“Superb location”

Ranked #38 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Yorkshire
“Superb location”
Reviewed 1 May 2010

You are no more than 20 minutes to any of the tourist hot spots, the location could not have been better. The other added advantage is the fact that the street is relatively quiet compared to some and as such you will get a great quiet nights sleep.

The rooms are cramped, even the exec kingsize felt more like a standard room, but everything was there that you would need.

Staff were friendly, helpful, and accommodating. Cant comment on the food as we ate out all the time, although the dining room didnt really make you want to dine there...small dark and gloomy...this would really be the only criticism of the hotel.

Otherwise it provided a fantastic base for a week long break.

2 Thank warobbo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (376)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
McMinnville, Tennessee
Reviewed 29 April 2010

I made a reservation at The Iroquois for one night, as I was only going to be in New York for a Broadway opening and would be returning home the following day. I arrived at the hotel a bit early, and was told that no rooms were yet available, but they could hold my luggage for me (the wait was expected to be 30-45 minutes). I went into the library to print out boarding passes for the following day. While there, I spoke with two men who were traveling from Scotland and been stuck in New York for several days due to the Icelandic volcano eruption. They informed me that the hotel was full of people who could not leave due to the volcano, and I became a bit concerned that they wouldn't have a room for me. I went back out to the desk to speak with the very polite and courteous receptionist, who told me that they had a room for me. The bellman who accompanied me to my room was also very nice and attentive.

I wasn't aware of it until we arrived at my room, but since the hotel was full they gave me a huge suite complete with living room, dining room, and kitchen. It was beautiful and far more than I'd paid for (my reservation was for a deluxe king room with breakfast included). I was stunned, but obviously quite happy with the turn of events. I thought it very professional that no mention was made of the room switch at the front desk (while other guests were waiting as well). While I have stayed at five star hotels that are much more plush for the same price, I think the nightly rate is comparable for a good location in New York. The hotel is only a couple of blocks from Times Square and all the theaters on Broadway. I was so close that I was able to walk to both dinner and the event (in heels) without paying a cab fare. That alone is worth a lot in my opinion. The bed was also wonderfully comfortable, and I appreciated the iPhone dock in the bedroom for charging my phone. The following day, my breakfast was delivered promptly at 7:00am as requested, and the bellman arranged for a flat-fee town car to take me to the airport (during rush hour). Everything from check-in to check-out went very smoothly, and all of the employees I encountered were extremely courteous. Customer service is the number one reason I will return to The Iroquois. I only hope to be able to stay longer next time!

I am truly appreciative to The Iroquois for the accommodation and kind treatment, and have resolved to stay there again on my next visit to NYC.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank MNinTN
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 29 April 2010

This is what we call the perfect Hotel experience. Wonderful location (convenient but quiet), friendly, attentive and helpful staff, spacious room with great bed, terrific shower, windows that open, useful amenities, good storage and plenty of light, effective aircon, and WIFI. The bar is great and the library comfortable. It's a home away from home and the staff make you feel at home from the moment you walk in the door - nothing is too much trouble. The Chef Concierge is a gem. Paul and Gabrielle Gibson.

2 Thank connery007
Regina, Canada
Reviewed 24 April 2010

We stayed at the Iroquois for over a week for during a spring getaway. The hotel exceeded expectations at every step. This was our third trip to the Big Apple and each time we have stayed at notable hotels, so we had high expectations, The Iroquois delivered on each one. We had a quiet, secluded room on the 8th floor...an important consideration for Manhattan!

From the luxury bathrobes and Molten Brown bath items to the little freebees like the New York Times and coffee / citrus water, we were made to feel like royalty each day. Our free internet access was excellent, despite what others had noted, so we appreciated the ability to keep our friends and family updated on our trip each night. As with anything in Manhattan, the consideration must be "location, location, location" and the Iroquois was by far the best situated hotel we have stayed in to date. We were able to walk to many locations with ease including Rockefeller Center, Macy's, Grand Central, and even Central Park, saving lots of $$$ in cab fares. West 44th has many hidden gems and we enjoyed the local restaurants and bars located on our street. Very upscale feel.

2 Thank Mat2010
Albany
Reviewed 23 April 2010

I love this hotel. Recently visited NY with my wife and 2 children (ages 8,5) and can't say enough about the Iroquois. The staff couldn't be more friendly and they went out of their way to make us feel comfortable and welcome. While the hotel was very kid friendly I wouldn't hesitate to stay here on business or for a weekend getaway without the kids. You can't beat the location- a short walk from Grand Central and Times Square (less than 5 mins.) but without being right in the middle of it. Also walking distance to Central Park, Empire State Building and Rock. Center.

The room was very clean and modern with extremely comfortable beds! This hotel offers a combination of comfort with a touch of class that is hard to find...
Cant wait to go back!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank BillsFan25
Manchester UK
Reviewed 23 April 2010

My partner and I stayed for 6 nights in March and loved the Iroquois. It is in a perfect location for exploring New York and has the personal touch that you will never get from bigger hotels.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
Toronto, Ontario
Reviewed 18 April 2010

Arrived early in New York for a business meeting (10 am), was offered a smaller room which I happily took. Room in size was small but a great room had everything I needed and very comfortable and clean. Staff were very helpful as this was my first trip to New York. Location was perfect for walking around Times Square etc. I found the location to be great and perfect for my business meeting above Grand Central Station. I walked everywhere. Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business