“Great location, great staff, overall great experience”

The Iroquois New York
Ranked #39 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Toronto, Ontario
“Great location, great staff, overall great experience”
Reviewed 18 April 2010

Arrived early in New York for a business meeting (10 am), was offered a smaller room which I happily took. Room in size was small but a great room had everything I needed and very comfortable and clean. Staff were very helpful as this was my first trip to New York. Location was perfect for walking around Times Square etc. I found the location to be great and perfect for my business meeting above Grand Central Station. I walked everywhere. Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank dg-batman

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (376)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
San Diego
Reviewed 15 April 2010

I travel to NY quite a bit for business and stayed at this hotel for the first time. They upgraded me to a suite, which was a great start. The service was very friendly and the hotel was very comfortable. It was nice to stay in a smaller, more personal hotel, when compares to your larger chain hotels (Hyatt, Sheraton, etcs.). Unlike some of thsose larger hotel chains, this hotel was polished on the edges and appointed very nicely throughout. The bathroom was very high end, with the exception of the shower which was out of place in comparison with the quality of the finish in every other aspect of the hotel. I only point that out since I cannot write a review without suggested some area for improvement. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank SanDiegoTrvlr71
IroquoisFrontDesk, Front Desk Manager at The Iroquois New York, responded to this review, 1 May 2010
Thank you for your review. Its my pleasure to inform we are currently in the process of refreshing our bathrooms by replacing all brass fixtures, installing new pedestal sinks, and polishing the Italian Marble. I appreciate your remarks, and we'll look forward to welcoming you back!
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 9 April 2010

We are literally just back from New York for our honeymoon.. I am disappointed with the hotel for a number of reasons. Firstly I emailed them in advance and told them it was our honeymoon, so I was expecting a bottle of wine or flowers or some fruit in the room, but we received no acknowledgment when we registered, nor any nice touches.

The room was 509 – which was at the back. I will start with the cons – sleeping was difficult because we were close to all the air conditioning units so they were noisy (even with ear plugs). It was dark and the lighting was appalling. You literally had to go around to each light to turn them on with no overhead light or central switch, we found it really difficult to turn off the bedside lamps so I unplugged mine each night. The lighting was so bad that I couldn’t find anywhere to plug in the hairdryer and had to climb under the desk to unplug things. I later spotted a plug on the other wall! The furniture is too big for the room and a writing desk/chair is not needed. You can’t turn off the air con/heating it’s always on, but maybe that’s an American feature?

The pros – the bed was great – new and very comfortable. The room was very clean and the location is a few blocks from everything. From Times Square, Grand Central Station, the subway, Bryant Park, oh and there’s a diner a few doors away which is great for breakfast. Free internet usage & water in reception was great too as our phones didn’t work and we had to make arrangements with various people. At Bryant Park there’s a lovely organic café called Le Pain Quotidien which had the best coffee (it’s hard to get a decent coffee in NY!) and delicious food.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
Leiden, The Netherlands
Reviewed 6 April 2010

My wife and I have been to New York several times before, and every time we try a new place to stay. This time we went for the Iroquois, because of the excellent location and because we've stayed at some hotels of the Small Luxury Hotels Of The World before and they were always quite nice.
Unfortunately I think the Iroquois is not quite up to those standards. The room was ok, maybe bit small, but hey it's NY. What put me off most of all was the dust on the mirror lamp in the bathroom, it seemed like it wasn't cleaned for at least a few months. They did clean it after I mentioned it, but still...
Another thing I didn't like was the lack of doormen, most of the time there was nobody there. Nobody really showed any interest which would have been nice when we arrived with our cases.
Oh and the elevators are slow and often busy.
On the plus side, we had a nice dutch girl at reception who treated us really nice.
The location is really good and the bed was good and free WIFI, which is a very good plus I think.
All in all, it was a bit disapointing. Too bad for what could be a very nice hotel.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
IroquoisFrontDesk, Front Desk Manager at The Iroquois New York, responded to this review, 20 April 2010
Thank you very much for your feedback which provides us the opportunity to improve our service. If you would ever be so kind as to give us another chance and stay at our property again, I assure you we would do all possible to improve your "ok" description. Do not hesitate contacting me at the hotel, and I would be happy to personally make the reservation. Thank you again.
-Caroline Lakin
cornwall
Reviewed 2 April 2010

We stayed here for 5 nights in a one bedroom suite on the 5th floor. We chose The Iroquois because of its position and the reviews said the beds were comfortable, very important to me! Well our king size bed did not dissapoint, 6'6'' wide, loads of pillows, top quality bed linen, and REALLY comfortable, the manager told us the beds had a 15 year guarantee and were currently 3 years old. Our suite consisted of a lounge with corner sofa, desk, occasional chairs, coffee tables, lamps, fridge, flat screen TV on a chest. The furnishing was traditional with modern accents, all in excellent condition and very spacious. There was a door leading to an equally spacious bedroom with huge bed, chaise lounge, flat screen TV on a chest of drawers, built in cupboard, lamps etc everything you could want and all very tasteful. The bathroom was quite small and contained a short but very deep jaccuzi type bath, seperate large shower cubicle with an oh so powerful shower, basin and WC. The taps were gold coloured ( not my taste) but the floor and walls were a neutral marble and very attractive. We had 4 phones in the suite. My daughter joined us for a 3 nights and slept well on the sofa which converted into a 5' double bed. Nothing was too much trouble for the staff, who greeted us warmly and seemed genuinely interested in making sure our stay did not dissapoint. The free wireless internet worked well, and there was a computer and printer for guests free use in the Library. We had the continental breakfast which was included in our rate and again it was all we could have wanted. The position close to Times Square but on a quiet side street is brilliant, with loads of bars and resturants really close by. The Iroquis was never tatty, there was no chipped paint, grubby fabrics, or stained rugs, it was really well cared for and we loved it. The manager told us he had been there 8 years and perhaps this is the key, he loves the place and that filters through to everyone. It's a GREAT little luxury hotel and we would definitely recommend it

3 Thank sandyCornwall
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 1 April 2010

Had to unexpectedly stay 2 nights in NYC and got a classic room at the Iroquois. From the moment we arrived we were warmly greeted, given excellent dining tips and generally made to feel at home. Our room was very comfortable, flat screen tv, dvd player and a choice to movies to borrow at reception. The marble bathroom with molton brown products was compact but had plenty of fluffy towels and a great shower. Great midtown location, very near Times Square and just off 5th Ave. Very nice, clean diner a few doors away called the Red Flame which did very good breakfasts, all in all I would definetly stay here again.

2 Thank ingrid45
Texas
Reviewed 30 March 2010

I recently stayed at the Iroquois for a girl’s trip with my sister. The price was competitive to other hotels in New York and it was located close to the Museum of Modern Art, which was our ultimate destination. The check in process was easy and the staff at the front desk was very friendly considering I was checking in at 12:35AM. We had probably the most basic room they offer with double beds, but it still had the most comfortable beds and bedding. We did get the complimentary turn down chocolates and a complimentary bottle of water. The room was spacious enough and it was a great home base for the weekend. The hotel was easy walking distance to the things we wanted to see, so the location was perfect. The best part of the trip was the concierge Nick. We had set out a very specific schedule of museum visits and plays and Nick was able to make reservations at great restaurants near each attraction. We had some of the best meals ever this time to New York and I know it is all because of Nick. A great meal is the culmination of a great day and Nick was able to deliver that. I will definitely stay at this hotel the next time I go to New York and would recommend it to others.

• Stayed March 2010