The Carlyle, A Rosewood Hotel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
The Surrey(New York City)
The Mark(New York City)
  • Restaurant
Third Ave House(New York City)
View Hotel
The Franklin(New York City)
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Plaza Athenee(New York City)
  • Restaurant
Bristol Plaza(New York City)
  • Pool
Lowell Hotel(New York City)
  • Room Service
  • Fitness centre
The Melrose Hotel(New York City)
  • Bar/Lounge
Hotel Olcott(New York City)
  • Room Service
All reviewsupper east sidebemelmans barelevator operatorelevator attendantscentral parktower roomnew yorkmadison avenuehardwood floorsclassic hotelelevator servicepublic areasfour seasonshome away from homeliving roomrooms are comfortablewe've stayed
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 19 July 2014

The AC was not working so at 2am on our delayed arrival we got a suite on the 31 floor with views over Central Park back to Australia
We went back to our dog box suite the next day
The position is great , the bathrooms are tiny and we won't go back
The teacups were not replaced till we asked
Even has lift car operators
Had a spa treatment and they put on a tip and charge a fortune for phone calls
Also did not follow up a rebooking request POOR form

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Giovanni_Beretta, General Manager at The Carlyle, A Rosewood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 September 2014

I am always filled with disappointment when I hear about the lack of service that someone, like yourself, has received. It is simply inexcusable and I hope you will accept my sincerest apologies. We constantly strive to provide guests with exceptional service and I deeply regret that we were not able to uphold that goal on this occasion.

If you would like to discuss the issue further, we would be honored to speak with you. You may ask for my office directly or reach out to our Director of Operations, Massimiliano Puglisi, at +212 570 7163 or massimiliano.puglisi@rosewoodhotels.com.

+1 212 570 7187

Reviewed 18 July 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Carlyle from July 12-14th. We had asked for an early check in, which would be available (if the room was free) which it was not. However, not a problem as they held our bags and we headed out for a walk in the park and some lunch. The front desk treated us perfectly and that shows me that they care about who they are serving. They called us to let us know our room was ready.

The room itself was large and we were "upgraded" to as room with a walk in shower. That was a nice touch. Sadly, the walk in did have some very visible mold or mildew which I did notify the housekeeping about the next day (some areas, not all). It was cleaned, but it was "still there" if you know what I mean. The shower walls need a good scrub. The bath amenities are excellent!!! Turn down service was also very nice as we did this once as we declined the next day due to just needing the room for us.

Great location! We did not go to any of the shops or restaurants in the Carlyle but they appeared very nice from what I saw.

The doormen are top notch and on the ball. Had a doorman go all the way up to Madison just to wave us down a taxi. The elevator operators are also very nice.

Back to the rooms. Bed was comfortable and the rooms were very quiet...a huge bonus.

On the carpet we did find a pill. It made my wife wonder how often they actually vacuum the room. Overall it was very nice and the Hotel continues to carry on the old school charm.

My wife and I would gladly stay again.

We were in room 1005 on the 10th floor.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Giovanni_Beretta, General Manager at The Carlyle, A Rosewood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide us with your feedback and for staying with us. However, I hope you will accept my sincerest apologies for the issues you experienced within your accommodation. It is simply inexcusable.

If you would like to discuss your stay with us further, we would be honored to speak with you. You may ask for my office directly or reach out to our Director of Operations, Massimiliano Puglisi, at (212) 570-7163 or massimiliano.puglisi@rosewoodhotels.com.

(212) 570-7187

Reviewed 14 July 2014

The Carlyle is a classic New York experience. The rooms are very comfortable, and have hardwood floors with area rugs. Some suites even have a grand piano! The staff is very accommodating and genuine. You feel as though you are staying in an elegant mansion. Truly a wonderful experience and well worth the expense.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank bondoobay

I would like to sincerely thank you for the kind words and for staying with us back in April. It was a pleasure welcoming you and your family to our hotel, and I hope we will be able to see you all again on your next trip to New York.

Reviewed 13 July 2014

Now I get it. I know why people love this place. The location, the ambiance, the staff - The Carlyle has it all. They've thought of everything. It's pricey, of course, and I can only ever afford to stay there in the summer when rates dip. But whenever I want a summer getaway in NYC I'm checking The Carlyle first. It's nice to see how the 1% live.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Glenn J

I’m thrilled that you were able to stay with us and that you enjoyed the hotel. It was a pleasure having you and I sincerely hope we will be able to welcome you again in the not so distant future.

Reviewed 9 July 2014

White-gloved elevator staff lends an unusual ambience to this NYC historic hotel. Immaculate quiet and comfortable rooms except for some water damage cracks in walls. Water pressure in shower was minimal. Loved the free daily newspapers delivered to your door, plush robes, Kiehls toiletries, free wifi and water bottles. Buffet breakfast has all you could ask for although specialty eggs are extra. Expensive but worth it for a special treat. Great location to UES museums particularly the Metropolitan.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank APBWestchester_NY
Giovanni_Beretta, General Manager at The Carlyle, A Rosewood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2014

Thank you for staying with us recently. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your visit as a special treat. Although I hope you can accept my sincere apologies regarding the low water pressure and the condition of your room’s walls. I have addressed these issues with the appropriate departments.

I hope we will be able to welcome you back in the not so distant future.