“A Unique, Excellent Hotel for a New York Weekend”

The Carlyle, A Rosewood Hotel
Ranked #252 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
“A Unique, Excellent Hotel for a New York Weekend”
Reviewed 19 December 2013

Despite the the fact that this is an older property that does not overwhelm in any physical sense, our stay there was memorable, and I would say singular, for its attentive but not intrusive service, and simple, wonderful elegance that made us feel amazingly comfortable and at home. It is the best staff I have encountered anywhere in the world, helpful, knowledgable and kind. The location is just right, and our youngest son will always remember the walk from the C to the Museum of Natural History through Central Park in the Snow. There are less expensive places to stay, and we certainly cannot stay at the C on consistent basis, but, for a time when you want things done the right way, this is the place.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Giovanni_Beretta, General Manager at The Carlyle, A Rosewood Hotel, responded to this review, 15 January 2014
I would like to thank you and your family for recently staying with us. I have shared your kind words with our entire staff as I know they are just as pleased as I am to hear about memorable moments created while visiting New York City.

Managing Director

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Los Osos, California, United States
Reviewed 18 December 2013

Spent my birthday here and found it as luxurious as ever. First class service, wonderful decor, friendly staff who were always there to help, and Belmelman's Bar fun and lively, with good music. All very pricey, but, hey, this is New York at its finest! Can't wait to go back again.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Giovanni_Beretta, General Manager at The Carlyle, A Rosewood Hotel, responded to this review, 19 December 2013
I am always happy when The Carlyle is able to play a part in our guests’ lives, like for your birthday. I speak for the entire hotel when I say; we look forward to having you with us again.

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 December 2013

This luxurious hotel is still delightful to stay at.
It offers old-fashioned charm & total comfort but it is very expensive.
The location is excellent, being right on Madison Avenue - and near Central Park, so you can easily walk to many places from the hotel.
Some of the staff have worked there for years.
The Spa is fabulous, with really well trained beauty therapists.
The Consierge is staffed by very helpful and knowledgeable people.
The only drawback was that we had to wait ages to be served every time we went for a snack or tea/drinks as there clearly are not enough staff working, at this busy time of year (December). And there was seldom a manger around to check on this.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
I am so glad to hear about the delightful stay you had with us recently. Although I hope you can accept my sincere apologies regarding the long wait times you experienced in our food and beverage outlets. I have addressed these issues with the appropriate departments.

Thank you so much for staying with us and I hope we will see you again.

Abuja, Nigeria
Reviewed 9 December 2013

I had a nice stay at the carlyle. we had a good size room with ample wardrobe space and Its in a great location.I will love to see a newer bathroom with a bigger tub and his and hers sinks though.
overall, great stay, great staff and good food.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you so much for taking the time to provide us with your feedback and for staying with us on your recent trip to New York.

Palo Alto, California, United States
Reviewed 28 November 2013

We arrived this evening but I thought I would write a review while I have the time. Our room is spacious, clean and elegant. We had a few minor needs (cable, ice, extra bedding) and the staff has responded very quickly and efficiently. The location is terrific. We are looking forward to a few more days at the Carlyle.
And, the Keihl's amenities are a great luxury.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
I speak for the entire staff when I say thank you for staying with us during your recent visit. I can only hope that we will be able to welcome you again in the not so distant future.

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 15 November 2013

Toilet ran water. Called four times. No one seemed to understand the problem. Returned from the theater to find a portable toilet in our room!! $700 a night for a portable toilet!!
No washcloths in room.
Had to call maintenance because the safe didn't work.
Could not rest in the afternoon because the next room hosted a trunk show. Very loud.
No one from management ever called to see if our problems were resolved.
Very bad experience!!

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
7 Thank Atlanta1002013
Please allow me to extend to you my most sincere apologies for the many inconveniences you experienced during your stay. I have reviewed these issues with the appropriate departments and we are working on steps to prevent these types of issues from happening again.

We would be honored to speak with you further regarding your experience. You may ask for my office directly or reach out to our Director of Operations, Massimiliano Puglisi, at +1 212 570 7163 or massimiliano.puglisi@rosewoodhotels.com.

Warmest regards,
+1 212 570 7187
Belo Horizonte, MG
Reviewed 11 November 2013

Charming, elegant. Located in the best region of Manhattan, close to the central park... the only problem was the size of the standard room, that could be bigger.... I didn't tried the Spa but it looked superb!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank juliana v
Thank you for staying with us and I hope we will see you again on your next trip to New York. Hopefully you will be able to experience our spa next time.