“Lovely hotel, wonderful service”

The Carlyle, A Rosewood Hotel
Ranked #232 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Palo Alto, California, United States
“Lovely hotel, wonderful service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2013

We arrived this evening but I thought I would write a review while I have the time. Our room is spacious, clean and elegant. We had a few minor needs (cable, ice, extra bedding) and the staff has responded very quickly and efficiently. The location is terrific. We are looking forward to a few more days at the Carlyle.
And, the Keihl's amenities are a great luxury.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Giovanni_Beretta, General Manager at The Carlyle, A Rosewood Hotel, responded to this review, 19 December 2013
I speak for the entire staff when I say thank you for staying with us during your recent visit. I can only hope that we will be able to welcome you again in the not so distant future.

Managing Director

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Atlanta, Georgia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2013

Toilet ran water. Called four times. No one seemed to understand the problem. Returned from the theater to find a portable toilet in our room!! $700 a night for a portable toilet!!
No washcloths in room.
Had to call maintenance because the safe didn't work.
Could not rest in the afternoon because the next room hosted a trunk show. Very loud.
No one from management ever called to see if our problems were resolved.
Very bad experience!!

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
7 Thank Atlanta1002013
Please allow me to extend to you my most sincere apologies for the many inconveniences you experienced during your stay. I have reviewed these issues with the appropriate departments and we are working on steps to prevent these types of issues from happening again.

We would be honored to speak with you further regarding your experience. You may ask for my office directly or reach out to our Director of Operations, Massimiliano Puglisi, at +1 212 570 7163 or massimiliano.puglisi@rosewoodhotels.com.

Warmest regards,
+1 212 570 7187
Belo Horizonte, MG
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2013

Charming, elegant. Located in the best region of Manhattan, close to the central park... the only problem was the size of the standard room, that could be bigger.... I didn't tried the Spa but it looked superb!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank juliana v
Thank you for staying with us and I hope we will see you again on your next trip to New York. Hopefully you will be able to experience our spa next time.

San Diego, CA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2013

It's not clear what exactly is going on at this formerly venerable establishment, but it is clear that the staff is not overwhelmed, stressed which is played out in confusion, frustration and anger. Perhaps the Carlyle is undergoing some sort of management reorganization and the staff is being left to run amok without skilled supervision.The problems seem mainly to exist with the dining room staff where there is a complete disregard for pleasing the patron. When my friend and I were seated for dinner our first night there, a woman sitting next to us stated that she had been waiting for half an hour for a menu. She mentioned this to us when the bread basket was delivered to her table followed a minute later by her entree. This should have been a tip off. We were mis-directed to the bar vs. Carlyle Cafe. The following morning, I was publicly threatened by the Maitre D' and told sharply, finger in face "not to complain" following a private comment I made to my friend. Later the Maitre D' apologized, but said he was "stressed" because he had 100+ patrons to serve. He did not seem to understand that stress did not justify his behavior. While waiting for a table. When my friend asked if there might be more eggs coming to the buffet table, she was told sharply by a wait person that people were busy in the kitchen and it would come when it came. We were excited to experience the Carlyle. Bemmelman's Bar was a delight, but the sadly the rest of the experience could only be termed nightmarish. We could not wait to get out.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank stevieBSanDiego
I am always disappointed when issues arise with one of our guests during their stay. Our team strives to make each and every visit to the hotel a most pleasant and memorable one. The issues you experienced are inexcusable, and I hope you will accept my sincerest apologies.

If you would like to discuss the issues further, we would be honored to speak with you. You may ask for my office directly or reach out to our Director of Operations, Massimiliano Puglisi, at +1 212 570 7163 or massimiliano.puglisi@rosewoodhotels.com.

+1 212 570 7187
Buffalo, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2013

Stayed just for a weekend. An elegant, quiet escape in the middle of one of the great areas of NYC. Would recommend to anyone wanting to stay on the upper East Side. Expensive but worth it if one needs to relax a little between exciting NYC attractions.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Steve41130
Giovanni_Beretta, General Manager at The Carlyle, A Rosewood Hotel, responded to this review, 17 December 2013
I speak for the entire staff when I say thank you for staying with us during your recent visit. I am happy to hear that we provided you with a relaxing weekend while taking in New York City’s sights. I hope we will see you again on your next trip to the Big Apple.

Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2013

I love visiting the Carlyle as a legendary hotel in New York. My room was remodeled and being on a high floor offered wonderful views on central park. Service was very attentive. It was a little bit odd to have someone from the staff inside the elevator to push the button and sing the number of the floor you are reaching. Restaurant prices are high but room service are outrageous! More than $60 for a burger (once you add all the charges...) seems a bit too much for me! Just went across the street to Jean Georges and had one for $29.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
6 Thank RoyalTraveler44
Thank you for staying with us during your trip to New York and for taking the time to provide us with your feedback, from the views you experienced in your accommodation to our food and beverage pricing. It is my firm belief that guest feedback is essential to our organization’s success.

Thanks again and I hope we will be able to welcome you again during your next visit to the city.

London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2013

Staying at the Carlyle is like stepping back in time. PErfectly preserved it exudes the true elegance of the Upper East Side. Monday nights with Woody Allen and his Jazz Band. Not to mention the finest cocktails.. I defy anyone to find a better Old Fashioned in the city. Perfectly appointed rooms and exceptional service.

Room Tip: I prefer to have a Madison Avenue facing room on as high a floor as possible.