“Superb service, subtle elegance”

The Carlyle, A Rosewood Hotel
Ranked #285 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 9 February 2008

I spent four nights in a 1 bedroom suite. I had first booked a Superior Room, but upon arrival found it too small for my needs, so I upgraded right away, with gracious assistance from management. The suite was quietly luxurious, with very comfortable bed, lovely linens, etc. It was so quiet it was hard to believe I was in nyc. The service during my entire stay was truly superb, from the front desk to the housekeeper. They are discrete, but warm, and very competent. I find this increasingly rare in hotels and what a joy to find it here. I also disagree with an earlier reviewer, who complained about the manned elevators - I like them, not just for the extra service, but for security. Only complaint is cost of all the small things - I spent a few hundred dollars on bottled water before I realized the price. A simple breakfast ran around $50. The hotel also lacks a spa, which they are now planning. They sent an outside person to my room to do a pedicure - it was just fair, and $150. Ouch. But these things did not detract from my overall experience - life should always go as smoothly as it does when you're a guest at the Carlyle.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled on business
5  Thank Bebe38

Reviewed 28 October 2007

Reasonably high expectations but v.dissapointed. $700 + $100 in taxes a night for a very small Room with no view and dark is a rip-off. It was clean but old wardrobes and bedroom furniture. Very small and cramped bathroom with keihls toiletaries. Elevators have operators but they are small and slow. Bemelmans bar expensive but nice. Cafe Carlyle small, nice decor, Woody Allen a waste of money and all in all $600 for hear Woody and have a poor meal was a complete rip-off. Stayed in a lot of NYC hotels this was the worst. This is not a complaint against the staff who were fine, but really against a tired, shabby old hotel that is living on some historic reputation but really needs a complete refurb.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled as a couple
9  Thank rembahn
Reviewed 13 September 2007

I stayed at the Carlyle back in July for a mother-daughter trip.
This was during a time when most hotels in NYC were booked for a shoe convention.
I called about 1 a.m. in the morning (I was to depart from RDU at 7 a.m.) and they found a room for me.
It was awesome.
It was more of an apartment than a hotel room.
As my mother and I didn't want to get on each other's nerves, we really needed our space.
We stayed in a suite that had two bathrooms, one large bed room, a living room and two closets.
The staff was awesome. When my mother and I went for a walk and didn't want to carry the umbrella for the next few blocks, we handed it to the door man, who said that he'd make sure that it'd be in the room. It was.
Also, you are welcomed with a platter of fresh fruit, cheese and truffles. Wonderful presentation!
Also, the breakfast was awesome. My mother is still talking about hte blueberry muffins. They have a type of crust on the top. The coffee was great too. We stayed at the hotel for about five days; so folks started to know who we were.
We also had tea there too. There's a quaint tea room off from the main lobby.
I had only a couple of issues:
1. I think guests should get a break on paying cover charge at the restaurant/bar. We enjoyed a great jazz performance in the main lounge.
2. The concierge desk was always super busy. They needed more than one person handling things. Also, this isn't a good place to get Broadway tickets. Apparently, if you book it through them, it'll cost you almost three-times the rate. The concierge explained that there is an additional charge for booking tickets through the hotel. We found it easier just to go to the box office and get the tickets ourselves.
Also, this hotel is in a super quiet neighborhood. I didn't feel like I was in a city. And the hotel did a wonderful job of making sure that the drapes and the shades were extra thick to block out the sun.
Mom and I also walked to the local museums - The Whitney is right in the neighborhood. And of course shopping on Madison.
I loved the white glove service. In the elevator, the staff touches the buttons.
Also, don't forget to go to the drugstore across the street - Zitomers. It's a real treat. Only in NYC can you find Pucci scarves at the local pharmacy.
Though a bit pricey, it was a great place and I loved it.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with family
5  Thank GardenDebNC
Reviewed 3 September 2007

Like staying at your wealthy aunts apartment. Some of the rooms are a bit to quite dated, though the hotel is going through a top to bottom room re-do. If you want personal, caring, prompt service, there is no better place in NYC.

