“ok hotel”

The Iroquois New York
Ranked #37 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 6 April 2010

My wife and I have been to New York several times before, and every time we try a new place to stay. This time we went for the Iroquois, because of the excellent location and because we've stayed at some hotels of the Small Luxury Hotels Of The World before and they were always quite nice.
Unfortunately I think the Iroquois is not quite up to those standards. The room was ok, maybe bit small, but hey it's NY. What put me off most of all was the dust on the mirror lamp in the bathroom, it seemed like it wasn't cleaned for at least a few months. They did clean it after I mentioned it, but still...
Another thing I didn't like was the lack of doormen, most of the time there was nobody there. Nobody really showed any interest which would have been nice when we arrived with our cases.
Oh and the elevators are slow and often busy.
On the plus side, we had a nice dutch girl at reception who treated us really nice.
The location is really good and the bed was good and free WIFI, which is a very good plus I think.
All in all, it was a bit disapointing. Too bad for what could be a very nice hotel.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
IroquoisFrontDesk, Front Desk Manager at The Iroquois New York, responded to this reviewResponded 20 April 2010

Thank you very much for your feedback which provides us the opportunity to improve our service. If you would ever be so kind as to give us another chance and stay at our property again, I assure you we would do all possible to improve your "ok" description. Do not hesitate contacting me at the hotel, and I would be happy to personally make the reservation. Thank you again.
-Caroline Lakin

There are newer reviews for The Iroquois New York

Reviewed 2 April 2010

We stayed here for 5 nights in a one bedroom suite on the 5th floor. We chose The Iroquois because of its position and the reviews said the beds were comfortable, very important to me! Well our king size bed did not dissapoint, 6'6'' wide, loads of pillows, top quality bed linen, and REALLY comfortable, the manager told us the beds had a 15 year guarantee and were currently 3 years old. Our suite consisted of a lounge with corner sofa, desk, occasional chairs, coffee tables, lamps, fridge, flat screen TV on a chest. The furnishing was traditional with modern accents, all in excellent condition and very spacious. There was a door leading to an equally spacious bedroom with huge bed, chaise lounge, flat screen TV on a chest of drawers, built in cupboard, lamps etc everything you could want and all very tasteful. The bathroom was quite small and contained a short but very deep jaccuzi type bath, seperate large shower cubicle with an oh so powerful shower, basin and WC. The taps were gold coloured ( not my taste) but the floor and walls were a neutral marble and very attractive. We had 4 phones in the suite. My daughter joined us for a 3 nights and slept well on the sofa which converted into a 5' double bed. Nothing was too much trouble for the staff, who greeted us warmly and seemed genuinely interested in making sure our stay did not dissapoint. The free wireless internet worked well, and there was a computer and printer for guests free use in the Library. We had the continental breakfast which was included in our rate and again it was all we could have wanted. The position close to Times Square but on a quiet side street is brilliant, with loads of bars and resturants really close by. The Iroquis was never tatty, there was no chipped paint, grubby fabrics, or stained rugs, it was really well cared for and we loved it. The manager told us he had been there 8 years and perhaps this is the key, he loves the place and that filters through to everyone. It's a GREAT little luxury hotel and we would definitely recommend it

3  Thank sandyCornwall
Reviewed 1 April 2010

Had to unexpectedly stay 2 nights in NYC and got a classic room at the Iroquois. From the moment we arrived we were warmly greeted, given excellent dining tips and generally made to feel at home. Our room was very comfortable, flat screen tv, dvd player and a choice to movies to borrow at reception. The marble bathroom with molton brown products was compact but had plenty of fluffy towels and a great shower. Great midtown location, very near Times Square and just off 5th Ave. Very nice, clean diner a few doors away called the Red Flame which did very good breakfasts, all in all I would definetly stay here again.

2  Thank ingrid45
Reviewed 30 March 2010

I recently stayed at the Iroquois for a girl’s trip with my sister. The price was competitive to other hotels in New York and it was located close to the Museum of Modern Art, which was our ultimate destination. The check in process was easy and the staff at the front desk was very friendly considering I was checking in at 12:35AM. We had probably the most basic room they offer with double beds, but it still had the most comfortable beds and bedding. We did get the complimentary turn down chocolates and a complimentary bottle of water. The room was spacious enough and it was a great home base for the weekend. The hotel was easy walking distance to the things we wanted to see, so the location was perfect. The best part of the trip was the concierge Nick. We had set out a very specific schedule of museum visits and plays and Nick was able to make reservations at great restaurants near each attraction. We had some of the best meals ever this time to New York and I know it is all because of Nick. A great meal is the culmination of a great day and Nick was able to deliver that. I will definitely stay at this hotel the next time I go to New York and would recommend it to others.

