“Enjoyed the Iroquois”

Ranked #38 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Canadian in Moscow
“Enjoyed the Iroquois”
Reviewed 27 December 2006

I just spent three nights at The Iroquois and thoroughly enjoyed the hotel. The location is great and the hotel itself is very clean and well maintained. Sure, the rooms are a bit small and mine had a view of an alleyway, however, that isn't much different than most New York hotels. The sauna wasn't working well when I was there, however, the staff was attentive to the problem and got the situation worked out.

The beds are very comfortable and the flatscreen television worked well. The free WiFi helped me get over the jetlag.

I recommend the Iroquois.

• Liked — Location and cleanliness
  • Stayed November 2006, travelled on business
2 Thank BirdmanMoscow

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (376)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Denver
Reviewed 20 December 2006

I stayed at the Iroquois a couple of years ago and had a pleasant enough experience so I returned a couple months ago. Much to my delight, they had made major improvements in almost every area. New super high-quality linens, absurdly comfortable beds, high-def LCD screens, etc. etc. Anyone who has ever booked a room in NYC knows there are always two things you are forced to deal with: rooms priced at a premium and they're relatively small. So the Iroquois is not cheap but nothing in NYC is and it's really great to see they have put a lot of that money back into the hotel. And with the new TV's the room seemed twice as big. Those annoyingly huge bureaus that you see in hotel rooms are no longer there with the new TV's. All in all, a great stay with a great location.

Stayed November 2006
3 Thank DfromDenver
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 13 December 2006

We stayed at the Iroquois for three nights in November.
The night we arrived there was no doorman/bellman ton duty to help with luggage so we dragged our heavy cases from the car, up the steps and into hotel. The check in staff were polite but unfriendly.

I had booked a superior room and requested one with natural daylight and a view if possible. The room we were given was a rude shock!
It was tiny by any standards - absolutely not suitable for two people. We could not stand in the room together along with our luggage. As we had flown for twenty four hours from Australia we had planned to order room service for dinner. Our plans had to change - there was Nowhere to eat in the room.

A very small desk on one side of the bed doubled up as nightstand but no nightstand on the other side, I made do with the window sil to balance a glass of water on.

The Frette robes were yellowed all over and really threadbare in places, the door handle came off the bathroom door, so we had to leave that open to avoid being locked in.

There was no natural light At All in the room - the window faced a brick wall, so that, coupled with the Tiny size of the room made for a very claustraphobic experience so bad we moved room next day and paid the extra for a slightly larger room.

So disappointed with the Iroquois - we won't be staying again.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Room Size
  • Tips/Secrets — be prepared for tiny rooms
  • Stayed November 2006, travelled as a couple
10 Thank gottogo2006
England
Reviewed 13 November 2006

The Iroquois is in a perfect location for seeing all the sites and only a couple of minutes from Times Square.
The Iroquois has well equipped bedrooms but they are small. We booked a superior room which was very comfortable and clean and the Molton Brown toiletries were an added bonus.
The coffee served in reception each morning was a great way to start the day.
I would recommend the Iroquois although I did think it was expensive. However, we stayed during the marathon weekend and we haven't been to New York before so it's difficult to say whether there are better places to stay which are better value for money.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Seemed expensive
  • Tips/Secrets — Visit the top of the Rockerfeller centre at night for fantastic views
  • Stayed November 2006, travelled as a couple
4 Thank ellemankv
Los Angeles
Reviewed 9 November 2006

We came to the Iroquois on Columbus Day weekend. It has a terrific location being 2 blocks from Time Square and 2 blocks from Grand Central Station. The location to everything really made our stay enjoyable. The rooms are very small and you don't necessarily know what you are getting when you arrive. We booked out room well in advance, but when we got there we were put in a small room with a double bed--so small that with two of us, one person needed to stay in the bed while the other person dressed. We complained to management and they moved us to a queen room on the third floor which was great-also not that larger, but much roomier, and made the rest of our visit very enjoyable. The free internet is nice and wireless were great. It is right next door to the Algonquin Hotel which seemed like a nice place as well. The bed was amazing-very plush and wonderful--and the plasma tv was really nice as well. We'd stay here again-but we would want a guarantee of a queen room.

• Liked — The location and the bed
  • Disliked — The attitude at the front desk could be a bit snooty at times.
  • Tips/Secrets — Ask for a queen on the third floor
  • Stayed October 2006, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ceisen1037
Connecticut
Reviewed 8 November 2006

I booked our stay more than 3 months prior to arrival, booking a small suite. I was called a few days before my arrival and asked to relinquish my suite. The excuse they gave smelled fishy, but I decided to be a good guy. I told them they needed to give me 2 adjoining rooms because I had a 10 year old daughter traveling with us. I stressed that the rooms must be adjoining. We tried to gain access to our rooms at 3 p.m. and we were told that only one room was ready, that there was still a guest in the other room. At 6:30 p.m. the "guest" was still in the other room. My requests to speak with a manager were dismissed, although he was on-site. We overheard the staff discussing the fact that some investor's brother had the room and had left the hotel without removing his luggage and they didn't want to bother him by removing his luggage. Finally, they moved the luggage out at 7 p.m. The rooms could hardly be considered adjoining. You had to cross a small hallway between them; there was a door between the hallway and the rest of the hotel with no more than a bathroom door lock on it. The next morning at breakfast we overheard the manager with his guests at the next table, and we surmised we had been bumped from the suite to accommodate the manager's daughter, her cousin and his inlaws. DO NOT TRUST THIS HOTEL. THEY PUT EVERYONE AHEAD OF THE THIRD PARTY PAYING GUESTS.

• Disliked — Management
  • Tips/Secrets — Do not book a room here
  • Stayed May 2006, travelled with family
5 Thank TooDisgusted
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 28 October 2006

My husband and I had a guarenteed reservation made weeks ago. Our reservation was for a larger room with a queen bed. We arrived and were told we had a double bed, which meant the room was very small. I showed the desk clerk our quarenteed reservation. I was told the hotel DID NOT quarentee their bed size? We went with the bellman to look at the room. With the three of us in the room there was no floor space left. The bed looked smaller than a double. We refused the room and my husband went looking for another hotel. I waited in the lobby with our luggage, while I waited several guests checked in and were giver a larger room with a queen bed. i asked why our reservation was not honored and was told the other people were with a group? Fortunately we were able to find another hotel at a higher rate.
DO NOT STAY HERE. The hotel is not to be trusted to honor you confirmed reservation!!!

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — The hotel did not honor their confirmed reservation!
  • Tips/Secrets — Do not book a room at the IRoquois Hotel, New York!
  • Stayed September 2006, travelled on business