“A little something extra at the Iroquois”

The Iroquois New York
Ranked #38 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Bay Area, CA
“A little something extra at the Iroquois”
Reviewed 7 April 2007

When my boss shorted me a night at the Sofitel next door (surprise, you don't have a room for tonight!), I to the Iroquois and was able to book a room for that same evening... what started out as very stressful day ended up to be a lovely surprise! I was upgraded to a suite (for the same price as a regular room) and was treated to a comfortable living room (didn't really get to enjoy it though, for the one night I was there) and a spacious & beautiful bedroom/bath. The king-size bed was very comfortable and the flat screen TV, fancy alarm clock (wish I had time to figure that thing out!), jacuzzi tub were the perfect was to end a stress-filled work week away from home. The only downside was the icky, teeny tiny shower - I felt like I was in a vertical coffin, and couldn't wait to get out of there! Overall, it was a great experience & I couldn't have been happier with the staff and treatment.

• Stayed April 2007
2 Thank pixiecat

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (376)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Pittsburgh, PA
Reviewed 31 March 2007

I planned on a one-night stay for business but ended up staying for four because the ice-storm cancelled my flight. What started as a disaster ended up being a pleasant weekend in NYC, largely due to the quality and service at this hotel.

Knowing that I was going to pay $300+ for any decent room in midtown I wanted to try something new and perhaps better than the usual W, Hyatt, Waldorf and other hotels in the 300-400 range. Based on reviews here on Trip Advisor I decided to take a chance...I was not dissapointed. The reviews are quite accurate.

Excellent for adults looking for a quiet yet conveniently located hotel. The rooms (I had two similar ones) are spacious by NYC standards with a chair+ottoman, full size dresser and smallish desk with chair. Well-laid out. Bathroom amenities (Molton Brown, my favorite) and fixtures (compact Ritz Carlton style) were superb. Plasma TV, windows that actually open, frette linens, comfortable bed (almost Ritz-like), mini-bar, etc. Only thing missing is a coffee maker; I hope someone from the Iroquois is reading this.

Staff was quite accommodating to all of us stranded travelers. They kept the same rate through the weekend despite typically higher charges. They had the uncommon ability to know when to help and when to leave you alone. I especially like the hot cider at the front desk in the evening...it took the bite out of the ice storm. Loved the library off the lobby, perfect antidote for small NYC rooms.

I spent the weekend watching the St. Patty's parade (started in front of the hotel) and shopping. It is convenient to the men's stores on Madison. Didn't get a show in but this is a perfect close yet quiet location.

I will never stay at another NYC hotel again. This is my new home away from home.

Stayed March 2007
3 Thank PittDoc
Philadelphia, PA
Reviewed 29 March 2007

The Iroquois is one of those finds that you almost want to keep to yourself, but we couldn’t help ourselves: My husband and I came back from our trip to New York telling everyone, “We stayed at the most wonderful place!”

Just a few weeks ago, I, too, was scrolling through these reviews, wondering if they might be too good to be true. Believe me, this hotel is superb.

I was attracted by the Frette linens and robes; my husband liked that a 24-hour fitness center was available, and that discounted parking was right across the street. The amenities are luxurious, the bed and bedding the most comfortable we’ve ever slept in. But it was the friendly, attentive service that made us feel so welcome and pampered.

We were warmly greeted by every person we encountered.

The front desk upgraded our room upon arrival, not knowing that we were celebrating our anniversary. When the manager discovered it was so, he sent wine and chocolates and a lovely greeting to our room. And he remembered us and the occasion for our visit at check-out.

Those were very nice touches in addition to other details we appreciated -- the chocolates and weather card at turn down; the complimentary coffee and the Times in the morning; having a CD player in the room. It all added up to a lovely, singular experience for us. Believe me, we’ll be back!

• Stayed March 2007, travelled as a couple
2 Thank menloe
WILMINGTON, DE
Reviewed 27 March 2007

I have stayed at many hotels in NYC and the Iroquois was one of the best experiences I've had thus far. The hotel was very clean and well appointed from lobby to room. Italian marble in the bathrooms and bathroom fixtures were impeccable. The room was very clean and well arranged and linens were high-quality and very comfortable. The big plus was the staff. All were welcoming with a smile and ready to serve and all very knowledgable about the neighborhood and NYC attractions. The restaurant and bar, TRIOMPHE was excellent and the hotel is centrally located and close to Times Square and browadway attractions. I will definitely return and have already recommended the hotel to a handful of others.

• Liked — Clean and classy
  • Disliked — No qualms about anything
  • Stayed February 2007, travelled on business
2 Thank V32
New England
Reviewed 25 March 2007

We stayed at the Iroquois for 4 days at the start of a lengthy international vacation.

We had never stayed there before but were immediately impressed by the way the staff rushed to accommodate our needs due to severe disruption caused by US Airways' usual incompetence. Rescheduling and rearranging check-in/out went incredibly smoothly with everything professionally handled by a very experienced and knowledgeable staff.

The food is excellent - some of the best breakfasts and dinners we have ever had in over 30 years of travelling. Friendly, pleasant wait staff were eager to please and attend to our every request. An innovative menu made the servings sparkle with fresh ingredients and attention to preparation usually lacking in many NYC hotels.

The hotel is well situated being convenient to both the theatre district, major department stores and mid-town Manhattan business venues. Rooms are fair-sized, even large by New York standards, and are clean and well appointed. Linens and furniture are well above average and certainly qualify for a "luxurious" label. The housekeeping staff are attentive and work promptly and efficiently to respond to requests.

The prices are extremely reasonable - even "best value for money" would be a fitting description!

We'll stay here again at every opportunity!

• Liked — Quiet, quality and service!
  • Stayed June 2006, travelled on business
2 Thank John M
Merritt Island, Florida
Reviewed 13 March 2007

I stayed here with my friend (girls weekend). We loved it. The beds were very comfortable with great linens. Our room had a flat screen tv with free HBO and plenty of channels, not to mention a DVD player. There was no view from the window (another building) but we weren't in the room much so that was fine. The bathroom was a nice size as was the oddly shaped closet, great use of space. The service was very good and friendly. My favorite thing about this hotel was the feel of comfort. It was a small luxury hotel but didn't have any false pretenses. The people were friendly, not snooty, and I always felt comfortable there. The room and hotel were very clean, turn down service was wonderful. The air conditioning and heat worked great. I don't havea single complaint. Also, very well situated to everything.

• Liked — Comfortable feeling
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled with friends
Pittsburgh
Reviewed 1 March 2007

This was my third stay at the Iroquois and each time it just keeps getting better. The rooms are small but impeccable. The beds are luxurious and comfortable. The bathroom is completely marble and CLEAN. The staff is accomodating and friendly. And the resturant is excellent. The central location makes getting around Manhattan easy. Within walking distance of great resturants, shopping and just blocks from Times Square. Great for business travel...but I would stay here for pleasure too.

• Liked — clean
  • Disliked — elevator
  • Stayed February 2007, travelled on business