“Upper Crust”

The Carlyle, A Rosewood Hotel
Ranked #256 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 11 June 2014

Check in was seamless at the multilingual front desk. Our room was huge with TWO walk in closets, maid service TWICE a day, "you can hear a pin drop" quiet rooms, and excellent location for shopping, walking in Central Park, museums, and restaurants. We went to hear singer/actress Megan Hilty in the Café, and she was fabulous, but the food was average at best, and in my opinion, if the waiters have to ask you to move your chair every ten seconds so they can negotiate the landscape --- then it's TOO CROWDED! Checking out with our car in the adjacent parking garage was a bit clumsy. Lastly, it is overpriced, if only because you can get the same for half the price. However, that being said, we like the Carlyle and we'd return.

Room Tip: All the rooms are good.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank rozfineart
Giovanni_Beretta, General Manager at The Carlyle, A Rosewood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2014

Thank you so much for staying with us on your recent visit to New York. I very much agree with you regarding our location as it allows you to be able within walking distance to great shopping, world-class museums and, of course, Central Park. In addition, I would like to apologize for the issues you experienced with the parking garage next door and while dining in the Café Carlyle Your feedback is absolutely essential to this hotel’s overall success.

Thank you again and I look forward to welcoming you back in the not so distant future.

There are newer reviews for The Carlyle, A Rosewood Hotel

Reviewed 2 June 2014

Have just completed a four-night stay at the Carlyle. The experience was excellent in all respects, and I have no hesitation in recommending the hotel. What distinguishes it above all is the sense of discrete, refined luxury. This creates a air of quiet contentment which is a welcome relief from the hustle and bustle outside the revolving doors. The decor is understated and elegant, witness the lobby and elevator area. My room was spacious, well planned, with a comfortable bed, and well stocked bathroom (bathtub and separate walk-in shower). Despite being directly on Madison, the room was remarkably quiet, so I had the best sleep on a two-week tour of the US.

Bemelman's Bar is an institution both for residents of NYC and visitors, and should absolutely not be missed. The decor and atmosphere is unique.

Staff, from the elevator attendants, to the bar, restaurant, and concierge, were unfailingly pleasant and attentive.

For those who have no need of see-and-be-seen, noise or bling, this is a perfect address in New York.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

On behalf of the entire Carlyle hotel staff, I would like to thank you for the kind words expressed in your review. I have shared it with our various departments and they were just as pleased as I was to receive such complimentary words.

Thank you for allowing us to be your “home away from home” while in New York and I look forward to welcoming in the not so distant future.

Reviewed 30 May 2014

The Carlyle is a high-class, very traditional hotel, now managed by the Rosewood chain, that added to it an impeccable service. Its location, next to the best NYC museums and art galleries, to some very special restaurants and on Madison Ave in a very nice area, gives you the comfort of quietude and a presence in the world. Its bar is maybe one of the best in NYC and the Carlyle Café, where you can dine at the sound of very good music is superb.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are exceptional
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for your kind words and for choosing to stay with us while in New York. I am in absolute agreement that our location is ideal for anyone wishing for access to the city’s museums and art galleries. I hope we will be able to welcome you back to The Carlyle in the not so distant future.

Reviewed 4 May 2014

My fiancee and I disagree on this one, but I think the Carlyle is an overpriced, stuffy antique. It's very formal, and sitting down for breakfast in the hotel restaurant/cafe is like having dinner on Downton Abbey. My other half explains that this is the point.

The rooms were nice, but we were paying 1k a night for a small suite that had windows with a view of a wall(inside). No terrace or view out, and we were there almost a week. I finally told my fiancee that we had to change hotels because I was losing my marbles.

The bed was too soft for me, and the decor fo the room felt very old (although not out of place).

Great gym staff, they have a trainer on duty who offers to help and guide you, pretty cool.

The quality of the food was great, but a boring menu with few options.

We saw Neil Young check out of the hotel along with what appeared to be a significant percentage of the Saudi royal family.