• Stayed: March 2010
2  Thank sabinetx
Reviewed 27 March 2010

A true beauty in the heart of a bustling metropolis. The Iroquois is truly a rare, boutique hotel, with exquisite touches, service and amenities.

My friend and I stayed for 4 nights - we arrived on St. Patrick's Day. Even though we arrived early in the morning, the very friendly gentleman at the front desk allowed us to check-in immediately. Our room was on the top floor, tucked away in the back, so street noise was very minimal...yet the open windows provided lots of fresh air and natural light. Nightly turndown service was such a treat!

The room - without a doubt, every detail was well thought through. The crisp sheets, coomfy mattress, luxurious robes, doorbell (we were so impressed we pressed it many times) - and the Molton Brown toiletties absolutely spa quality.

The service - every staff member was very friendly and extremely helpful. Even when I came back from my run each afternoon (and looked like I didn't belong in such a fine hotel), the doorman, front desk personnel, all greeted me with warm, friendly smiles.

The price - being from Canada, we were fortunate that the Canadian dollar has been relatively strong of late. The price we paid was comparable to a 3-star hotel in midtown Manhattan. It may have been we booked relatively early...but throughout our research on hotels, the Iroquois provided the best deal - and given the luxurious, high quality of this hotel, I say we got an amazing deal.

Without any hesitation, I would recommend this hotel to all my family and friends. I was a bit concerned with the location, being so close to Broadway...but the street (W 44th) was relatively quiet and we slept through each night without any noise disturbances.

Thank you to the Iroquios staff for such an amazing stay.

Ronald...Vancouver, Canada.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with friends
4  Thank Rwongcga
IroquoisFrontDesk, Front Desk Manager at The Iroquois New York, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2010

Dear Ronald,

Thank you for your detailed review of our hotel. Its so nice to hear that the small details of our guestrooms and consistant service of our staff does not go unnoticed. We're happy you enjoyed your stay with us, and thank you again.
Caroline Lakin
Front Desk Manager

Reviewed 26 March 2010

Wonderful charming hotel. The location is perfect. Walking distance from such numerous highlights in New York City - Grand Central, TImes Square, Empire State Building, Rockefeller Center, Bryant Park, New York Public Library, just to name a few... But should your prefer to use the subway, you have both the Bryant Park/42 street station and the Grand Central station that give access to some of the main lines. And if you're a walking addict as we are, you can reach most of downtown and midtown Manhattan by foot! The staff was all to friendly starting from the Front Desk through the Concierge, the Porters and the Room Maids. If you're fan of those undifferentiated rooms that one can find in those big hotel chains, then this hotel isn't for you. But if you're looking for a place you can call "Home away from Home", then this hotel is definitely it! We've heard of it in the web site of "Small Luxury Hotels of The World" (www.shl.com) and it met all our expectations! Would recommend it for sure and hope to return to it soon!

1  Thank fmpbook

Our Iroquois Staff is very proud to be a "Small Luxury Hotel" and we work hard to maintain this status year after year. I'm happy your expectations were met, and I hope to welcome you back in the near future.
Thank you.
Caroline Lakin
Front Desk Manager

Reviewed 26 March 2010

A trip to New York was my birthday present and this hotel was very a great choice for a city trip. The staff was very friendly and helped out with questions when they could (especially Nick the Congierge was a big help). The room was clean and tidy, not too big but then we didnt plan to stay in the room much except to sleep. We had booked the standard room with 2 double beds which is also suitable for couple (just use one bed as it's big enough for English standards). All facilities were working, and turn down service (with chocolate!) was much appreciated. The location is superb, between 5th and 6th avenue and close to Times Square. Extremely touristic but with good access to all sightseeing points. There is a restaurant next door but it was a little noisy and you needed a reservation so we did not eat here. The bar is nice though but closed on Sundays. There is a business centre where you can use the internet for free (they have 2 computers) and wi-fi in the room is also available at no charge. There is also a fitness centre but I didnt try this so I cant comment on that. We had room 408 on the very end, and the view was awful but then the building is in the middle of the street so unless you're on the top floor, the view would have been of other buildings anyway. The only thing that was a little annoying was that there was some sort of fan or airconditioning outside the window (not sure if this belonged to the hotel or the adjacent building) which was a little noisy at night. Nothing that was majorly disturbing but the bathroom was quieter than the bedroom at times. The room was a little pricey but as I booked through booking.com it was still acceptable for a room in Manhattan at that location. All in all I am very pleased I chose this hotel and would definitely come again.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank MarijkeLondon

I appreciate your detailed review of our hotel and am pleased you chose the Iroquois for your birthday celebration! All the best to you.

Caroline Lakin, Front Desk Manager