The beds are the best, the hotel is quiet, and the hotel will do just about anything to make your stay pleasant. From the concierge to the doormen, maids to front desk, package room to engineering, the staff are all career hotel professionals. The best for business or pleasure.

If you want a tourist scene or Four Seasons-like modern digs, look elsewhere. If you are a celebrity and want to be left alone, there is no place better.

It's expensive, but sophisticated luxury usually is.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled on business
5  Thank Scwufm
Reviewed 28 August 2007

This is a fabulous hotel that offers a haven of peace and tranquillity -- especially after a day of hitting the New York shops. I was travelling with my teenage daughter and her friend and they fell in love with the understated luxury of the Carlyle. In fact, they said that if they could live in the beautiful two- bedroom suite we were given on the 27th floor they'd be happy for the rest of their lives!
As well as two large bedrooms and three bathrooms, we had a lounge -- complete with baby grand piano-- and a kitchen. The picture window offered the most magnificent panorama of Manhattan's skyline. Each night, it felt as if we were coming home to our own apartment.
Such luxury obviously comes at a price -- but this is a hotel steeped in history. John F Kennedy , the Princess of Wales and Mick Jagger are just a few of the legendary names who've been frequent visitors.
The Cafe Carlyle is a legend in its own right and the knowledge that Woody Allen often strolls in to play his clarinet with his jazz band is spine tingling!
The hotel is on Madison Avenue -- brilliant for walking to some of the smartest shops in town. It's also just a stone's throw from most of the big museums, and a block from Central Park where you can cool off in August.
We felt pampered and cared for at the Carlyle. The concierges are simply fantastic and are willing to help with your every request and need. They saved us from some of the camera sharks on Times Square and directed us to a wonderful camera shop where we were given excellent service and value.
We'd go back like a shot. It was simply perfect -- you just need to convince yourselves that you deserve a treat!

Stayed: August 2007
1  Thank Jennie_Keltz
Reviewed 16 August 2007

We stayed at the Carlyle as part of a weeding party. Fortunately we had a discounted rate for about $375.00. The rooms have some nice appointments i.e. glass showers. I thought the room was fine for this price, however, I understand that normally these rooms go for $600.00 at which point I think I might be upset. Our room although nice, was small, with very little walking room which is not a big deal. Some of the things I had issue with. Room service tacks on a $15.00 surcharge for anything you order. My husband's cheeseburger which initally cost $25.00 ended up costing $40.00. The bar is also quite overpriced. We ordered a vodka tonic which was $18.00. Even by New York standards, that's a bit steep. The TV cable constantly went out. It's rare that it worked properly. An interesting feature of this hotel is that they still have bellmen operating the elevators. Frankly, this is an absurd practice for this hotel because the elevators are very tiny. They comfortably hold about 4 people. The bellmen take up valuable space to perform a needless, if not pretentious, task of pushing buttons. I found riding up and down to the 23rd floor to be a somewhat akward experience with these men who I doubt have any job satisfaction performing this ridiculous function in a claustrophobic space. My recomndation to the hotel would be to eliminate some of the antiquated services they provide and make the hotel rooms and service fees more reasonably priced

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled on business
4  Thank reddyn
Reviewed 6 July 2007

I have been staying at the Carlyle for years. I love this hotel more than any in the City. I have recently been charmed by the new rooms and always consistent service. In the past four years NY has lost so many hotel rooms to condo conversions, which makes it very difficult to get a room anywhere. The Carlyle still acts like they have competition and continues to put forth the effort to win and retain customer loyalty. I find the Carlyle is the best of the best in all areas of service, personal touches and care for their customers. It truly feels like I have a home in NYC, not a hotel room. The more you return, the more the staff gets to know you and things just happen. When I arrive for breakfast, they know me, my double cappucino arrives without asking and Norbert works hard to make everything perfect. Bemelman's Bar is truly an historic place that still is great fun. Great crowd and Tue-Sat Loston Harris treo plays amazing jazz. Heads of state to captains of industry all know this great hotel is the most luxurious and discreet.

Mr. James McBride runs a the hotel with a keen eye for service and expects perfection from his staf, this hotel truly operates on a five star level of excellence.

Stayed: June 2007