Hector, the manager was sharp as a tack and extremely helpful. He helped us switch rooms early in the stay and took care of several personal issues my fiancee and I had.

The only real negative that I can stand behind, besides the price (and hey, its NYC) is the water. There is(was) construction outside and maybe it was connected but on our last day my fiancee took a bath. She put in some bubble bath, so it was foamy. She didnt realize until she get in the water, but it was brown. And then the water that came out of the faucet was brown. After 30 seconds it cleared up. Disgusting. We called down to the front desk to inform them, and they said they would look into it. No one ever called us back(but we did check out 2 hours later). i also told the front desk about it whenI was checking out, but it was a hurried check out and we left quickly, so maybe they didn't have time to address.

Room Tip: If you are staying for a few days, spend the money and get a room that looks outward.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Crabjunkie

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. It saddens me to hear that you plan on not returning to the hotel on your next visit. I can only hope you will accept my sincerest apologies for the inconveniences and disappointments you experienced during your stay from the lack of follow-up on an issue from our staff to the menu options offered in our dining outlets. It is simply inexcusable and I have reviewed your comments with our team who are currently addressing the issues.

If you wish to discuss further, we would be honored to speak with you regarding your stay. You may ask for my office directly or reach out to our Director of Operations, Massimiliano Puglisi, at 212.570.7163 or massimiliano.puglisi@rosewoodhotels.com.

Warmest regards,
(212) 570-7187

Reviewed 26 April 2014 via mobile

After escaping from a bad home away rental we found ourselves at the Carlyle for a wonderful birthday and anniversary week in March. The Carlyle is an old-fashioned hotel in many ways, perhaps best exemplified by the small elevators with gracious, formally uniformed operators. But our room was lovely and the level of attentive service from all of the hotel staff was consistently spectacular.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank HMac_2013
Giovanni_Beretta, General Manager at The Carlyle, A Rosewood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

Thank you for staying with us back in March. I’m happy we were able to play a part during your wonderful anniversary and birthday week. I have shared your kind comments to our entire staff. I know they will be just as pleased as I am to receive such complimentary words. We look forward to welcoming you in the near future.

Reviewed 11 April 2014

Everything about this hotel is 5 star . The check in experience , concierge , breakfast , flower arrangements and bar. Large traditionally furnished bedroom, quiet and very comfortable, bathroom and amenities were first class.
Beautifully prepared fresh fruit and the only good scrambled egg from a buffet that I've ever had ! You can order a la carte too.
The bar has atmosphere and live music . This is an elegant hotel about 15 blocks north of Central Park South and very close to the park itself and the Metropolitan and Frick Galleries.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo

Our staff prides itself on extending only the highest levels of quality, service and hospitality and I therefore, take great pride in sharing your very kind comments with them. Thank you and we look forward to welcoming you back in the not so distant future.

Reviewed 6 April 2014

The Carlyle is perfectly described in the other reviews... beautiful, discreet, quiet, peaceful and elegant. I recently returned from a 4 night stay with my two children, ages 10 and 12.

We had just spent a week in London (Athenaeum Hotel) and the differences were interesting. The Athenaeum had wonderful, inexpensive touches for the children... an afternoon delivery of cookies and milk, a concierge to suggest child appropriate activities, etc. I am definitely not looking for child-pandering and my children are quite comfortable in an adult environment, however, a Carlyle-initiated touch of fun would have added to their visit. I was also troubled that an addition of a cot to my room would cost an extra $75 per night. Given the room rate, this seemed like a bit of a nuisance charge.

The hotel was an amazing treat for me, however, my children were ambivalent. I wish that they would have loved it as they loved the hotel in London.

Room Tip: We had a superior room on the 9th floor (Room 914). It was spacious (probably about 500 sf), had a...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank TexasTram

I would like to sincerely thank you for your feedback regarding the need for the hotel to address our smaller guests, as well as the rollaway fee. It is greatly appreciated.

I can only hope that we will see you again on your next visit to the city.