“3rd visit and still brilliant!”

The Iroquois New York
Ranked #38 of 467 Hotels in New York City
UK.
“3rd visit and still brilliant!”
Reviewed 29 October 2010

This was my third stay at The Iroquois with my sister in the past three years and again it lived up to our expectations. Once again we booked a classic room ( 2 double beds) and requested a quiet, non smoking room and we were allocated a room at the back of the hotel. Whilst there was no view, it was a peaceful place to escape to for some rest. We couldn't hear any traffic or other guests and the only noise was the feint humm of the air conditioning unit. This didn't bother me at all and I am a light sleeper but I would recommend ear plugs for anyone who may be sensitive to this sort of noise.

The room was comfortable and clean. It is small, but then I expected that. If you bring a lot of luggage be prepared for it to get in the way, there really isn't room for lots of cases! The bathroom was windowless but clean and we were given fresh towels each day. The shower was lovely and hot and had an excellent flow.

The hotel has a turn down service and provide the weather forecast for the next day. Very handy when you are planning what to see and do.

We didn't eat at the hotel so I cannot comment on that. We used the Red Flame Diner down the road which was excellent as always. A varied and plentiful menu, quick service and good value.

The library at the hotel is another benefit. Two computers with free internet use and a printer. Perfect for checking email, updating Facebook!!, planning activities and checking in for the return flight home. There only used to be one computer and sometimes we would experience a small wait, but now there are two, you can pretty much find one free at anytime.

The staff were friendly and helpful and the doorman was able to hail us a cab for our return to the airport. He did recommend the hotel car service (fixed fee of $65) but we preferred to take a licensed yellow cab. This cost $45 plus toll and tip (total around $60).

The location of this hotel remains one of the top reasons to stay here and one of the main reasons that I will recommend this place to friends.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank muggleUk_
IroquoisFrontDesk, Front Office Manager at The Iroquois New York, responded to this review, 9 November 2010
Dear muggleUK-
Thank you once again for your kind review. I am proud to say we have many repeat guest like yourself, which I think shows our deep commitment in making our guest's stays memorable. These repeat guests are extra special to us, and we even have a rewards program designed specifically for our loyal guests.
Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back.
Front Desk Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (386)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
North Yorkshire
Reviewed 29 October 2010

My friend and I stayed here for 5 nights and the room was a little small..well all the surfaces had things on them, tray of drinks as the "minibar", tray with glasses and ice bucket(ask room service for ice, and brochures/guides for NY and the hotel.
But the beds were very comfortable, the room and the bathroom clean and the location just great.
had two fabulous meals in the restaurant.pricey, but grat flavours and textures.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank oldbiddy_8
IroquoisHotel, General Manager at The Iroquois New York, responded to this review, 1 November 2010
Thank you for taking a moment to share your experience at the Iroquois. I am glad to hear you found our beds very comfortable and the room clean. I am also truly pleased to hear of your dining experiences in of our restaurant, Triomphe. Please tell your friends of your experience and we look forward to your return visit to the Iroquois New York.

Xinbei, Taiwan
Reviewed 27 October 2010

Stayed one week here (Oct. 16 -- Oct. 23). Hotel is very accomodating with regards to our request of having a room in the higher floors, refrigerator in the room and a late check-out. The cleaning staffs are particularly recommendable. The hotel has a system on tipping wherein they leave envelope in the room for you to put your tip. There were 2 incidents when they must've forgotten to leave the envelope therefore, we put the money on the dressing table but we found it still there when we got back. Size of the room is big enough to walk around comfortably even with luggage lying around. The air condition is a little loud but did'nt hinder us from having a good sleep with the cozy bed and pillows and Frette linens. The free morning coffee and evening apple cider was a blessing especially during cold days. We had the bed and breakfast package which we regretted because the continental breakfast took forever to be served and choices are limited. Besides, there's a diner just few doors down the hotel which gives you value for your money and more choices too but get there early on weekends because the place fills up quickly. But dinner at Triomphe Restaurant (same place where they serve breakfast) is a different matter, the ambience, the service and the food is excellent all the way. So, cannot comprehend why breakfast and dinner have 2 different standards!?! The location of this hotel is just perfect, within walking distance of lots of sights and MTA station and yet on a quiet and safe street.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
IroquoisHotel, General Manager at The Iroquois New York, responded to this review, 27 October 2010
Dear Changlhmd,

Thank you for taking a moment to share your experiences at the Iroquois Hotel. I am truly pleased to hear you found our staff accommodating for your requests. I do apologize for the delay in the arrival of your continental breakfast. Just this week we switched from a buffet to served continental breakfast and this may have been the reason for the service delay. I am addressing this with our restaurant staff to avoid any future inconvenience and I am truly sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused.
Our restaurant is an award-winning Zagat rated restaurant and I am pleased to hear your enjoyed your dinner with us.
We look forward to your return and thank you again for sharing your experience.

Shreveport, LA
Reviewed 26 October 2010

We had an excellent experience with this botique hotel in New York. Perfect location, clean rooms and not too small for New York. The staff was very helpful, especially the concierge, Nick. He went out of his way to help with reservations, etc. The only negative aspect of our stay was that our room was not ready by 3:00 as promised, but overall this is an excellent hotel and I would stay there again.

Good Morning,

Thank you for taking a moment to share your experience at the Iroquois Hotel. I am truly pleased to hear of your overall impression of our hotel and the service we provide. I have shared your kind words with Nick, our Concierge. I do apologize for the delay in having your room available and have addressed this with our housekeeping staff. We do everything possible to have rooms available for check in as soon as they are ready to be serviced.
We look forward to your return visit!

The Iroquois New York
Massachusetts
Reviewed 10 October 2010

Luxurious, small but very comfortable room, nice amenities of a top hotel, free internet, lovely bed with great sheets. As nice as I could have asked for. One slightly odd thing -- seemed like the room, and sheets, were just a touch humid. Not wet or unpleasant, just not quite how I would have chosen.

Staff was unfailingly helpful, friendly and adaptable to my requests.

I had booked a cheaper, much less nice place for the weekend. The other place was unsleepably loud, so at 6am I started calling around to see who had a room available for early (very early!) checkin. Iroquois had some good last-minute rates online. They were kiind enough to let me in early for the next night (early like 8am!) so I got a little rest in the morning, and then a good sleep the night I'd booked.

Would definitely go back at the discounted rate; would be reasonable at the higher rate but is above my usual budget.

Stayed September 2010, travelled solo
IroquoisFrontDesk, Front Office Manager at The Iroquois New York, responded to this review, 12 October 2010
Thank you very much for your detailed review. Please know we take these comments into account as we are constantly improving and upgrading our product and service. I am very pleased to know you enjoyed your stay with us, and we hope to be able to welcome you back shortly. Thanks again.

coral gables, fl
Reviewed 6 October 2010

I was looking forward to staying at this hotel as the reviews were very positive. However, on balance our weekend stay was disappointing.

The good:
Location
Frette linens
Chocolates and welcome wine
Complimentary coffee and fruit flavored water in the lobby

The bad:
When we arrived it was raining, and there was nobody in front to help us with our bags. In fact, the bellman from the next door hotel, The City Club, took the bags out of the cab for us. Then, we just carried our own bags up the stairs into the hotel as we did not want to wait outside in the rain for a bellman.

Windows do not have sound proofing....on fifth floor over 44 St. lots of horns, sirens and early morning garbage truck pickup noise.

Our deluxe room for over $400 per night was really small and claustrophobic as was the bathroom. The tub had mold around the edge, not a pretty sight. Other hotels we have stayed at in the 4 star category such as The Michelangelo, London, NYC and the Regency offer larger rooms in the deluxe category for a similar price.

But, my biggest gripe was the negative interaction we had with the check in staff, particularly Alex. When we arrived at 3 pm to check in, our room was not ready. Since check in time is 3 pm, we asked if we could please have another room since ours was not ready. We were told that they were full, and there were no other rooms. We were told that the previous guests in our room #504 had just checked out at 2:30 and the housekeepers were just now cleaning it. My husband said "If check in time is 3:00 and the room was blocked out for us, why did these guests leave at 2:30. Alex said they had a late checkout and were late leaving the room. My husband said that if the room was blocked out why would they be given a late check out and Alex said "Do you think we should never give anyone a late check out? Would you have us kick these guests out?" This was not the point! His answer was certainly not apologetic and actually quite rude. The room was ready about 25 minutes later....not such a big deal, but they did not handle this in a professional nor cordial manner.

I am a retired travel agent, and I could never recommend this hotel to friends or clients.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
IroquoisFrontDesk, Front Office Manager at The Iroquois New York, responded to this review, 7 October 2010
I am deeply sorry for the recent experience you had at our hotel. It is rare that we receive negative feedback of which you have mentioned on your tripadvisor review. Our success is built on several factors like location, cleanliness, most of all, our service. We take a lot of pride in making guest feel at home and this is the reason we have such a high percentage of repeat guests. Based on your review, the quality of service you encountered is unacceptable. We definitely do not want to leave you with this impression of our hotel. Please feel free to contact me directly if you plan on visiting NYC in the near future and I will personally see to it that we not only meet but exceed your expectations.

Antonio Alfama
Director of Front Office
Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed 4 October 2010

In decades of travel I have rarely found such warm, welcoming, accommodating service! From a personal greeting at the check-in desk (especially appreciated after a delayed flight, late arrival, and driver who had dropped me at the wrong hotel!), to a bellman (Arial) who remembered my name, to the desk clerk (Iva) who let me stay a few minutes over after an important business meeting, to the concierge (Nick) who arranged my return trip to Laguardia, to Arial's farewell at the departing limo, all of the service was personal and with a smile. When I called two weeks later to ask for a receipt copy, they remembered the details of my work in NY and faxed the receipt within minutes.

The room and bath were completely refurbished, comfortable, and quiet, though a tad small if you had two people staying. My room service breakfast came just on time, based on my requiest the previous evening. It was more than ample, with a huge bowl of ceral, fresh fruit, and giant bagle. The Iroquois' location is superb, just a few blocks from MOMA and all of the delights of 5th Avenue. My business meeting was near the East River, about a mile and a half away, and an easy cab ride. Do allow extra time, however, if you are in that part of town when the UN General Assembly is in session, as it was when I visited. Gridlock does occur!

After my business meeting, I had an entire afternoon to roam the city. When I returned, I settled in the hotel's cozy library to check my flight on the computers and print out my boarding pass. I then settled down to read the paper until my airport limo arrived.

My only complaint was that the room AC could not be controlled by the guest, but the bellman came up and closed the vents so that cold air would not circulate all night.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
IroquoisFrontDesk, Front Office Manager at The Iroquois New York, responded to this review, 24 October 2010
Thank you very much for your favorable review of the Iroquois. We know the small details make a positive difference in our guests' stays, and we are please these details were not overlooked by you. We hope to welcome you back shortly.
Regards,