“Excellent Choice”

Ranked #38 of 466 Hotels in New York City
Shreveport, LA
“Excellent Choice”
Reviewed 26 October 2010

We had an excellent experience with this botique hotel in New York. Perfect location, clean rooms and not too small for New York. The staff was very helpful, especially the concierge, Nick. He went out of his way to help with reservations, etc. The only negative aspect of our stay was that our room was not ready by 3:00 as promised, but overall this is an excellent hotel and I would stay there again.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
IroquoisHotel, General Manager at The Iroquois New York, responded to this review, 27 October 2010
Good Morning,

Thank you for taking a moment to share your experience at the Iroquois Hotel. I am truly pleased to hear of your overall impression of our hotel and the service we provide. I have shared your kind words with Nick, our Concierge. I do apologize for the delay in having your room available and have addressed this with our housekeeping staff. We do everything possible to have rooms available for check in as soon as they are ready to be serviced.
We look forward to your return visit!

Robert Holmes
The Iroquois New York

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (384)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Massachusetts
Reviewed 10 October 2010

Luxurious, small but very comfortable room, nice amenities of a top hotel, free internet, lovely bed with great sheets. As nice as I could have asked for. One slightly odd thing -- seemed like the room, and sheets, were just a touch humid. Not wet or unpleasant, just not quite how I would have chosen.

Staff was unfailingly helpful, friendly and adaptable to my requests.

I had booked a cheaper, much less nice place for the weekend. The other place was unsleepably loud, so at 6am I started calling around to see who had a room available for early (very early!) checkin. Iroquois had some good last-minute rates online. They were kiind enough to let me in early for the next night (early like 8am!) so I got a little rest in the morning, and then a good sleep the night I'd booked.

Would definitely go back at the discounted rate; would be reasonable at the higher rate but is above my usual budget.

Stayed September 2010, travelled solo
IroquoisFrontDesk, Front Office Manager at The Iroquois New York, responded to this review, 12 October 2010
Thank you very much for your detailed review. Please know we take these comments into account as we are constantly improving and upgrading our product and service. I am very pleased to know you enjoyed your stay with us, and we hope to be able to welcome you back shortly. Thanks again.

Caroline Lakin
Front Desk Manager
coral gables, fl
Reviewed 6 October 2010

I was looking forward to staying at this hotel as the reviews were very positive. However, on balance our weekend stay was disappointing.

The good:
Location
Frette linens
Chocolates and welcome wine
Complimentary coffee and fruit flavored water in the lobby

The bad:
When we arrived it was raining, and there was nobody in front to help us with our bags. In fact, the bellman from the next door hotel, The City Club, took the bags out of the cab for us. Then, we just carried our own bags up the stairs into the hotel as we did not want to wait outside in the rain for a bellman.

Windows do not have sound proofing....on fifth floor over 44 St. lots of horns, sirens and early morning garbage truck pickup noise.

Our deluxe room for over $400 per night was really small and claustrophobic as was the bathroom. The tub had mold around the edge, not a pretty sight. Other hotels we have stayed at in the 4 star category such as The Michelangelo, London, NYC and the Regency offer larger rooms in the deluxe category for a similar price.

But, my biggest gripe was the negative interaction we had with the check in staff, particularly Alex. When we arrived at 3 pm to check in, our room was not ready. Since check in time is 3 pm, we asked if we could please have another room since ours was not ready. We were told that they were full, and there were no other rooms. We were told that the previous guests in our room #504 had just checked out at 2:30 and the housekeepers were just now cleaning it. My husband said "If check in time is 3:00 and the room was blocked out for us, why did these guests leave at 2:30. Alex said they had a late checkout and were late leaving the room. My husband said that if the room was blocked out why would they be given a late check out and Alex said "Do you think we should never give anyone a late check out? Would you have us kick these guests out?" This was not the point! His answer was certainly not apologetic and actually quite rude. The room was ready about 25 minutes later....not such a big deal, but they did not handle this in a professional nor cordial manner.

