“Great locality even better staff”

The Iroquois New York
Ranked #38 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Great locality even better staff”
Reviewed 9 August 2010

This was our honeymoon destination and we couldn't have enjoyed it more. The rooms are small and compact but clean and tidy. They catered for all our needs. The staff were really friendly and helpful. It is 2 blocks one way from times square and 2 blocks the other way from grand central station. All the main attractions are within walking distance or a short bus ride away. We really enjoyed our stay and would recommend the hotel to anyone. A great all rounder.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank alliej1

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (376)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 August 2010

A great little hotel in a fab location. We upgraded to a suite which was superb. The former Executive King (or whatever it was titled) was actually a very small room but New York is famed for small rooms. The beds in both rooms were amazing. Huge and comfortable.
the Staff were very helpful and friendly but the concierge wasn't around as much as we had hoped to advise us on what do - where not to go etc...
We never ate at the hotel as it seemed pricy and set in a rather boring room.
i doubt I’d go back as there is such a choice out there but that's not because of a bad stay... probably good if you are on a work trip and want somewhere reliable to return to.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank dontdivedavedive
miami, fl
Reviewed 8 August 2010

As a Gold Guest member, I called ahead of time and spoke to a Gold Guest Ambassador, to make my stay an ideal one. However, when I arrived and mentioned the ambassador's name, no one knew who I was talking about. I travel to NYC once a month and am used to the early check in process and the availablity. The front desk staff were curt, rude, and unaccomodating. They do not understand the concept of "estimated time" and seemed upset that I requested one.
When I finally did receive a room, I was placed directly across from an elevator, which I specifically requested not to be. The air conditioner in the room was broken, so I was immediately moved to another room, right across from the elevator, again. When I mentioned the heat in the new room, I was told this is typical of the rooms, and had to request a portable fan be brought in. Even this did not help the uncomfortable temperature of the room. Nor did the engineer, who did not know how to properly work the air conditioner.
As I was lying in bed, a hotel employee knocked on the door, did not wait for an answer, and proceeded to let himself in.
The fixtures in the shower and lack of ease were a clear indication that this hotel needs to be updated.
There are always great deals for hotels, but I would gladly spend the extra money for a hotel that provides a nice experience. This hotel is not even worth the discounted price, especially when there are much better ones within walking distance. this was definitely a lesson learned.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank delMiami_Fl
IroquoisFrontDesk, Front Office Manager at The Iroquois New York, responded to this review, 11 August 2010
I would first like to apologize for the most recent experience you encountered while staying with us. I can assure you that we value everyone of our guests and we do all we can to make sure their stay is as enjoyable as possible. I am most proud of how professional, courteous and friendly our staff members are from top to bottom. I do realize (according to your review) that we fell short in your experience and for that I sincerely apologize. Given another opportunity, I am confident that you will experience what so many of our valued past/current guests have experienced with us and why they consider us "their home away from home". Please feel free to contact me directly if you do decide to give us another opportunity.

Warmest Regards,

Antonio Alfama
Director Front Office
Redlands, Ca
Reviewed 5 August 2010

The Iroquois, like many NYC hotels, has small rooms. Don't plan on putting your suitcase on the floor! However, what it lacks in space, it makes up for in amenities. Rooms are comfortable with DVD players, wireless, etc. The library was a pleasant lobby space to quickly check email, print boarding passes, or enjoy the morning coffee or afternoon lemonade. The book collection is fun to browse-- many tomes on NYC. The staff was extremely polite and friendly. The location can't be beat.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank Aubepine12
Bermuda
Reviewed 30 July 2010

Only stayed here for one night but we had a great time. We arrived a bit before check in time but our room was ready. The room was spotless! Small but very well appointed and very comfortable. Bathroom was immaculate and bright. Great water pressure in the shower and no issues with water temperature. The hotel was busy yet I heard no noise in the hall or from the elevator which was near our door. Staff were all very friendly and let me bang away on the chimes they have displayed on the front desk. Excellent location (we saw Lend Me a Tenor at Music Box Theater --- highly recommend this show). The bed was so divine i did not want to get out of it. Frette sheets and towels. Nice robes too. My only regret was not having time to sample the restaurant at the hotel which I will do on my next visit.
Thanks for a great trip! hope to see you again soon!
Susan Thomas

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank Bermudasusan
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 30 July 2010

I'm in New York most weeks on business and will frequently stay at the Iroquois. Only complaint(s) - you can get a small room with an interior view and the gym is tiny. Otherwise great staff, cozy bar, great location, like the size and scale of the hotel. (not a mega hotel).

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank jjsboston
Jackson, Tennessee
Reviewed 30 July 2010

The hotel was super and the service was great. Bill made sure that our stay at the Iroqouis was fantastic. I would definitely stay at the Iroquois again.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple