“It is what it is”

Ranked #362 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Cambridge, MA
“It is what it is”
Reviewed 3 February 2014

Stayed overnight at this Comfort Inn and can report that the room is clean, the staff is friendly, the bed is comfortable and the bathroom is clean. Everything works as advertised. No frills, but not bad in any way. Breakfast is served though I skipped it. Looked good though. Great neighborhood. Temperature was a little hard to keep comfortable. With the heat on even low, it was too warm and off the room was cold and it was not that cold out.

Room Tip: Don't book ahead. If you wait until a couple of days before you will find a better price. I wa...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank wabitop

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed 1 February 2014 via mobile

If I could give half stars, I'd actually give this place 3.5 stars, but I couldn't quite give it 4. It's comfortable - it is the Comfort Inn, after all - but if I was travelling under my own steam, I think I'd head somewhere else. I was visiting for business for a week, and it's perfectly fine as a place to crash if you're note spending much time there. Room was rather cold on first entering, but once the heat is on, it's pretty toasty. Decent sized room, big comfortable bed, wifi - not much to complain about. Breakfast had plenty of options, but it was all served in styrofoam and plastic - not great.

For me though, the best aspect was the location. This is in one of my favourite parts of New York - around the corner from Eataly and the original Shake Shack; away from the hustle and bustle of touristy Times Sq (yet not too far from it if you want to catch a Broadway show); and in the middle of one of the best foodie locations in town. Subway is just a couple of blocks away in each direction.

Wouldn't be disappointed to stay here again on business or if I was on a budget.

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank empress_joanna
Leighton Buzzard, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 January 2014

We stayed at the Comfort Inn from Dec 20-29 2013 and had a lovely stay, The staff are very helpful and friendly, The breakfast is just what you want with out pigging out on to much food, It is clean tidy and comfortable, Nice easy access to all the main streets so we will be staying there again for sure.

Chas &Heda

Room Tip: Road facing is the best as you get a nearly full view of the Empire state building.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank chas j
Reviewed 26 December 2013 via mobile

I enjoyed staying here. It certainly is not a fancy, high end hotel, but it is nice and clean. We were only in our room to shower and sleep, so we really didn't need a large and fancy room any way. We arrived at 10:30am and they offered to hold our bags until check in! That was great because we didn't want to be stuck lugging them around all day. The free breakfast was good. They offer cereal, bagels, danishes, eggs, sausage, waffles, coffee, and juices. We definitely took advantage of that. Again, it was nothing fancy, but it was a light, quick meal to start our day until we were ready for lunch. This hotel is located in a good area and close to the subway, which was a nice. The only minor complaint that I has was that the walls were paper thin. We stayed on room 1107 and I could hear what was going on next door. It didn't bother me much since I only heard the other room while we were getting ready for the day, etc. the bathroom was small too. My husband and I couldn't both be in there getting ready at the same time. But again, no big deal! They also had a full length mirror on the closet door which was great. A woman needs a full length mirror! We would definitely stay here again.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Reese5033
Maine
Reviewed 16 December 2013

I booked this place for the weekend based on the reviews here. I was looking for something affordable in the city for three single ladies. I happened on this place which offers a room with 3 single beds - unheard of. It was the funniest room I had ever seen - reminded us of Goldilocks and the three bears! It is on the 11 th floor, good view of the church across the street and a peak of the Empire State Building. The room is very small - you have to step out of the way to let another person pass but has a small fridge,safe, desk and chair. The bathroom is tiny and reminded me of one you might have on a cruise ship. We got a Friday night price of $188.00. Just can't find that in NYC! Room was clean, service was adequate and the location can't be beat with access to subway only a couple of blocks. Felt safe and it was quiet for sleeping. Will stay here again next time.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank traveleralso
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed 27 November 2013

We were very pleasantly surprised by our stay at the Comfort Inn Chelsea this past weekend. It was clean, the staff friendly and the location perfect for our needs (several subway stops within a few minutes walk). Our room (604) was large for a hotel in this price range in Manhattan. The wifi internet signal in our room was strong and fast, something that has often been iffy in other Manhattan hotels. The bed was very comfortable and I slept well. I am particular about my beds and often cannot sleep well in hotels with bad beds.

On the downside, the corridors are starting to show wear. However, the room interiors are quite nice and have been well maintained and CLEAN. The breakfast is a hot breakfast, with the usual continental offerings, in addition to the scrambled eggs (instant) and sausage. I'm not a waffle fan, but after trying "the make your own hot waffle," I had a waffle each morning in addition to the eggs. If you don't like instant scrambled eggs, they also offer hard boiled eggs (peeled).

All in all, this is a very nice hotel and we will return to it the next time we go in NYC.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank adongeorge
Amsterdam
Reviewed 25 November 2013

In September 2013 I stayed at the Chelsea Inn for 5 nights. The location is great, on Broadway, the subway is nearby, the room was big enough for me and my friend, the bed was comfortable, the cleaning staff was kind and they made the rooms tidy and clean. Our window was right across a wall, but how cares when you are in Manhattan. It was quiet at night and there was free wifi. There's also breakfast included, which was fine. Eggs, bread, bagels, pancake maker, juice, coffee etc. The hotel staff wasn't all the nice (except for the two concierges, they were present at breakfast as well, and the cleaning staff). There is one concierge who is REALLY nice, he really get's the whole concept of guests. I believe his name was Andy, but I should have written it down for this review... The front desk staff was not nice, almost rude. They hardly welcomed us when we arrived, he just asked for my last name and dropped down two room keys. Nothing more. I noticed more than once that they were rude and almost denigrating to the concierge, which he really did NOT deserve, because he was the nice guy over there.

Anyhow, all together this is a fine hotel for a city trip. Clean, good location, nice beds, quiet, free wifi and breakfast. What more can you need?

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends