“Fabulous Carlyle”

The Carlyle, A Rosewood Hotel
Ranked #289 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 6 July 2007

I have been staying at the Carlyle for years. I love this hotel more than any in the City. I have recently been charmed by the new rooms and always consistent service. In the past four years NY has lost so many hotel rooms to condo conversions, which makes it very difficult to get a room anywhere. The Carlyle still acts like they have competition and continues to put forth the effort to win and retain customer loyalty. I find the Carlyle is the best of the best in all areas of service, personal touches and care for their customers. It truly feels like I have a home in NYC, not a hotel room. The more you return, the more the staff gets to know you and things just happen. When I arrive for breakfast, they know me, my double cappucino arrives without asking and Norbert works hard to make everything perfect. Bemelman's Bar is truly an historic place that still is great fun. Great crowd and Tue-Sat Loston Harris treo plays amazing jazz. Heads of state to captains of industry all know this great hotel is the most luxurious and discreet.

Mr. James McBride runs a the hotel with a keen eye for service and expects perfection from his staf, this hotel truly operates on a five star level of excellence.

Stayed: June 2007
8  Thank MrMrsBDallas

Reviewed 22 May 2007

The hotel was just wonderful! Our room was the best we've stayed at in NYC. The service amazing and the hotel beautiful. No detail was left unturned. We will stay there again when we go back.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled on business
3  Thank FriscoTX_Traveler
Reviewed 23 April 2007

My husband and I stayed at The Carlyle with great expectation and terrible results in January, 2006. I was so frustrated that I wrote to the management and they kindly responded with an apology. Time has passed and my husband and I thought we would try again. I called the management office to make our reservation directly to make sure there would be none of the inconveniences of the last booking. They were very kind with making a booking with very little notice.
I've written on this website to offer constructive criticism and I will offer when hotels get it right. The Carlyle front staff was trying very hard to please us from the moment we walked into the door. The room was freshly updated and lovely.
The managment sent up a bottle of wine, scrumtious chocolate and grapes as an apology for the last visit.
The one down side (sorry guys) is the housekeeping staff just isn't on par with the a $800 night room. Turn down service shouldn't come at 6pm and when they do finally come they shouldn't turn down 1/2 the bed, and I shouldn't have had to call for a second hand towel. In addition, there were no face clothes nor any shower caps. What is it with the service at this hotel? Even if I were paying half that amount for a room I don't want to share a hand towel with my husband and I would expect face clothes.
The room service breakfast came exactly on time and was lovely and fresh.
One thing I don't understand from our previous visit and this visit. We drove to NYC from our home and valet parked the car with the hotel. When we gave the claim check to the front desk we expected the car to be brought around. We waited for that to happen. Each time we were told to take our bags and walk to the garage and get our car ourselves. This time we had to walk through the hotel laundry being loaded onto trucks to get to the garage. I don't understand if they can take the car from us in the front of the hotel when we arrive, why don't they deliver the car to us when we depart? I've never been to a hotel that makes me walk to my car with my luggage after I've paid a valet fee!
We had a great time at Bemelman's Bar and a lovely time all in all, but the service really needs to upgrade to include themselves in the 5* range.

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled as a couple
9  Thank LindaII
Reviewed 13 March 2007

Stayed at the Carlyle again recently, and despite what has been posted by some others, each stay was lovely and unspoiled by anything. It was always blissfully quiet in the hotel. The rooms we had were white glove clean and in very good condition with nothing worn or broken. The staff was helpful and never too busy to answer questions or assist right away. Vera Wang's is steps from the Madison Ave entrance and almost every top designer has a shop nearby making brousing a joy.

The largest suite (1501) we stayed in was spacious and felt like a real New York City apartment, not a soulless hotel room. It had fresh flowers throughout it and rich details in its moldings and draperies. We did not play the grand piano in the livingroom, but it was fun to have and we could catch a glimpse of Cental Park through the glass doors to the terrace, although it was far too cold to step out onto it. Room service was top notch - as expected. We did not have heated floors in any of our bathrooms this time - I did last fall and loved it, but the marble and glass baths were still luxurious with excellent shower pressure and lots of big thick towels.

A stay in a pretty but smaller suite on a lower floor was equally comfortable. I'd happily make the Carlyle my base if I moved back to NYC - after I win the lottery.

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled with family
4  Thank sunnyflies
Reviewed 1 February 2007

I always wanted to stay in the venerable Carlyle Hotel and I had my chance in November of 06 and I was back in the lobby in January 07. I love everthing about this property, I wish it were cheaper but in this case you get what you pay...loved the Sunday brunch and Bemelmens Bar and the door men and white gloved elevator operators...it's just as good as I imagined it would be. I can not wait to get back.

Stayed: January 2007
1  Thank Marcmarc
Reviewed 27 January 2007

I had been looking forward to staying at the Carlyle again. It had been seven years since my last visit. Upon arrival, my associate and I checked our luggage,as our rooms weren't ready (we were early, so that's not a problem) and went off to work. We returned to the hotel around 6:00 p.m. We were assigned our rooms then. Quite frankly, our rooms were so small, there wasn't even room for a regular size desk. There were no chairs other than at the small desk. We both asked to be moved to larger rooms and were accommodated in a nice manner.

The new rooms (slightly larger than the original..it did have one nice chair) were only average. By that I mean they were really in need of refurbishing. Sort of frayed around the edges like a nice old shirt. I found the level of service to be average. Often, the room service tray from the previous night was still in the room the next day after the room had been serviced. I had to ask for turndown service at 10:00 p.m., after returning from dinner. On a more serious note, I did not receive a scheduled wake-up call.

This grand dame is need of a serious face lift. Both the rooms and service need a lot of work!

• Stayed: January 2007, travelled on business
5  Thank landmike
Reviewed 23 January 2007

Stayed here for 4 nights and really enjoyed it - staff were friendly and the rooms were lovely...had a real charm old school feeling. Don't be put off by the negative reviews here....we really did not have anything to complain about, it was great

• Stayed: January 2007, travelled with friends