I am a retired travel agent, and I could never recommend this hotel to friends or clients.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
IroquoisFrontDesk, Front Office Manager at The Iroquois New York, responded to this review, 7 October 2010
I am deeply sorry for the recent experience you had at our hotel. It is rare that we receive negative feedback of which you have mentioned on your tripadvisor review. Our success is built on several factors like location, cleanliness, most of all, our service. We take a lot of pride in making guest feel at home and this is the reason we have such a high percentage of repeat guests. Based on your review, the quality of service you encountered is unacceptable. We definitely do not want to leave you with this impression of our hotel. Please feel free to contact me directly if you plan on visiting NYC in the near future and I will personally see to it that we not only meet but exceed your expectations.

Antonio Alfama
Director of Front Office
Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed 4 October 2010

In decades of travel I have rarely found such warm, welcoming, accommodating service! From a personal greeting at the check-in desk (especially appreciated after a delayed flight, late arrival, and driver who had dropped me at the wrong hotel!), to a bellman (Arial) who remembered my name, to the desk clerk (Iva) who let me stay a few minutes over after an important business meeting, to the concierge (Nick) who arranged my return trip to Laguardia, to Arial's farewell at the departing limo, all of the service was personal and with a smile. When I called two weeks later to ask for a receipt copy, they remembered the details of my work in NY and faxed the receipt within minutes.

The room and bath were completely refurbished, comfortable, and quiet, though a tad small if you had two people staying. My room service breakfast came just on time, based on my requiest the previous evening. It was more than ample, with a huge bowl of ceral, fresh fruit, and giant bagle. The Iroquois' location is superb, just a few blocks from MOMA and all of the delights of 5th Avenue. My business meeting was near the East River, about a mile and a half away, and an easy cab ride. Do allow extra time, however, if you are in that part of town when the UN General Assembly is in session, as it was when I visited. Gridlock does occur!

After my business meeting, I had an entire afternoon to roam the city. When I returned, I settled in the hotel's cozy library to check my flight on the computers and print out my boarding pass. I then settled down to read the paper until my airport limo arrived.

My only complaint was that the room AC could not be controlled by the guest, but the bellman came up and closed the vents so that cold air would not circulate all night.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
IroquoisFrontDesk, Front Office Manager at The Iroquois New York, responded to this review, 24 October 2010
Thank you very much for your favorable review of the Iroquois. We know the small details make a positive difference in our guests' stays, and we are please these details were not overlooked by you. We hope to welcome you back shortly.
Regards,
Caroline Lakin
Front Desk Manager
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 3 October 2010

The Iroquois is one of the few hotels we were able to find that would allow smoking in the room. This, along with the location of the hotel, was the reason we booked this hotel. The price of the room is a little more than we typically spend but it was worth it. The rooms are small and our room didn't offer a view, but that was expected given the hotel is located amidst high rise buildings. Luxurious and unbelievably comfortable bed, robes and towels. Lovely amenities, including the complimentary bottle of wine and chocolate truffles left for us the first evening. Each additional evening add'l chocolates were left with turn down service. Staff very friendly. Doorman always there! Concierge service helpful but my only advice would be that the girl in concierge should want to help and offer suggestions to travelers in NYC but I felt as though I was an annoyance and a bother (didn't care though -- she was getting paid to do a job). The maps were very helpful and gave good suggestions how to navigate the city. Superb trip, superb city - oh so much to do. I will return! dts and dvd

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 26 September 2010

We loved our stay at the Iroquois Hotel. So close to Central Station & Times Square as well as great restaurants and parks. I loved the feeling of the smaller hotel - the small room was tastefully decorated, the linens were high quality, the staff were all pleasant and we felt it was great value for our money.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 September 2010

We stayed at the Iroquois for our honeymoon and were warmly greeted by Bill the doorman who showed us to our room and recommended the Red Flame Diner next door for breakfast. Breakfast was very expensive at the hotel so the diner was a good (and much cheaper) option. Although they are quite small the rooms are very comfortable and the beds nice and cozy...you get chocolates on your pillow each night too which is a nice touch. Free internet access is good too, especially as we were then the volcanic ash disrupted flights and we needed to rebook our flight back home. All the staff there were welcoming and helpful, nothing was too much trouble. Although The Iroquois is minutes away from Times Square you wouldn't know it, it was peaceful and quiet.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple