“Civilized”

Ranked #249 of 466 Hotels in New York City
Westchester, NY
“Civilized”
Reviewed 9 July 2014

White-gloved elevator staff lends an unusual ambience to this NYC historic hotel. Immaculate quiet and comfortable rooms except for some water damage cracks in walls. Water pressure in shower was minimal. Loved the free daily newspapers delivered to your door, plush robes, Kiehls toiletries, free wifi and water bottles. Buffet breakfast has all you could ask for although specialty eggs are extra. Expensive but worth it for a special treat. Great location to UES museums particularly the Metropolitan.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank APBWestchester_NY
Giovanni_Beretta, General Manager at The Carlyle, A Rosewood Hotel, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
Thank you for staying with us recently. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your visit as a special treat. Although I hope you can accept my sincere apologies regarding the low water pressure and the condition of your room’s walls. I have addressed these issues with the appropriate departments.

I hope we will be able to welcome you back in the not so distant future.

Managing Director

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
London
Reviewed 7 July 2014

I just love the Carlyle. It is real old fashioned service, still with men in the lift, ready with a smile and a positive word every time you get in. You can't help but have a bounce in your step everyday when you stay here. The same staff have been here for years, and greet you by name every day.
The beds are the best I have ever slept in. Like a big firm hug! The bathroom is old world glamour of mirrors and marble, but with a bath and shower to die for. A wonderful range of Kiehls products, including lip balm, shaving foam for the men, creme de corps body lotion, and wonderful soap, shower gel, shampoo etc. all replenished twice a day if necessary.
Best breakfast ever. Buffet is wonderful. Everything is kept fresh and tastes amazing. Or you can order a la carte. The eggs benedict, the pancakes and lobster omelette all recommended.
The bar at night has great atmosphere and is a real New York stalwart.
Location is amazing for uptown shopping, Central Park and the Met. I really feel like I am living the New York dream when I stay here.
I always have a room in the tower between floor 27-33. These are smaller rooms, but the views are magic. Definitely recommended.

Room Tip: It has to be in the tower.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank loulou410
Giovanni_Beretta, General Manager at The Carlyle, A Rosewood Hotel, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Thank you for your continued support of The Carlyle. Our staff prides itself on extending only the highest levels of quality, service and hospitality and I therefore, take great pride in sharing your very kind comments with them.

I speak for the entire staff at The Carlyle when I say; we look forward to welcoming you back to your New York “home away from home.”

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Reviewed 28 June 2014

My husband and I stayed here for our twenty-fifth anniversary trip to NYC. I loved the history behind the hotel, and I was certainly not disappointed with the service or accommodations. Absolutely stunning room! Wonderful location, and very helpful staff. I highly recommend it!

Room Tip: We stayed on the twenty-first floor. Loved having the private balcony!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 8909jmgh
Thank you for staying with us during such a special time, your twenty-fifth wedding anniversary. We are honored that we could be part it and we look forward to back in the not so distant future to your “home away from home” in New York.

Poconos
Reviewed 11 June 2014

Check in was seamless at the multilingual front desk. Our room was huge with TWO walk in closets, maid service TWICE a day, "you can hear a pin drop" quiet rooms, and excellent location for shopping, walking in Central Park, museums, and restaurants. We went to hear singer/actress Megan Hilty in the Café, and she was fabulous, but the food was average at best, and in my opinion, if the waiters have to ask you to move your chair every ten seconds so they can negotiate the landscape --- then it's TOO CROWDED! Checking out with our car in the adjacent parking garage was a bit clumsy. Lastly, it is overpriced, if only because you can get the same for half the price. However, that being said, we like the Carlyle and we'd return.

Room Tip: All the rooms are good.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank rozfineart
Thank you so much for staying with us on your recent visit to New York. I very much agree with you regarding our location as it allows you to be able within walking distance to great shopping, world-class museums and, of course, Central Park. In addition, I would like to apologize for the issues you experienced with the parking garage next door and while dining in the Café Carlyle Your feedback is absolutely essential to this hotel’s overall success.

