“Disappointed with the Iroquois”

The Iroquois New York
Ranked #37 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 13 December 2006

We stayed at the Iroquois for three nights in November.
The night we arrived there was no doorman/bellman ton duty to help with luggage so we dragged our heavy cases from the car, up the steps and into hotel. The check in staff were polite but unfriendly.

I had booked a superior room and requested one with natural daylight and a view if possible. The room we were given was a rude shock!
It was tiny by any standards - absolutely not suitable for two people. We could not stand in the room together along with our luggage. As we had flown for twenty four hours from Australia we had planned to order room service for dinner. Our plans had to change - there was Nowhere to eat in the room.

A very small desk on one side of the bed doubled up as nightstand but no nightstand on the other side, I made do with the window sil to balance a glass of water on.

The Frette robes were yellowed all over and really threadbare in places, the door handle came off the bathroom door, so we had to leave that open to avoid being locked in.

There was no natural light At All in the room - the window faced a brick wall, so that, coupled with the Tiny size of the room made for a very claustraphobic experience so bad we moved room next day and paid the extra for a slightly larger room.

So disappointed with the Iroquois - we won't be staying again.

• Stayed: November 2006, travelled as a couple
10  Thank gottogo2006
There are newer reviews for The Iroquois New York

Reviewed 13 November 2006

The Iroquois is in a perfect location for seeing all the sites and only a couple of minutes from Times Square.
The Iroquois has well equipped bedrooms but they are small. We booked a superior room which was very comfortable and clean and the Molton Brown toiletries were an added bonus.
The coffee served in reception each morning was a great way to start the day.
I would recommend the Iroquois although I did think it was expensive. However, we stayed during the marathon weekend and we haven't been to New York before so it's difficult to say whether there are better places to stay which are better value for money.

• Stayed: November 2006, travelled as a couple
4  Thank ellemankv
Reviewed 9 November 2006

We came to the Iroquois on Columbus Day weekend. It has a terrific location being 2 blocks from Time Square and 2 blocks from Grand Central Station. The location to everything really made our stay enjoyable. The rooms are very small and you don't necessarily know what you are getting when you arrive. We booked out room well in advance, but when we got there we were put in a small room with a double bed--so small that with two of us, one person needed to stay in the bed while the other person dressed. We complained to management and they moved us to a queen room on the third floor which was great-also not that larger, but much roomier, and made the rest of our visit very enjoyable. The free internet is nice and wireless were great. It is right next door to the Algonquin Hotel which seemed like a nice place as well. The bed was amazing-very plush and wonderful--and the plasma tv was really nice as well. We'd stay here again-but we would want a guarantee of a queen room.

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ceisen1037
Reviewed 8 November 2006

I booked our stay more than 3 months prior to arrival, booking a small suite. I was called a few days before my arrival and asked to relinquish my suite. The excuse they gave smelled fishy, but I decided to be a good guy. I told them they needed to give me 2 adjoining rooms because I had a 10 year old daughter traveling with us. I stressed that the rooms must be adjoining. We tried to gain access to our rooms at 3 p.m. and we were told that only one room was ready, that there was still a guest in the other room. At 6:30 p.m. the "guest" was still in the other room. My requests to speak with a manager were dismissed, although he was on-site. We overheard the staff discussing the fact that some investor's brother had the room and had left the hotel without removing his luggage and they didn't want to bother him by removing his luggage. Finally, they moved the luggage out at 7 p.m. The rooms could hardly be considered adjoining. You had to cross a small hallway between them; there was a door between the hallway and the rest of the hotel with no more than a bathroom door lock on it. The next morning at breakfast we overheard the manager with his guests at the next table, and we surmised we had been bumped from the suite to accommodate the manager's daughter, her cousin and his inlaws. DO NOT TRUST THIS HOTEL. THEY PUT EVERYONE AHEAD OF THE THIRD PARTY PAYING GUESTS.

• Stayed: May 2006, travelled with family
5  Thank TooDisgusted
Reviewed 28 October 2006

My husband and I had a guarenteed reservation made weeks ago. Our reservation was for a larger room with a queen bed. We arrived and were told we had a double bed, which meant the room was very small. I showed the desk clerk our quarenteed reservation. I was told the hotel DID NOT quarentee their bed size? We went with the bellman to look at the room. With the three of us in the room there was no floor space left. The bed looked smaller than a double. We refused the room and my husband went looking for another hotel. I waited in the lobby with our luggage, while I waited several guests checked in and were giver a larger room with a queen bed. i asked why our reservation was not honored and was told the other people were with a group? Fortunately we were able to find another hotel at a higher rate.
DO NOT STAY HERE. The hotel is not to be trusted to honor you confirmed reservation!!!

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled on business
10  Thank 2lilly2
Reviewed 17 October 2006

I recently stayed at the Iroquois Hotel. This property shines due to location, style, and service! It is located in the center of the Theatre District and next door to the Algonquin Hotel (a must for 5:00 cocktails in the cushy lounge). Immediately when you walk inside the hotel the city noise is quietened by warmth and an inviting entrance. To the left of the foyer is a very nice library on 44th Street with complimentary computer access.

My Mom and I checked into the Iroquois on a Sunday afternoon. We arrived early and our room was ready. Before we could get to our room, the staff delivered complimentary wine and chocolates.

Although a bit small, the rooms are very nice with down comfortors, duvets, marble bathrooms, and plasma flat sceen t.v.'s.

There was a small problem receiving a fruit and cheese gift from a friend on arrival, but the Hotel Manager insisted on not charging her and called her to apologize.

Overall, I would highly recommend this property if your stay requires this bustling neighborhood.

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled with family
2  Thank fromatltony
Reviewed 10 October 2006

The Iroquois is a wonderful small hotel that makes its guests feel welcome, comfortable and pampered. It is idealy situated in mid-town Manhattan with easy access to Broadway theaters and the best NYC restaurants.

The room, while small, was comfortable and beautifully appointed with quality furnishings and amenities including a plasma TV and DVD player. My wife was particularly impressed by the quality of the bedding, bath towels and robe. Our room was an executive king at approximately $525 per night plus taxes.

The hotel discount at the large parking garage accross the street was appreciated. It cost $93 to park for 3 days. Not bad in an area where it can cost up to $60 to park for one night at the theater. Remember to have your parking receipt validated at the front desk.

The only imperfection in an otherwise perfect stay were the slow elevators. We would definitely stay there again and look forward to our next visit.

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled as a couple