness but close enough for an easy walk.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled on business
3  Thank Janelaloca
IroquoisFrontDesk, Front Desk Manager at The Iroquois New York, responded to this reviewResponded 6 December 2009

Thank you for taking the time to review your most recent stay with us. We are glad you had a relaxing stay here, and we'll look forward to welcoming you back to Midtown on your next trip!

Reviewed 23 November 2009

Enjoyed 3 nights at the Iroquois.

Comfortable rooms, high thread count sheets, plush towels and quality soaps.

Pleasant service at the front desk, friendly staff, and a Belgian chocolate each night before bed.

The Classic room with 2 doubles is quite spacious, and nicely decorated.

No view from our window, but the room was extremely comfortable.

Only minor complaint is that fresh face cloths were not left each morning (although fresh hand towels and bath towels were), and the free coffee in the lobby was burnt tasting by 11:30 a.m.. Gratis hot apple cider in the afternoon is a nice treat in the fall.

Currently my favourite place to stay in midtown.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled with friends