Thank you again and I look forward to welcoming you back in the not so distant future.

London
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Have just completed a four-night stay at the Carlyle. The experience was excellent in all respects, and I have no hesitation in recommending the hotel. What distinguishes it above all is the sense of discrete, refined luxury. This creates a air of quiet contentment which is a welcome relief from the hustle and bustle outside the revolving doors. The decor is understated and elegant, witness the lobby and elevator area. My room was spacious, well planned, with a comfortable bed, and well stocked bathroom (bathtub and separate walk-in shower). Despite being directly on Madison, the room was remarkably quiet, so I had the best sleep on a two-week tour of the US.

Bemelman's Bar is an institution both for residents of NYC and visitors, and should absolutely not be missed. The decor and atmosphere is unique.

Staff, from the elevator attendants, to the bar, restaurant, and concierge, were unfailingly pleasant and attentive.

For those who have no need of see-and-be-seen, noise or bling, this is a perfect address in New York.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
On behalf of the entire Carlyle hotel staff, I would like to thank you for the kind words expressed in your review. I have shared it with our various departments and they were just as pleased as I was to receive such complimentary words.

Thank you for allowing us to be your “home away from home” while in New York and I look forward to welcoming in the not so distant future.

Rio de Janeiro
Reviewed 30 May 2014

The Carlyle is a high-class, very traditional hotel, now managed by the Rosewood chain, that added to it an impeccable service. Its location, next to the best NYC museums and art galleries, to some very special restaurants and on Madison Ave in a very nice area, gives you the comfort of quietude and a presence in the world. Its bar is maybe one of the best in NYC and the Carlyle Café, where you can dine at the sound of very good music is superb.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are exceptional
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you so much for your kind words and for choosing to stay with us while in New York. I am in absolute agreement that our location is ideal for anyone wishing for access to the city’s museums and art galleries. I hope we will be able to welcome you back to The Carlyle in the not so distant future.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 4 May 2014

My fiancee and I disagree on this one, but I think the Carlyle is an overpriced, stuffy antique. It's very formal, and sitting down for breakfast in the hotel restaurant/cafe is like having dinner on Downton Abbey. My other half explains that this is the point.

The rooms were nice, but we were paying 1k a night for a small suite that had windows with a view of a wall(inside). No terrace or view out, and we were there almost a week. I finally told my fiancee that we had to change hotels because I was losing my marbles.

The bed was too soft for me, and the decor fo the room felt very old (although not out of place).

Great gym staff, they have a trainer on duty who offers to help and guide you, pretty cool.

The quality of the food was great, but a boring menu with few options.

We saw Neil Young check out of the hotel along with what appeared to be a significant percentage of the Saudi royal family.

Hector, the manager was sharp as a tack and extremely helpful. He helped us switch rooms early in the stay and took care of several personal issues my fiancee and I had.

The only real negative that I can stand behind, besides the price (and hey, its NYC) is the water. There is(was) construction outside and maybe it was connected but on our last day my fiancee took a bath. She put in some bubble bath, so it was foamy. She didnt realize until she get in the water, but it was brown. And then the water that came out of the faucet was brown. After 30 seconds it cleared up. Disgusting. We called down to the front desk to inform them, and they said they would look into it. No one ever called us back(but we did check out 2 hours later). i also told the front desk about it whenI was checking out, but it was a hurried check out and we left quickly, so maybe they didn't have time to address.

Room Tip: If you are staying for a few days, spend the money and get a room that looks outward.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Crabjunkie
Thank you so much for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. It saddens me to hear that you plan on not returning to the hotel on your next visit. I can only hope you will accept my sincerest apologies for the inconveniences and disappointments you experienced during your stay from the lack of follow-up on an issue from our staff to the menu options offered in our dining outlets. It is simply inexcusable and I have reviewed your comments with our team who are currently addressing the issues.

If you wish to discuss further, we would be honored to speak with you regarding your stay. You may ask for my office directly or reach out to our Director of Operations, Massimiliano Puglisi, at 212.570.7163 or massimiliano.puglisi@rosewoodhotels.com.

Warmest regards,