“Horror”

and 1 more site!
Hotel Carter
Ranked #418 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 23 February 2014

Booked to stay at the Carter for 3 nights.

I checked out after the first and would've checked out instantly had I had time to sort it.

The place is disgusting.

Dirty, old, worn.

It's honestly like the place where the blues brothers live.

To top it off I came down in the morning and there was a taped off murder scene to the right of the front door.

No kidding.

I got out of there right away.

• Stayed: January 2014
5  Thank NoelHT
sjpr2006, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Carter, responded to this reviewResponded 3 March 2014

Thank you for taking the time to describe your recent experience at Hotel Carter. I apologize that the accommodations were not up to standard. Thank you again

Write a ReviewReviews (4,296)

Reviewed 22 February 2014

Stayed at the Carter in September 2013 my wife and I were a bit worried about the bad reviews but we were pleasantly surprised, yes the rooms do show their age but the room was clean and had everything we needed, the hotel had great security and the staff was always friendly and helpful, we have stayed at many other hotels in the Times Square / theater district and really for the money it is a fantastic value.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank SRX440

Thank you for your kind words, particularly about the Hotel Carter Team. We take great pride in our people and feel strongly they are, hands down, our biggest asset. Rest assured your words will be shared with them. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 22 February 2014

After reading such bad reviews I wasn't sure what to expect, but being here now spending my first night I can say I made no mistake booking my 3 night stay here. Clean room, warm water with super high pressure, fast internet (slight fee), and comfy bed (no bed bugs), what more can it ask for? Sure the room is small and there's not allot happening in here aesthetically but it's very pleasant and perfect to come back to after a long day out exploring NYC. It was the perfect choice for me and my budget, I highly recommend it and I myself plan to say again on my next visit to this beautiful city.

Room Tip: They chose my room and I had no problems, if I did I'd simply ask for a different room.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Andrew P

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at Hotel Carter. I was glad to read that your stay was pleasant and met your needs without breaking the budget! Thank you again and hope to see you soon.

Reviewed 21 February 2014

After reading heaps of bad reviews we had our hopes set low, but once we arrived we didn't understand the fuzz. Our room was clean, the staff was friendly and we had everything we needed. And that for being so close to Times Square. Don't expect a Hilton or Sheraton, but if you're looking for a decent, safe, clean place to stay near Times Square that doesn't turn your pockets inside out, in my opinion this is it. We quite liked this place!

Okay, our TV wasn't able to stablize the sound, but hey: you're visiting NYC. I don't think you'll really need your tv that often. At times our room was really hot, however (even though it was freezing outside, so on the bright side: the heater works!).

We were staying at this place during new years eve. We won't bother you with the long version of our story (it was freezing cold and we ended up ditching the thing we wanted to do first, so we went back to the hotel). In case anyone is wondering about the balldrop while being in this hotel:

You can't see the ball drop at midnight by standing in front of Carter (we did not expect it, though). Although you do stand close, can hear the crowd shouting and counting down and see the confetti. You could see a countdown screen (or a part), but that is about it. The ball going up at 6 p.m. however can possibly be seen if you stand in the right angle, or just go to TS itself for it (the street of Carter gets shut down in parts, so for the first part of the evening you can still get fairly close, but by midnight you can't go any further as the hotel).

You have to go to TS itself early in advance if you really want to see the ball drop and experience the mass, although if you just want to stand near the mass without having to see the ball, an option is to wait until midnight and go stand in front of the hotel. It might get crowdy about half an hour before midnight, though.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bibsel

Thank you for taking the time to post your positive comments and share some great information with others. We look forward to your return trip to NYC.

Reviewed 18 February 2014

My cousin and I stayed there mostly because of the price, we stayed in the beginning of January everything was okay, we got what we paid for. It is very old, and moldy and it may not be dirty but it looked it a bit. The customer service was good they were friendly and helpful! All in all being so close to times square, good customer service, and fair price over weighed the mold and other iffy stuff about the rooms and hallways, it was just a couple of nights. Also i really liked the fact that the staff checked on us, i'm not sure who they were but they always asked us if we were okay or if we needed anything even the ladies cleaning always walked across the hall to ask us if we needed help, i'm guessing it was because we were just two girls all alone in time square for the first time, thanks for that! Made our trip a little bit more comfortable. Next time we go we will definitely be staying there.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
sjpr2006, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Carter, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2014

Reviewed 16 February 2014

We stayed at the Hotel Carter and was pleasantly surprised with our experience. Yes the hotel could use updates but it was very charming. Staff was pleasant and helpful. Will be staying there again soon!

• Stayed: January 2014
3  Thank Pinyee
sjpr2006, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Carter, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2014

Thank you for your feedback. We strive to provide the best service experience and it is great to read from our guest. We look forward to your return trip to NYC and of course be our guest again

Reviewed 15 February 2014

We spent 4 nights here at the start of February.

The hotel is clean and tidy, if a little dated. and the staff were all friendly.

The location is fantastic, half a block from Times Square, plenty of restaurants and bars within a short walk too.

I'm not sure about all the reviews about the rooms and so forth, ours was clean and to be fair, who goes to New York and spends time sitting in their hotel room, as far as I was concerned it had a bed and a shower, so it was perfect for what I was after.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Mercuryrises

Your kind comments are most welcome. We are indeed working hard on enhancements to our property - and we look forward to wowing you next time you honor us with a visit. Kind regards